It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Something that alot of people might not know about...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

A lot of people wash and wax their car for years and wonder why it's losing its luster and looks dirty. Usually, all you need to do is go buy a claybar, and then de-wax your car, wash it, claybar it, and then re-wax it, it will take the better part of a day, but it will look a zillion times better.

Oh, and if you have hard water spots on your side view mirrors, use the claybar on that too, and dont forget there's always time for lube, so use plenty whenever you are using a claybar.

Here's alot of information about detailing. I remember this guy when he was getting his site together, and was a frequenter on the Mercury Cougar NECO boards. He's a very helpful guy, and he knows his stuff too.

http://www.thedetailingbible.com/

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/304497/1

Post subject: re: NECO
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:18 pm 
LOST Member

good to see another NECO guy in here!.. although I'm here and someone else has my NECO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 am 
LOST Member

the mother claybar and detailing spray works well (although it is a bit pricey for such a small bar). can be found at any advance auto parts

oh...dont drop the clay bar!!!! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:37 am 
LOST Member

I wouldn't waste my money on the detailing bible. You can get better information on http://www.autopia.org and it's free! If you have any questions, fire away. I'm no expert, but I detail vehicles as a side job. I'll post pictures of my KJ next week after the show and shine compitition at MI. Off Road Company.

OR, you can go to this site http://www.bettercarcare.com for great tutorials. There is a downloadable tutorial guide from autopia and it's free. You will not find a bigger car fanatic than us Autopians.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject: clay bar
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Claybars are awesome no doubt about it. It takes forever but when you get done w/ whatever you just did it will be smoother than glass. The downside is that if you get ANY dirt or debris you just throw it away. And be very very careful if you claybar a darker colored car. Just remember LOTS of lube for the bar and in a pinch you can use foaming glass cleaner if you run out of the lube that it recommends that you use w/ it.

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

acbafam: whats the user name of the cougar owner you know? I'm always surprised how far the NECO forums influence reaches, theres over 9000 members now, and there was only 2000 or so when I signed up. On the boards I was 2Liter, but before that I was Sapien. I decided to go with Sapien again when I traded in the Cat. I'm still a moderator on NECO too, BTW. Prolly going to have to give up my position though, oh well.

Longarm: I haven't actually bought the Detailing Bible, but at one time he shared alot of his insider tips with the community...

Good links, BTW.

-Nate

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/304497/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:23 am 
LOST Member

When your clay bar is no longer usable on your paint, don't rush to throw it away just yet. You can still use it on your rims and or windows, unless it's to gritty.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:24 pm 
LOST Member

Sapien: I have no idea what my member name was? most likely ACB something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:10 pm 
LOST Member

Here is a cheap alternative to clay bar (I know I'm Scottish and likely to get comments about my spending!!)
Borrow some silly putty, playdoh, plastacine (delete as appropriate) mix up about 1" armorall plastic spray with water to make the lube and away you go.
We use this on the BMW register in the UK for detailling prior to showing the cars.

However we then spend all the money on Meguiers NXT, Zymol or if really feeling rich Zaino polish

My 93 750 still outshines year old cars with this method :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I need to lay the clay to my jeep. :( I believe its getting time, its only two years old though, but im very up tight about my paint.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: bringing an old thread back up.....
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I spent a couple hours yesterday claying my blue KJ w/ the Mothers clay & lube and holy crap what a difference! My paint actually feels smooth again and it still needs a coat of wax. I was amazed at how much crap it removed from the paint. I had no idea the paint was even that dirty after washing the heck out of it. Now to spend the next couple afternoons waxing it back up.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Being a new Jeep owner/prev. GM dealer I am not used to the various owner-friendly items on my 05 Renegade. One new thing to me, while washing I was trying to hose the bugs out of the radiators/coolers behind the grille. I then noticed the plastic grille had like 5 or so clips & bingo! the grille comes right off! It makes debugging so much easier! Just thought others may not have noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Many people do not know that wax does not bring out any shine at all. A cleaner wax will, but a pure wax will not. You must clay the paint, clean the paint, polish the paint, THEN wax the paint. 8)

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, wax only seals whatever is underneath, so all it does in practicality is just locking the shininess underneath the wax. So if the vehicle is messy, it will lock messiness unless it is one of those cleaner, polisher, waxer type of products.

