It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What kind of Buffer?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've been looking at buffers lately to make waxing the beast alittle quicker. What kind of buffers do you all use? I looked at meguiars buffers but they are $225 which is alittle to much for me to spend. I want a Dual Action buffer that rotates and orbits. They have a cordless buffer thats only $90 but its not dual action. Thanks guys! :)

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: Porter Cable
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Porter Cable orbital buffers are considered to be the best you can get. At least that was the overwhelming comments I saw on various forums about a year ago when I was looking. Not sure about dual action though...

I believe there are two model numbers but they are almost identical. Here's a quick link to one that I found, which is the one I have and love to use.

http://www.detailcity.com/porter-cable-7424-dual-action-polisher.html
http://www.detailcity.com/polishing-paint-with-dual-action-polisher.html

And a good detailing forum..

http://www.autopia.org

And another kinda how-to..

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=orbital_handpolishing#ORBITAL%20POLISHING

2005 Renegade
LOST #000681

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 am 
LOST Addict

Wax on....wax off :lol:

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:21 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I buff my Jeep with tree branches and shrubbery.

Oh, rocks too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Amarony! What kind of pads do you use? I by all means do not need any type of cutting pads. Do I want the finishing pad or the polishing pad? Ill be using the meguiars 3 step process which is Paint Cleaner, polish, then wax. Would I need to get 3 different pads or just clean and reuse the same one? How long will one of those things last?

Edit: It is ok to use the meguiars 3 step with a buffer, right?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Thanks Amarony! What kind of pads do you use? I by all means do not need any type of cutting pads. Do I want the finishing pad or the polishing pad? Ill be using the meguiars 3 step process which is Paint Cleaner, polish, then wax. Would I need to get 3 different pads or just clean and reuse the same one? How long will one of those things last?

Edit: It is ok to use the meguiars 3 step with a buffer, right?

I went ahead and ordered the Lake County pads that are listed on one of those pages. Those along with a velcro backing plate are pretty slick and easy. Unless you're trying to buff out scratches, the heaviest pad I'd get is a polishing (white) pad and a waxing/finishing pad (black). I'd guess that you'd be best suited for 2 whites and black to finish off then on yours. The Lake County ones are pretty sturdy and should last a long time as long as you clean them after you use them. They seem to be top of the line pads. I imagine you could reuse the white for the first 2 steps but i'm two lazy to do that much cleaning myself. I'm sure they'll go just fine with the Meguires line. And actually now that I think of it, I know there is another how-to video somewhere on the Meguire site the mentions using an orbital polisher. The polisher makes life sooooo much easier when waxing and polishing!

2005 Renegade
LOST #000681

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:38 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

for $ 230 you can get a DeWalt polisher with variable speed & you can either get the velcro set up or an adaptor so you can use a 2 sided pad

Wool pads are the best for cutting

Foam pads are best for polishing & final buffing

a good tip is after the wax is applied use the buffer to strip it off with very light pressure at high rpm it will give it a deep shine I always did that when I was detailing cars for a living & on my own vehicles & never had a problem ,tight places are a pain though those you have to do by hand

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks guys! I went ahead and ordered the PC buffer from that site you gave me Amarony. I read for over 2hours on that autopia forum before deciding. It comes with a backing plate and 1 polishing pad, so I went ahead and got one finishing pad. I would like to of gotten more pads, but funds are running low. :?

It was only $141w/shipping, purty good price I thought.

-Atlantic Blue
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Meguiars DA buffer. It is great. It is made by Porter Cable and is actually cheaper without the Meguiars label on it

As for pads, you need a separate pad for the different products you are using. You should never mix use one pad with different products as you will end up contaminating them and they wont be any good. Dont clean them either, just kind of beat the old products off the pad before you reuse it. At least that is what I was told by the people from Meguairs

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DoverKJ wrote:
I have the Meguiars DA buffer. It is great. It is made by Porter Cable and is actually cheaper without the Meguiars label on it

As for pads, you need a separate pad for the different products you are using. You should never mix use one pad with different products as you will end up contaminating them and they wont be any good. Dont clean them either, just kind of beat the old products off the pad before you reuse it. At least that is what I was told by the people from Meguairs

Yup, Ive only used them once and had to wash them since I had more products to use than pads. Some day I will get more pads to take care of that problem. After I do, I will never wash them again. :wink: Only a couple more products(#80, maybe #83) and im done getting stuff. :D

The reason the meguiars one is so much more is b/c it comes with a lifetime warranty.

-Atlantic Blue
Lost #007082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

I bought the DA buffer directly from meguiars, but they forgot to put the label on it so it stll says porter cable. I bought a package at a show that included everything for the buffer and was price about $250 total.

You will never end up buying stuff to use on the paint. Its a never ending cycle almost at bad as buying the parts for the Jeep itself. On a good note, with a DA buffer you end up using a lot less product then applying it by hand.

LOST #070673

http://www.delawareja.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DoverKJ wrote:
I bought the DA buffer directly from meguiars, but they forgot to put the label on it so it stll says porter cable. I bought a package at a show that included everything for the buffer and was price about $250 total.

You will never end up buying stuff to use on the paint. Its a never ending cycle almost at bad as buying the parts for the Jeep itself. On a good note, with a DA buffer you end up using a lot less product then applying it by hand.

Yea i know, but now that im in school I dont have time for it, so it must come to an end. :cry:

-Atlantic Blue
Lost #007082