It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep Patriot 2008 - Clicking/Rattle Type Noise
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on Lost Jeeps, I've had a lot of issues with my Jeep Patriot and if it wasn't for all of the helpful posts in this forum, I would not have had much success with my previous issues and repairs. You guys have certainly saved me a lot of time and money with your knowledge and for that i'm thankful!

Today marks a day where I am beginning to hear and feel and strange clicking/rattle type noise coming from under the hood of my 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4l FWD. The symptom is only present when the vehicle is in Drive and at a idle with my foot on the brakes either at stop signs and red lights. However the sound/rattle goes away once I let off the brakes and proceed to accelerate. If the transmission is shifted to Park the noise is gone, it is also not apparent in reverse or neutral. I am thinking this may be coming from the drivetrain possibly but am having trouble pinpointing where. I was told it may be the idle air controller, a dirty throttle body or a sticking valve.

I had a leaking transmission oil pan last year, had my friend who is a master technician drop the old pan and replace it and afterward top up transmission fluid however we we unable to verify dipstick level because the stupid CVT has none in the vehicle and it is something a dealer has to check. I contacted a Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep dealer to confirm the fluid fill capacity and had no problems for over a year after the repair. I am worried that this issue is possibly related to my transmission fluid being low. I am very familiar with the CVT transmission as I work at Nissan and see clicking noises from them constantly however nissan warranties the transmission up to 10year/200,000km instead of chryslers 4 year/100,000km warranty even though they use the same Jatco transmission.

I cannot begin to describe my frustration because I have always babied this Patriot and used full synthetic motor oils, with 4,000-5,000km intervals with only OEM and premium aftermarket oil filters. My vehicle is a 2008 with only 70,000km on it.

Thanks in advanced for your time!