It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flushed heater core. Found metal particles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Wasn't getting heat from my 2012 Liberty. Took out the actuator for the blend door. Got a little more heat, but not much. Decided to flush the heater core. Didn't believe it could be needed with only 33,000 on the machine. Flushed in from both the in and out pipes three times. Flushed water was a little murky, and I found metal particles in the bottom of the bucket. They can be picked up with a magnetic.

Does anyone have ideas on where they came from? Could be left from the engine manufacturing or the pump is slowly dying, but I can't find any reports on that.

Heat is now normal, like it should be.

To flush I used a drill pump, connected to a 5/8 in hose. Pumped from one bucket, into the core, and out, into another bucket where I found the particles. Pump and hose cost me about $38.

Post subject: Re: Flushed heater core. Found metal particles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Wayside Charlie wrote:
Wasn't getting heat from my 2012 Liberty. Took out the actuator for the blend door. Got a little more heat, but not much. Decided to flush the heater core. Didn't believe it could be needed with only 33,000 on the machine. Flushed in from both the in and out pipes three times. Flushed water was a little murky, and I found metal particles in the bottom of the bucket. They can be picked up with a magnetic.

Does anyone have ideas on where they came from? Could be left from the engine manufacturing or the pump is slowly dying, but I can't find any reports on that.

Heat is now normal, like it should be.

To flush I used a drill pump, connected to a 5/8 in hose. Pumped from one bucket, into the core, and out, into another bucket where I found the particles. Pump and hose cost me about $38.

Iron or steel particles. Dont think there is any other weird alloys in there that would be magnetic.
Dont know if the impeller in the water pump is steel. otherwise it maybe casting dross from the engine block casting.

Post subject: Re: Flushed heater core. Found metal particles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Been a VERY long time since I've posted but FWIW, I still have my 09 Liberty. Still kicking myself for not getting ATH's rear steel bumper (got the front one), but water under the bridge. Oh, and moved from SE Michigan to the gulf coast (Mississippi) back in mid 2023. Anyway, I got my heater core replaced in 2023. No metal particals but they said it was VERY clogged up. Most of the work was taking the dash off to get to it. Now that I moved to where it's hot to warm 90% of the year, don't really need it. :ROTFL:

Oh, need to change my avatar location. :JEEPIN:

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain