It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starter will not engage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looking for a parasite draw pulled fuses 1 at a time and replaced in same location I pulled them from. Went to try and start all dash lights work when turning key to run location nothing happens when turned to the start location no click nothing. Doing research I can pull the starter relay run 12volt power to the pin and starter will spin so starter is good. swapped relays still nothing. Battery load tested it is good. Pulled ALL fuses and did a continuity test all good. read about the ignition problem bought and installed new ignition just the wiring part not the key part still nothing. The little black plastic rod was still intact so it's not broken. At a total loss if no answer it gets towed to Jeep dealer

Post subject: Re: Starter will not engage
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:16 pm 

srk9 wrote:
Looking for a parasite draw pulled fuses 1 at a time and replaced in same location I pulled them from. Went to try and start all dash lights work when turning key to run location nothing happens when turned to the start location no click nothing. Doing research I can pull the starter relay run 12volt power to the pin and starter will spin so starter is good. swapped relays still nothing. Battery load tested it is good. Pulled ALL fuses and did a continuity test all good. read about the ignition problem bought and installed new ignition just the wiring part not the key part still nothing. The little black plastic rod was still intact so it's not broken. At a total loss if no answer it gets towed to Jeep dealer

What year model? Any OBD codes?
Have you tried starting it in Neutral instead of Park?

In the Power Distribution Center under the hood:
When you turn the ign switch to the "ON/RUN" position, do you have 12v power on both sides of fuse #28?
If you don't, problem is in your ign switch or the mechanical rod that operates it.

With Ign switch in the "ON/RUN" position and fuse #28 confirmed good, you should have 12v power on terminal #86 (pin 6) at the starter relay plugin.
With Ign switch in the "ON/RUN" position, and you jump across connectors 30 to 87 (pins 9 to 10) at the starter relay, does the starter spin and engage and start the engine?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a 2011 kk and I just had the same problem this morning but wife tried a couple times and nothing But she said she heard a click one time from inside the jeep when trying the first time then I tried and nothing, then I did finally get it to start but I left the ignition on for about 20-30 seconds and it fired up no Obd codes the entire time
, anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Had mine towed to Dodge Jeep dealer said I needed a TIPM the box with all the fuses. On back order third in line been over a month at dealer. Got part number found one in Florida suppose to arrive my house tomorrow 2-20-23. Will take part to dealer for install watched it done on you tube doesn't seem all that hard to install. everything worked on mine but would not engage starter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

srk9 wrote:
Had mine towed to Dodge Jeep dealer said I needed a TIPM the box with all the fuses. On back order third in line been over a month at dealer. Got part number found one in Florida suppose to arrive my house tomorrow 2-20-23. Will take part to dealer for install watched it done on you tube doesn't seem all that hard to install. everything worked on mine but would not engage starter.

Any updates?

I think I am going to have to replace mine as well, would you mind sharing where you found yours and what you paid for just the TIPM? I am looking and buying a rebuilt but not sure yet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

For my part I got the part number needed from the dealer typed it into the search box and it came back showing who had them and how much. I called to make sure they had the part in stock and were not just going to order one for me. I found mine at Factory Chrysler Parts in Florida. Cost was $759.00 core charge $125.00 shipping and Handling 26.33 Total 910.33. Cost me $33.00 to ship the core back to them from Calif. Dealer charged me $500 for diagnostic fee, install, and program up grade. There are also companies that do a recondition of the part and you tube video's how to install them. The repair tech did note on my receipt that he got it to start by wigging the wires that connect to the box but recommend a new box. I'm talking about all the connection plugs on the bottom of the box. Watch the video on how to remove and install and do it. It could be that un-connecting and connecting again could solve your problem. Knowing then what I know now that's what I would have done before having it towed to the dealer. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info!