It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning oxidized wheels and body
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:00 pm 
LOST Member

Hi folks. So not sure if anyone here has experienced this but over the past couple seasons my front wheels have gotten a good amount of oxidization on them - they're the 16" machined aluminum stockers. I initially thought it was because the wheels may have been snow covered to long the previous winter as the Jeep was parked for an extended period but I'v seen a few other KJ's with the exact same issue. Coincidence, I don't know? Maybe just mutual neglect of our Jeeps (shame on me then lol) Last fall I picked up some wheel cleaner/polish, Blue Magic metal polish but I didn't find it very effective to remove the oxidization. Now I was using only shams and not a clean tip and drill set-up. I'm looking for the most effective main stream product (or at home remedy for that matter) to use on the wheels that's also not an overly tedious process - if I can avoid using a polishing tip but I may have to. I know give me my cake and I want to eat it too :P Additionally, the oxidization has begun to get onto the body of the KJ, on the lower portion of the passenger door - again any products or processes anyone can recommend to clean this up?

Thanks as always for the help!

L.O.S.T. Member# 173501

Post subject: Re: Cleaning oxidized wheels and body
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

Hopefully this wasn't a stupid question? I figured someone would have chimed in??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

L.O.S.T. Member# 173501

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:40 am 
LOST Member

I'll post pictures of my 06 KJ's heavily oxidized aluminum wheels in a day or so. I went to a local powdercoating business and they said they have wrinkle powder if they can't spray off/smooth out enough to apply a final paint. I'll end up with silver cragars in a few months since 17 inch wheel choices aren't all that prevalent in 235/85 or 265/75. Leta see photos of your wheels!

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

These shots are after a handful of cleaning attempts. Although you can see in the one pic, they are still not near perfect vs the rears.

L.O.S.T. Member# 173501

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Any pics of the body oxidation? For that try Meguire's Ultimate Compound. For the wheels, try Iron X.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:34 am 
LOST Member

Thanks, I will check those out. The body had just some light oxidation at the bottom of both front doors. Looks like "mist" of rust off the wheels. It doesn't show up well in pics it's so faint. It appears to be just at the clear coat/paint level. I want to nip it before it becomes a real problem. Thanks again for the recommendations.

L.O.S.T. Member# 173501

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

For your oxidized wheels try using Mother power ball polishing system. Works well with my XD wheels. And your paint issue Megs Ultimate compound would surely do the job done.