I would possibly use clay, wash it real good then rejex it, from what I read on a few forums and their website.
I never used clay on my black KJ because I was worried that I would mess it up, I generally go through car wash, the paint looks good from distance but I am full of little scratches and fine swirls. I always see hondas or "detailed" cars pass me by they got terrible wax residue on them, almost like smudgy surface, I don't want that so I stay away from jobs I cannot finish on my own (like waxing, detailing claying, etc...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

When I bought my Jeep it had been standing outisde for at least a year I believe. I didnt see it at the time, but the hood was contaminated with micro dirt. It felt rough and the color just wasnt there, black. I decided to get a claybar kit and WOW what an investment. The clay bar kit is probably the best detailing tool I ever bought. After I got done the hood looked like brand spanking new, smoother than glass.

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/ ... tedsig.jpg

And thats 10 year old paint ;)

Trust me.. Get a TON of microfiber cloths.. Youll use the hell out of them.. While you are there grab a 20 dollar random orbital buffer, makes the polish step MUCH easier and quicker...

I use the following products:
Meguires Shampoo
Meguires claybar
Step 1 Meguires cleaner wax
Step 2 Meguires Polish
Meguires NXT paste wax

1. Get Meguires shampoo and a nice soft wash mit.. Wash your car, make sure you get as much of the dirt and grime off as you can.

2. - Use claybar on ALL surfaces.. I love this stuff, gets specks of paint, tar, ANYTHING off the paint. LUBE LUBE LUBE

3. Use 1 microfiber cloth to RUB in the cleaner wax and another to wipe it off. Maybe even have 1 just for the final wipe of each spot... Your arm is going to get tired, but after the first spot of using the cleaner wax youll be sold and get excited... Trust me. that stuff kicks booty. Even after the claybar.. it clears up Oxidation better than anything else I have used (I have tried it all)

4. After the whole car is done, you get step 2 polish. The polish is kinda like a lotion for your paint. Rub it in again with a new cloth, wipe with ANOTher cloth, and maybe another for the final wipe. If your cloth touches the ground, trash it and get a new one. Theyre cheap, and if you rub with ANY dirt on it, you will scratch your paint and defeat the purpose. So do the polish, it will look really good and youll be tired but you CANT STOP. The polish looks waxed but it is not. It is not a good sealer and even if you wait to wax for a day or 2 youll HATE the results. Push past the pain and get the wax.

5. You can use the step 3 wax or like others said use another brand. Most high cost carnuba waxes will work well. Meguires gold class is a good one as well.. Use the buffer to apply the wax, Make sure you have enough bonnets to apply and buff. Remember, dont skimp on rags, using an old, worn out rag with lots of chemical on it will not allow for a clean application. Get the wax on there wait for a bit and buff the HELL out of it.. Remember, dont apply wax to a hot car or in the sun. Most people like to wash the car in the sun, the heated metal will not allow the chemicals to wipe as clean. Once you buffed the hell out of the car, go back with a nice clean cloth and cleanup edges, by the wheel, etc.. Do the Wheels, then tires, and lastly, the glass... My car is ten years old, but people ask all the time, is that an 04 or 05?? lol. They dont belive it when I tell them its ten years old.. I do this process about 3 to 5 months, sometimes more.. Clean the car often after you wax, its the best thing you can do.. 6 bucks to drive through a spray only wash will do wonders.

What ever you do, DONT go to a do it yourself type wash. Those brushes are NOT low touch no matter what they say and you will scratch the wax and the surface. Maintain the wax with a nice wash and the Meguires mist detailer. Youll love it, clean car, easy to maintain.. Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I agree, do NOT use the brushes at the self serve car washes. I have drove by those places and seen people brushing their wheel wells, under carriage, engine, etc with those brushes. Do you really want that dirty brush on your nice paint? Do you!?

*Pro Car Detailer*