It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 backing plate removal/e brakes and replacement comments
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

hi here are a few high level comments on replacing backing plates for the e brakes on a 2008 liberty. i suggest buying the whole kit of backing plate and ebrake shoes, springs, etc are all loaded on there. they are about $125 bucks each. you'll need one backing plate for each side. my backing plates were rusted beyond saving (live in MA). to get them off is pretty easy once you take off the calipers, disks, and then the axles come out. the backing late/ebrake assembly came off with some heat. the antiskid sensors were pretty mangled in the process so i bought new ones ahead of time. to get the axles out was a new repair for me. there are very helpful youtube videos on the C clip removal, etc. i watched a video from bleepin jeep for an XJ and it was exactly the same process. I was intimidated since i've never remove a half shaft axle like that but it was pretty easy. getting off the 8mm locking bolt took a long extension since the angle is subtle. i installed with locktite per bleeping suggestions. for me the most arduous task was cleaning the old gasket material off the diff cover. now i will have to adjust the newly installed e brakes but that is another story.