It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: few questions
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 pm 
Got Groceries?

Ok

1. what is the best tire cleaner that will not harm my painted wheels?

2. Is tire shine stuff good or bad for tires? I have heard both.

3. Explain the process of using a clay bar. I've never done it and would prefer not to ruin my paint.

4. will a rubbing compound be easier/effective on waterspots than with a clay bar?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

clay bar:

wash and then dry your jeep
i use regular old dawn dishwashing liquid - not the kind with lotions and what not, found it helps get oils and bugs and what not off plus helps pull off old wax

i do my drying with a shammy or a microfiber towel

then i go back over find any scratches/bugs and touch them up with kitt scratch remover or the meguires x20 or whatever it is

i cut my clays into 3rds and put the extra 2 pieces back in the bag stow them incase i drop my piece

clays come with a lube, i work pannel by pannel, hood i do in 2 halves, roof i do in 4 quarters

spray the lube on the pannel or section, cup the clay in your palm and slide it over the section when it stops pickin up trash , flip it to the other side when that side stops pickin up trash play with it like silly putty until youve got 2 fresh sides again

oh, and hte clay shouldnt stick to the pannel it should glide, if it sticks or is leaving stuff behind, you need to use more lube

#4 rubbing compounds

i do not use anything more than an ultra microabrasive, the mequires X29 or whatever it is is the most abrasive thing i will use and that's only on the worst parts

i usually use the cheep Kitt scratch remover, it's very good at removing waterspots

it's not a bad idea to go over the bad waterspots with a clearcoat safe scratch remover to help in the cleaning process but the clay bar will usually get every bit of waterspot off

#1 tire cleaner - non alkaline dishwashing soap and a microfiber rim stick (it's like a sponge like stick with microfiber covering)

#2 tire shine - ehh, i use water based stuff occasionally , i stay away from the silicons

the silicons seem to last a long time but once they errode off the tires look like a suede brown :(

good for them? i don't know, bad for them? i dont know that either

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632