It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CVT "internal transmission failure"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

So the wife's compass took a dive with 55,000 miles on it.
A couple of weeks ago she was driving home and the transmission temp light came, by time she got home it was off.
So I thought maybe it was the transmission fluid, and go out to check the level. No-go as there are no "user serviceable parts" on the CVT, and that includes no dip stick.

So this past Thursday she is driving home and the trans temp light comes on again, but this time the transmission shuts down on her, right in the middle of traffic on I-15. Went for 70 MPH to 20 MPH in seconds. SO she pulls off to the side of the road and calls me. I tell her let it cool down for a while and start it back up, and if the light stays off try to make it home. So she gets home, and we make on appointment with the dealer to get it in the next day.
We take it in and leave it with them and I asked if he would call or email me if it just need servicing, because I usually do all of that on our vehicles.
He send me this email the next morning;
Quote:
Hello Alvin, no need to worry about transmission servicing. The vehicle appears to have an internal transmission failure.

Now today, Monday, we call to find out what they need to do and how long it will take. Service rep says they have to replace the transmission, and it's going to take four or five days to get a new one from JATCO, and apparently they (JATCO) wants the bad one back.

So now I go online and find on Caliber, Patriot, and other Compass forums that this is becoming a very apparent problem. These CVT transmissions are somehow over heating and failing, with less that 60,000 miles.

Anyone here having problems with theirs?

Post subject: Re: CVT "internal transmission failure"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I will tell you this much... my wife's 2008 Altima came with a CVT transmission. I was very paranoid about that (they don't work hardly worth a dam* on ATVs, why would they work in cars/SUVs??) Well.. a year later we get a letter in the mail saying that due to the high cost of replacement, and customer complaints, Nissan has voluntarily upgraded the CVT warranty to 120,000 miles.

So there you go... CVT is junk just as I imagined it would be in such a large vehicle. At least Nissan is standing behind it and helping people. I would like to see Jeep do the same for it's customers.

This is the very reason why if I get a Patriot it'll be the manual tranny model. Good luck.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

cowboytwang wrote:
So the wife's compass took a dive with 55,000 miles on it.
A couple of weeks ago she was driving home and the transmission temp light came, by time she got home it was off.
So I thought maybe it was the transmission fluid, and go out to check the level. No-go as there are no "user serviceable parts" on the CVT, and that includes no dip stick.

So this past Thursday she is driving home and the trans temp light comes on again, but this time the transmission shuts down on her, right in the middle of traffic on I-15. Went for 70 MPH to 20 MPH in seconds. SO she pulls off to the side of the road and calls me. I tell her let it cool down for a while and start it back up, and if the light stays off try to make it home. So she gets home, and we make on appointment with the dealer to get it in the next day.
We take it in and leave it with them and I asked if he would call or email me if it just need servicing, because I usually do all of that on our vehicles.
He send me this email the next morning;
Quote:
Hello Alvin, no need to worry about transmission servicing. The vehicle appears to have an internal transmission failure.

Now today, Monday, we call to find out what they need to do and how long it will take. Service rep says they have to replace the transmission, and it's going to take four or five days to get a new one from JATCO, and apparently they (JATCO) wants the bad one back.

So now I go online and find on Caliber, Patriot, and other Compass forums that this is becoming a very apparent problem. These CVT transmissions are somehow over heating and failing, with less that 60,000 miles.

Anyone here having problems with theirs?

my cousin has a 2010 altima sR and his CVT went out at 18,400 something

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

HI,

NEW TO THIS FORUM, LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON 2007 COMPASS CVT TRANS. REPLACEMENT, I HAD A DTC CODE P0741, AFTER THE DEALER DIAGNOSED THE PROBLEM AND INFORMED ME I NEEDED A TRANSMISSION, I BEGAN TO INVESTIGATE AND SAW SOME INFORMATION ABOUT JATCO AND CHRYSLER WORKING OUT A WARRANTY ISSUE. CANNOT FIND ANYTHING CONCRETE IN WRITING.

THANKS TO GEICO I HAVE MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN INS AND THEY ARE FOOTING THE BILL LESS $250 DEDUCTIBLE. ANY HELP WITH FINDING THE ARTICLE OR OTHER INFO REGARDING THIS WARRANTY ISSUE WILL BE APPRECIATED

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

My transmission went at 60,000 miles and they are sticking to their guns that they are NOT helping me with the bill on this. My warranty is up and "too bad for me!" I will NEVER buy another Jeep again. EVER! If anyone has ANY information on how I can prove that this is their fault and/or a manufacturer defect, PLEASE respond. I need any sort of information that can help me prove my point.

Thanks!