It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scratch help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well after putting on the louvers we found one spot where the blade dragged on the hood and made a good sized scratch. I have a light khaki Jeep and was just wondering what you suggest to fix the scratch whether it be spray can or what. If nothing works out it just gives me an excuse to spray the hood black with bed liner 8)

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

Post subject: Re: scratch help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

clean it real good with a low residue non abrasive polish like kit scratch out or nufinish, and use one of the microfoam makeup applicators with X25 micro abrasive polish and try to minimize the scratches roughness

depending on how bad the scratch is it may actually be invisible once you've polished it and put a good coat of Ice liquid polish and some carnuba wax on it

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

If you can feel it with your fingernail, then you can't totally remove it.

I would give Meguiar's ScratchX a go. It should work well to lighten it up if not remove it completely.

If it went all the way down to the primer or metal, then touch-up, wetsand and machine polish is the only way to make it mostly invisible again.

Do you have a picture of it?

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited - Bright Silver Metallic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ooooh you can definitely feel it with your finger nail. Have you ever used any touch up? I just want to be sure the colors actually match. My dads truck got a good scratch before he bought it and the dealer didn't do a great job fixing it so its totally different colors haha :banghead:

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I professionally detail vehicles as a side job, so I've done a few scratch repairs.lol

It depends on where and when you got the touch up. If you get the correct color from the dealer or paintscratch.com, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The dealer that did your father's car probably grabbed the closest color they had in the area. Most likely why it doesn't match.

I use a #1 painters brush or a tooth pick to apply the touch up paint.

One other tip, if the dealer sells the paint pen and not a bottle of paint, don't get it. The paint pens suck. If that is all they have, order a small bottle from paintscratch.com.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited - Bright Silver Metallic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 pm 
LOST Addict

67Customs wrote:
Well, I professionally detail vehicles as a side job, so I've done a few scratch repairs.lol

It depends on where and when you got the touch up. If you get the correct color from the dealer or paintscratch.com, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The dealer that did your father's car probably grabbed the closest color they had in the area. Most likely why it doesn't match.

I use a #1 painters brush or a tooth pick to apply the touch up paint.

One other tip, if the dealer sells the paint pen and not a bottle of paint, don't get it. The paint pens suck. If that is all they have, order a small bottle from paintscratch.com.

x2. Also if they give you waterborne paint to touch up with you have to put clear over it (clear finger nail polish works)...

like he said. if you can feel it with your finger nail the only 'real' way to get rid of it would be to feather it out with DA reducing the grit of paper as you go.. then put some self etch primer on the bare metal, then normal primer over the self etch and everything feathered, then sand the primer with a block/stick on 400 grit, then sand the rest of the hood 600-800 paper.. seal it, paint over the sealer, blend the hood, then put clear over the entire thing. Then wet sand and buff to a factory finish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:03 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks guys!