It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

I've been watching this post for awhile now and I just have to give my 2 cents finally. I detailed cars for about 7 years. When I would wash the engine I left it running and would spray the crap out of it with a ton of degreasers and hit it with a power washer. Now I have only had 1 car not start back up on me and it was a pre-90's car. I've never cracked a block or done any damage doing it like that. Hitting it with a power washer is probally the least possible time to crack something even if the engine is hot You would have more of a chance cracking something going through a cold creek at the end of a long day wheeling, than washing it. I mean think about it if the block is at prime operating temp your talking 210+ degrees on the block. That is hot enough that the water is warmed by the time it hits it. Now going through a creek there is too much water for the hot block to warm so the metal could expand and contract at different rates therefore causing a crack. But that's just my 2 cents.

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Best engine cleaner I have used.. Black Magic engine cleaner... Spray on a hot engine.. let it bubble.. rinse off.. gets every least bit of grime and oil off everything.. then armor all or detail hoses as desired... truest em... cant go wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Like, Parakeet, I have been detailing cars for years and I degrease engines everyday. Most part stores should sell some kind of degreaser, take your pick. I have washed engines cold, hot, on, off, doesnt really matter. I have only had really old crappy cars not start, and thats only been a handful in the last several years. Then I just rinse it thoroughly with a garden hose and sprayer (we dont have a power washer). They come out great. We have a liquid base tire shine dressing that we spray all over the engine, firewall, etc and it makes it look new AND shiny. I think most tire foam or tire shine would have the same result.

Here is a tip though: Before spraying the degreaser, wet down your fenders and grill and wash them with a wash mit and dont rinse them off. As you hose your engine off, hose the fenders off as well. This acts as a "barrier" to the degreaser in case you overspray some. The kind we use at my work is strong and can leave streaks on the fenders if you dont do this. You can always polish them out but why make more work?

Thats my daily basis engine washing experience ;)

*Pro Car Detailer*