It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water stains on seats
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:50 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a 2005 Sport, with the Khaki cloth seats. I left my windows down a crack and it rained, now I have spots on the seats. Any advice on cleaning these and then waterproofing them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:12 am 
clean machine
clean machine

I have the grey cloth seats too. I tried everything I could find, including a "professional" car cleaning service, and nothing took out the stains. I tried spray Oxy Clean and rinsed it out good with a damp sponge. When it dried the seats were like brand new. :shock: IDK much about the various waterproofing options, but the "professional" car cleaning service claimed they had waterproofed the seats. If they did, it wasn't worth what they charged. I'm just going to stick with the Oxy Clean if the seats get stained again. It doesn't take long and it's not expensive. You might try a small area on your seat just in case the fabrics are different from one year to another: mine's an 03.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Awsome, I will try that, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just went to Walmart and bought Oxy Cleaner, no more stains, awesome!!

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

I used Armor All carpet and upholstry cleaner. Worked like a charm.

2005 Liberty CRD *SOLD*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:52 am 
LOST Newbie

we left the windown down and the rain stained the seats in ours too... Salesman said he had never seen that before, then I told him, well give me a bottle of water and lets go try one... in the show room, they are going to remove the stains next oil change... But I looked into seat covers $429 CDN... Ouch- any one know of some less expensive covers???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Sad when water stains isn't it? I'll try the Oxy and Armor All on mine. Thanks guys.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:45 am 
LOST Newbie

So my wife brings her Liberty in to have the oil changed (she's 7 months pregnent) and tell them about the water stains... They told her no problem they clean them off the seats & give here a loaner b/c they'll have to keep it in overnight with the windows open and fume it out after cleaning the seats? WtF are they using thats to bad for her not to drive the jeep home tonight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm guessing dry cleaning fluid - it's a solvent so it evaporates - cleans stains really well - and really bad for you to breathe - actually at 7 months - she's more sensitive to smells and it might bother her later.

http://www.purdue.edu/dp/envirosoft/housewaste/house/drycl.htm
The perchloroethylene is the most common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 am 
LOST Member

snowsport wrote:
I have the grey cloth seats too. I tried everything I could find, including a "professional" car cleaning service, and nothing took out the stains. I tried spray Oxy Clean and rinsed it out good with a damp sponge. When it dried the seats were like brand new. :shock: IDK much about the various waterproofing options, but the "professional" car cleaning service claimed they had waterproofed the seats. If they did, it wasn't worth what they charged. I'm just going to stick with the Oxy Clean if the seats get stained again. It doesn't take long and it's not expensive. You might try a small area on your seat just in case the fabrics are different from one year to another: mine's an 03.

This tip saved my Liberty from being sold prematurely due to my wife’s disgust of the numerous stains inflicted by mud, sodas, kids, and just plain water on our gray fabric seats. I’ve tried numerous upholstery and carpet cleaners. Every time, the stains come back within a few days or weeks. Last month I followed this tip and the stains are gone for good – or at least until we get them dirty again with fresh mud.

This is what I did. I purchased an Oxy fabric spot remover spray for about $5 from Wal-Mart. I sprayed it on directly to the spots and then lightly over the rest of the seat. Then I used a sponge to apply controlled rinsing quantities of clean water to the seats and used a wet/dry vacuum to suck the dirty water out. When you scrub the fabric with the wet sponge over fabric that still has Oxy cleaner in it, it foams up covering the fabric with white fizz. I repeated applying water with the sponge and vacuuming it out until the fabric no longer fizzed white with Oxy cleaner foam. Parked under a hot Texas sun the seats mostly dried within 3 hours. By the next morning they were completely dry.

I tested one seat (the dirtiest) about 6 weeks ago. The results were perfect – like new – and the stains have not returned. I treated the rest of the interior (including carpets) about two weeks ago with similarly good results.

When I emptied the wet/dry vacuum, the water looked like hot chocolate with un-dissolved chocolate mix (sludge) in the bottom of the mug. I did not try to drink it.

'05 Sport 4X4, 3.7L - Black | Frankenlift II Premium, JBA KJ Lifted A-Arms 4.5 | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - LT245/75R16, Load C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 pm 
LOST Member

Im going to try this OxyClean. For a while I didn't care about what my Jeep looked like at all and would drive up and down the coast in my wet wetsuit looking for more surf spots. Now from the salt water there is white stains all over the seat. I tried a few things to get them out and nothing worked. Im hoping this will do the trick.

Post subject: Re: Water stains on seats
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:04 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

The TSB calls for simple house liquid dish washing soap and water. You make a weak solution with warm water, then sponge it on without soaking the seat. Wet vac it off, then repeat with clean cool water until it stops foaming. They claim there is an inert material that surfaces when water in introduced and it held in suspension until dry.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

just used the spray oxy clean today ...worked like a charm :BANANA:

First Car 03' Sport 4x4; air deflector; debadged; Frankenlifted; Gen 4.5 UCA's; Custom Mesh Grille Inserts; Flowmaster Super 44; 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2's; Unique Series 42 "D" Wheels; Sony T330 CD Receiver Head Unit;Kicker 12" sub;Kicker 400.1 Amp

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3158614

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 am 
LOST Newbie

i cant wait to try this. i have the same issue with mine. and have tryed everthing so i thought. i will be doing it this weekend. thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:51 am 

I did the oxiclean method a few weeks back. The seats look like new again. One word of caution though, it was windy that day, and some of the spray got onto the plastic interior pieces as well as down the back doors outside skin. It wasn't noticeable until it dried white. I'd wipe it off and it would come back. Took some real elbow grease and soap and water to kill them for good.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had never had any fabric get stained from rain till this libby, what was jeep thinking using such stain proned fabric? covered my seats with seat covers now the problem is solved, and the seats covers wipe off no matter whats spilled.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for posting this! I'm definently going to try OxyClean tomorrow. I have been trying to get rid of the stains for awhile now. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:47 pm 

jakethesnake wrote:
Thanks for posting this! I'm definently going to try OxyClean tomorrow. I have been trying to get rid of the stains for awhile now. :D

The trick, if you don't have some super sucker vac, it to spread a towel on the seat after you apply it, climb in and sit on the seat in an attempt to blot the liquid out so it dries faster.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the tip :!:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 am 
LOST Newbie

He works best to clean the whole seat to prevent the edges where it was cleaned from where it was not. Otherwise you have feathers on the edges of wetlands of water / cleaning solution from the middle of the area to be cleaned to reduce the edge of the wetland to be seen.