It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kk 2008 2.8 CRD. CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:47 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone come across this CRANKS BUT DOESN’T START!

I’ve got a 2008 kk CRD 2.8,
I was driving up the freeway and my car shut down lost all steering and engine died. I plugged my scanner in and it’s been throwing crankshaft sensor P0336 codes but when I looked at live data on my scanner it I’ve noticed I have only 280-300psi fuel pressure when cranking it will then spike to 3000psi and the car will kick over for a second then it dies instantly and fuel pressure drops back to 280-300psi whilst cranking.

Has anyone come across this issue? I’m almost sure it’s the pressure regulator but I’m just here to ask for some advice!

Thanks everyone!

Post subject: Re: kk 2008 2.8 CRD. CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:08 pm 

Kk CRD 2.8 wrote:
Has anyone come across this CRANKS BUT DOESN’T START!
I’ve got a 2008 kk CRD 2.8,
I was driving up the freeway and my car shut down lost all steering and engine died. I plugged my scanner in and it’s been throwing crankshaft sensor P0336 codes but when I looked at live data on my scanner it I’ve noticed I have only 280-300psi fuel pressure when cranking it will then spike to 3000psi and the car will kick over for a second then it dies instantly and fuel pressure drops back to 280-300psi whilst cranking.
Has anyone come across this issue? I’m almost sure it’s the pressure regulator but I’m just here to ask for some advice!
Thanks everyone!
Very Common Issue!
P0336 -- Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor – range/performance problem Insecure sensor/rotor, air gap, wiring, CKP sensor
Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor, they commonly fail on these vehicles with age. And when they fail, they commonally never set a DTC, you are lucky that it set one to tell you what your issue is.
Replace it from underneath vehicle while jacked up or on a lift. Not a real bad job, takes about 30-45 minutes.
CPS (crankshaft position sensor) - 5066882AA
Duralast Crankshaft Position Sensor PN: SU8492 (OEM Bosch Part in AutoZone Box)

CPS is behind this heat shield:

Close up view of CPS location:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Re: kk 2008 2.8 CRD. CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks heaps for the reply.

I have already changed my crankshaft position sensor with a brand new one from Jeep it’s a VM motori one as here in Australia you cannot get aftermarket ones, mine is located underneath the engine in the back of the bell-housing, my turbo is mounted a lot lower on my model CRD.

After changing it is still throwing a crankshaft code, after further investigation with my live data on cranking I have only 280-300psi of fuel pressure and it needs 2900psi to start, after cranking for full crank cycle it will build 3000psi and go to fire but stops instantly drops fuel pressure again and starts to crank itself again. Then I think it’s only throwing the code because I don’t have enough fuel pressure and it tried to start itself.

Do you have any information on this happening?