It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detailing Engine Bay
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:02 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Not so much detailing, but has anyone cleaned their engine bay on a CRD? I haven't in almost 64,000 miles and it is beginning to get a little grungy with trail dust and all. I know to get foaming engine cleaner, but specifically, are there any areas to avoid getting wet, or is this thing bullet proof and hose water don't matter a bit? I once hosed a Buick's engine, and the dash lights lit up light a christmas tree afterwards until it dried out.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

Post subject: Re: Detailing Engine Bay
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fusebox/ computer needs to be covered... any electrical parts or anything that might burn out cover... also you intake etc

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

I figured all that. I guess I was just hoping that if you can put a snorkle on this thing and go submarineing, then it could take a little water. Best to error on caution I suspect. thanks.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 pm 
LOST Addict

On the 3.7 the air box has a drain....not sure about a CRD...

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HoosierJeeper wrote:
On the 3.7 the air box has a drain....not sure about a CRD...

If you mean the little 1/4" hole at the bottom that's exposed down to the inside of the wheel-well by the radiator, yep, it does.

With respect to protecting the electrics in the engine bay, I usually hand-clean the major electric items with some disposable wipes then put a small sandwich bag or a plastic grocery bag over each and wrap a little tape around with with the bottom facing down (as much as possible). That keeps 99% of the water out and it's a cheap, fast, and easy way to protect the electronics. As for the sensors and other plugs that have gaskets in the connectors, they're designed to resist moisture and usually sealed with dielectric grease (or they are after the first time I open and re-close them, hint, hint.) so don't sweat them too much and just avoid putting a direct high-pressure spray on them.

If you do get water into a sensor connector (the diagnostic codes will tell you which one :) ), a little wd-40 will clean the contacts and prevent corrosion (then go seal the plug with the grease when you're done). In fact, the WD-40 is probably a good thing to use on the tough spots of the CRD anyway. I've found murphy's oil soap gets diesel residue off pretty well without being too harsh. That's taken the place of gojo at my house next to the washroom sink.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids