It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Freshner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

I was just wondering who makes the strongest i.e. longest lasting airfreshner, preferably what car detailers would use. I just quit smoking and I really want the stench out of there!

Otherwise stock!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2290621
--------------------------------
Ex-Chinook Flight Engineer ( you call, we haul )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:41 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

air fresheners don't last long at all,what I do is spray FREBREEZE,they do have one for cars & it will kill the odor you may have to spray a few times don't know how bad the smell is ? I smoke & I try to do it once a month,usualy I just spray the whole head liner & let the mist fall as it may if it's realy bad you also can hit the carpet with it, it works for me you'd never know I'm a smoker,hope this helps :)

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you know smoking kills you? :(

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:20 am 
LOST Member

Just me, but when I smoked, I didn't do it in my vehicles. I would pull over if I needed a fix that bad. I hated the smoke smell in cars.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Turtle wax makes a carpet shampoo/multi-purpose cleaner called interior 1/with Odor-X, green can yellow brush top. I've used this stuff for about 5 years, and it works great. I've gotten horrible stains and smells out with it. I even use it on the carpet at home when the dog pukes. I buy the stuff at Walmart. I will say this though, on our old Sport I hadn't treated the seats and we had some of the "water spots" that liberty seats get because of the weird fabric they use. I don't have that problem in our non-DC vehicle, and I haven't tried it in our new Renegade yet, but I Scotchguarded the seats the day I brought it home. You might check out their carpet shampoo (Scotchguard)and fabric protector as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

I use Japanese air fresheners in my Libby. They are much higher quality and MUCH, MUCH better smelling than American air fresheners. I have a very sensitive nose, and will often get a headache if I walk through the perfume section of Macys department stores. American air fresheners give me a headache because of the cheap harsh chemicals they use, but I have never gotten a headache with the JDM air fresheners --even though they can be quite strong, they are still refreshing.

When shopping for Japanese air freshener, I recommend a brand called Air Spencer. They have a few different smells, but the most popular is a fragrance called "squash" (with variations including "rich squash", "light squash", "marine squash"). It's a very unique smell thats sort of a mixture of sweet smelling cotton candy and some fresh smelling citrus fruit. Its actually quite indescribable, but its very good smelling. I receive compliments from passengers all the time on my air freshener.

And they also make odor and smoke removing air fresheners too! Just type in "Japanese air freshener" on Ebay. Air Spencer usually goes for about 10 bucks for the starter kit, which includes the dispenser which clips to your air vent. Refills usually average about 6 bucks here in San Francisco Japantown, but since you'd probably have to order it online, it would be between 7-10 bucks for the refill. It's definitely more pricey than American fresheners, but its worth it IMHO.

02 Sport in Stone White
-AEM CAI, Borla XS muffler
-Duralast Premium rotors and PFC pads in front (rotors are cool but the pads suck); Satisfied pads in back drums
-6k HID mains, Hella 500 high beams
-Yokohama Geolandar HTS 235/70 R16
-smoke corners with silver turn signal bulbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

I smoke as well, best way to get the smell out that i've found is to febreeze the entire enterior good and proper like one night, to the point where you cant breathe in the car. Leave your windows down for the night and it should be pretty good in the morning, spray some air freshner of your choice, new car smell, axe, you name it.

Another good way i've found is to get one of those Water cleaning machines that you mix water and detergent in the resivoir and spray it onto the carpets then just suck it up after a few minutes. This will help alot!

Depending what seats you have, you can take the covers off and wash them to get ride of some of the smell.

Worst comes to worst just spray an entire can of axe one night and leave the windows up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

You need to clean everything you can in the car. Not just the upholstery, but the vinyl, glass, headliner, etc too. If you were a heavy smoker there's probably a film on the inside of the windows which will actually have the odor in it. Dont just shine the vinyl, find a good vinyl cleaner then shine it afterward.

If you cant get a carpet shampooer, get some liquid carpet cleaner, and dilute it down for spot cleaning, carpet cleaning or whatever. Put it in a sprayer bottle and lightly dump it around your carpet and scrub with a stiff bristled brush. You dont need to soak it, but there should be enough so you can scrub it all around the carpet. Use a shop vac to suck everything up. Its not as easy as a steam extractor, but its very effective. You can also spray it down with the foaming carpet cleaner and lightly mist the carpet with a garden hose and scrub...and then shop vac. Mix a mild solution in a spray bottle for the headliner. Be more careful with the headliner. Spray it on, lightly scrub it, and wipe it off with a cloth. Leave the doors open in the sun for awhile to let everything dry. Then just Febreze the hell out of all the fabric, starting with the headliner.

