It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep Compass - helping to grow the Jeep brand
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

An article out of the Detroit Newspaper yesterday.

detnews wrote:
But the Compass -- a newbie in the brand lineup known for its rock-crawling capabilities -- is defying expectations. The car-based model snubbed by hard-core Jeep fans for being too soft is drawing consumers from other brands at a faster pace than the Jeep brand overall, one of the best known marquees in the world.

During the first three months of the year, more than 84 percent of Compass buyers traded in a vehicle from another brand, compared to 69.9 percent of those who bought non-Compass Jeeps, according to data from J.D. Power and Associates' Power Information Network. The Compass is pulling in Honda owners at nearly twice the rate of the Jeep brand. And it's attracting a younger, more feminine crowd that might otherwise give Jeep a pass.

"This is the first crossover that Jeep has offered," said Tom Libby, senior director of the Power Information Network. "This is what they hoped for and this is what they got -- they got new customers."

You can read the whole bit here if you are interested. All in all though - some really good news about the new "little Jeep"

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

Although I'd never drive one, I think it was a great addition to the Jeep line. With the gas hype that there is today, the market for a traditional Jeep is diminishing. Even if you hate the compass all together, it's helping keep your KJs and Wranglers on the roads by increasing Mopar profits, reviving Jeeps from extinction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

Aside from the way it looks (I don't like it at all) it really is a decent vehicle. It's obviously not intended for off-roading, but it does have it's place.
My wife's 07 LTD is just what she wanted. Much better gas mileage than her Grand Cherokee, and the CVT tranny is kinda cool, especially with the autostick feature.

DC is really "cheapening up" the interiors of many of the new vehicles....and the Compass is no exception. Hard plastic and fake looking metal, meh :shock: .

Paul

Post subject: Jeep's new direction.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:32 am 
LOST Member

While looking for a new vehicle recently I briefly looked at the Patriot and the Compass. I really liked the Patriot and I think it will be a popular model among the die hard Cherokee fans. It seemd like a capable and confident vehicle. :) The Compass was something different all together. I really didn't care for its style and didn't like the idea of a stricktly on road Jeep. :? I finally decided on my '07 Liberty Sport and couldn't be happier! It is everything I thought it would be and can't wait to take it on more adventures. :twisted:

-Up Next: Lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I really, really, REALLY didn't care for the compass when it came out at first and I thought Jeep was selling out with a vengeance. BUT, my wife is looking to get a new vehicle and we went and looked at a compass and a patriot and my wife likes the compass. I sat in the compass, checked out its features and interior and I really thought it was kind of cool. It has a really grown on me and I kinda hope we get one. I know it isn't a real Jeep as some people think, but it has the Jeep badge and is more capable than any all wheel drive car. We get a fair amount of snow in the winter here and it is a nice compromise between luxury (limited) and functionality (4X4). The boost in MPG doesn't hurt either. The compass rallye is really cool... for a wife's car. :wink: :wink:

Post subject: Re: Jeep's new direction.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:53 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Jeepman56 wrote:
While looking for a new vehicle recently I briefly looked at the Patriot and the Compass. I really liked the Patriot and I think it will be a popular model among the die hard Cherokee fans. It seemd like a capable and confident vehicle. :) The Compass was something different all together. I really didn't care for its style and didn't like the idea of a stricktly on road Jeep. :? I finally decided on my '07 Liberty Sport and couldn't be happier! It is everything I thought it would be and can't wait to take it on more adventures. :twisted:

The Compasss & the Patriot are the same car......except cosmetically

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

When I clicked on the link I got...."this article is no longer available on line"...

My opinion is that I hope they sell as many as they can make and more. While they are not the jeep for me, they seem to be a good road car that will get you home in a snow storm and gets decent gas mileage. Jeep needs that to stay in business. Not really an off road monster, and not meant to be. Most people are looking for a DD that gets good gas mileage. So with the gas prices going the way they are, one would make sence and compliment whichever other jeep model you have. There is no reason for some to hate them.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 pm 

If it wasn't for the looks I would consider one over something similar, say a Forrester. Though honestly, a Patriot being the same platform, better looking, and with even the small aftermarket support more capable, I still would get it over the Compass.

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:29 am 
LOST Member

ups4 wrote:
Aside from the way it looks (I don't like it at all) it really is a decent vehicle.

Since I first saw the Compass and the Caliber, I always thought the Compass was butt-ugly, and the Caliber, with a Jeep-style grill would have made a much better looking "Jeep".

Someone on one of the KJ forums once called the Compass a "road-going toad"... that stuck in my head, I think it fits perfectly.

Now the Patriot, while essentially the same thing as someone said, at least looks like a Jeep!

Nothing against them or those who drive them, for what they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:36 am 
This member has been Banned

well we are going to be in the market for a new car soon ,note I said car and not SUV, and the Patriot is at the top of the list
we also like the VW rabbit it has a certain cool factor about it and we like both for 1 reason MPG
right now my wife spends about $150-$200 a month on gas with either of these we could cut that in half
which is about half of what the note would be ,half the note would be paid for in fuel savings

I am pushing a little harder for the Pat because it is a Jeep and that would put 3 Jeeps in our driveway
funny thing is if you asked me this 2 years ago I would have been Commander with a V8 all the way to tow the TJ
but hell to spend that kind of cash on fuel every day to tow a trail rig 6 times a year out of state ,I would not tow it for local rides, is stupid when gas will hit $4.00 a gallon real soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

i love the compass, i think it could very well be a great car if it werent for the cheap interior and the terrible CVT it and its platform mates, to include the mitsubishi lancer and outlander, uses...
the CVT they use is supplied by JATCO, a company owned by nissan/renault and its horrible in cars other than nissans :lol:

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin