It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2011 Compass Lattitude 4x4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone bought one of these? I'm thinking of getting one this summer, have a 2002 Liberty Limited now. I'm worried that the 2.4L engine and CVT tranny are going to be a disappointment. I really just need the 4WD to get up my driveway. That said, I NEED the 4WD to get up the driveway, LOL, not some half-baked AWD system. I know the Jeep website says you can get the Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, can someone tell me if this is TRUE 4WD?? The sales person I talked to at the dealership was an idiot and not helpful at all.
Also, how does this engine perform? I HATE when 4 cyl engines bog down because you turned on the A/C in the summer.

Anyone who has bought one and can fill me in on how it really performs, please do :-)

Thanks!

2002 Patriot Blue Metallic Liberty Limited Stock
L.O.S.T #021971

Post subject: Re: 2011 Compass Lattitude 4x4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm thinking about buying the Compass. I drove a few Compasses with the CVT (not the 2011) and have found it to be a crappy pick for a transmission. I have heard from a few reviews that the 5 speed transmission is much better in both gas and power. Thus that is what I'm going to be getting IF I pick up the Compass. However with the 5 speed, you lose the Freedom drive II which for me isn't a big deal since my Liberty will still be with me. :JEEPIN:

Future mods: 2 inch lift; Tint windows; Tail light tint; Duel exhaust; Sound system; Color matched wheels; Smoked headlights; Roof rights; Grille lights

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Seems kind of stupid not to allow the manual transmission with the Freedom Drive II.... all the auto manufacturers have ALMOST just what you want, but not quite. I'd love to see the Compass with a V6 :D

I'm either giving my Liberty to my daughter or trading it in, no point in having two cars. Otherwise my second car would be something zippy and sporty, LOL

2002 Patriot Blue Metallic Liberty Limited Stock
L.O.S.T #021971

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:13 am 
LOST Newbie

The way I see it, I have a Liberty and a Camaro. But I want a "car" that get better gas mileage than my Jeep and can take a bump better than my Camaro and since I like the Jeep brand so much, I want to stay with Jeep. That is what brings me to the Compass. I don't really see it has a SUV but more like a AWD station wagon. Depending on what I see at the auto show, I might move forward with my plans on picking one up.

Future mods: 2 inch lift; Tint windows; Tail light tint; Duel exhaust; Sound system; Color matched wheels; Smoked headlights; Roof rights; Grille lights

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:56 am 
LOST Addict

StephSH wrote:
Seems kind of stupid not to allow the manual transmission with the Freedom Drive II....

It's not stupid really.

You have to understand how Freedom Drive II works. It is impossible to offer Freedom Drive II on a manual transmission. Here's why:

As front wheel drive primary vehicles, there is no real transfer case in the Compass/Patriot. If equipped with a 4x4 and a Trail Rated badge, what is really under the Compass/Patriot's skin is an AWD system. The transmission in the C/P is a Constantly Variable Transmission. This type has nearly infinte gear ratios.... therefore FDII "mimics" a low range. It basically gears down to 19:1. It also includes Hill Decent Control and Brake Traction Control. This can't be done with the manual transmission.

Without the CVT, FDII cannot exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:29 am 
LOST Addict

Chrysler has a new 9 speed trans that they are going to put in the minivans. Makes me wonder if somehow it would be possible to add ultra low gears to a FWD trans somehow.

I know that there are 4.75:1 gears available for the manual trans in the Ford Focus. Why not figure out how to go lower with the Jeep?

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)