This usually works on the cars that I get at the shop. We even have odor foggers that work like ant bombs and just fill the entire car with an odor killing scent. There is so much of it, that its supposed to force its way into vents and cracks. Its serious overkill, but it works. 8)

These are just some tips for someone who doesnt have access to the same stuff a detailing shop may have. The place I work at now used to be extremely cheap and you had to make do with what you had. But now I have almost everything..but they are still cheap!

*Pro Car Detailer*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:13 am 
Only in a Jeep!
Only in a Jeep!

Nah, all you need is OZIUM...... you can get it at wall mart or some other auto stores, in the Air freshener section..... It's like $5 for a 3.5 oz can but you only spray it for 1 sec. each time.... Read the directions on the can!!!!
I swear it works....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Congratulations on quiting.

I use febreeze

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

cdiekhans wrote:
Nah, all you need is OZIUM...... you can get it at wall mart or some other auto stores, in the Air freshener section..... It's like $5 for a 3.5 oz can but you only spray it for 1 sec. each time.... Read the directions on the can!!!!
I swear it works....

agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:01 pm 
I live here
I live here

Another cheap but effective option is to take liquid fabric softener and dilute it into a spray bottle. It also reduces static electricity when you step out of your KJ (if your seat was sprayed).

Just choose your scent and level of dilution.

This is probably how Febreeze was created.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:14 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
Another cheap but effective option is to take liquid fabric softener and dilute it into a spray bottle. It also reduces static electricity when you step out of your KJ (if your seat was sprayed).

Just choose your scent and level of dilution.

This is probably how Febreeze was created.

Did you learn this while in Athens and using the good stuff from Meigs County ?? Just joking here.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Rayze78 wrote:
You need to clean everything you can in the car. Not just the upholstery, but the vinyl, glass, headliner, etc too. If you were a heavy smoker there's probably a film on the inside of the windows which will actually have the odor in it. Dont just shine the vinyl, find a good vinyl cleaner then shine it afterward.

If you cant get a carpet shampooer, get some liquid carpet cleaner, and dilute it down for spot cleaning, carpet cleaning or whatever. Put it in a sprayer bottle and lightly dump it around your carpet and scrub with a stiff bristled brush. You dont need to soak it, but there should be enough so you can scrub it all around the carpet. Use a shop vac to suck everything up. Its not as easy as a steam extractor, but its very effective. You can also spray it down with the foaming carpet cleaner and lightly mist the carpet with a garden hose and scrub...and then shop vac. Mix a mild solution in a spray bottle for the headliner. Be more careful with the headliner. Spray it on, lightly scrub it, and wipe it off with a cloth. Leave the doors open in the sun for awhile to let everything dry. Then just Febreze the hell out of all the fabric, starting with the headliner.

This usually works on the cars that I get at the shop. We even have odor foggers that work like ant bombs and just fill the entire car with an odor killing scent. There is so much of it, that its supposed to force its way into vents and cracks. Its serious overkill, but it works. 8)

These are just some tips for someone who doesnt have access to the same stuff a detailing shop may have. The place I work at now used to be extremely cheap and you had to make do with what you had. But now I have almost everything..but they are still cheap!

Years back when I quit I had hypnosis in a group and surpisingly it worked. The next day I found myself reaching for my front shirt pocket but didn't was a cig, just sort of a reflex Smoked for 15 years. Any way they said to help do an entire cleaning job and additionally take all your clothes to the cleaner so the smell wouldn't remind you. Right before we all got hypnotised they had us go out of the room for a half hour and chain smoke as many cigs in that time as possible , then throw everything lighters extra cigs and anything related to smoking. Frebreze is great didn't have it when I quit but whish I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

cdiekhans wrote:
I swear it works....

Yep. It's been around for years. Used it in the 70s when I was in high school. Won't say why though. :shock: :-)r :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

febreeze - powder and pamper

it smells like you've had a bunch of nice Strippers riding in your Jeep

smells gooood :D

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632