It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Clyde" 2016 Compass Sport
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I learned to drive in a 1976 CJ5 on the farm, and graduated to full sized trucks like the 1989 F250 4X4 (302, M5OD), and 1978 F250 4X4 (300 Straight-6, NP435). I still have both trucks, but have been wanting something better in gas usage, as well as something carrying the Jeep name. I saw the Compass and it's shape intrigued me. It had the front end that Cherokee should have had, in my humble opinion. I test drove and decided to purchase the Sport version.

2.4L, 4X4 6-speed auto-stick, with alloy rims. The incentives were great from the dealer, which made purchasing it easier. It's not as masculine as my vehicles normally are, but it will be soon. I bought it on Saturday.

Current mods:

4 bay USB hup added to glovebox.
Weathertech floor liner, cargo liner and in-channel vent visors on order
Removed dealer label from rear
Roof crossbars on order
Black-out badges on order...all around
Twin USB hub mounted on rear of console for rear passenger use...will happen this weekend
Scoche Magic Mount for dash mounted cell phone

Future mods: (Spring time jobs)

2" lift
Winch with synthetic rope cable
Recover points
Tires
Junkyard sourced rims for winter tires
Winter tires (Western PA Winters can be a real PITA)
Curt roof basket with spare tire mount
Swap out the 230S/RES and stock 6X9's for something better
Add small sub woofer to spare tire well
Roof basket and bumper mounted lighting...not LED
Wireless backup camera with Android phone as monitor

Imageimage hosting over 5mb

Imageimage share

Imageimage share

Post subject: Re: "Clyde" 2016 Compass Sport
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Congrats on the new Compass! I think it's pretty amazing that the Compass and Patriot have been on the market for nearly 10 years in basically the same form. Those little Jeeps have some staying power and the company must have been doing something right when it designed them.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

The more I drive it, the more I really like the thing. My son goes to Young Life once a week, and you have to drive up a hill on a gravel and dirt road to get to the building where it's held. My Tahoe was never as nimble and agile as this Compass. My wife said it feels like it's walking up and down the hill, instead of just rolling.

I can hardly wait for the snow to start falling. I know how the F250s we own do in it, which is just short of perfect, and the Tahoe handled it well, too. I'm hoping the Compass has the same ability.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I would be interested in how it does. My brother owns a 2wd Patriot (basically the same vehicle platform with a different boxy body on top), and he says it is great in the snow even without 4wd. My Liberty is rear wheel drive until I put it in 4 LOCK, like your F250's are. Your new Compass I think is front wheel drive until you put it in 4wd. It would be interesting to know the difference in how it handles and feels in the snow and off road. Which 4wd package did you get?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:40 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
I would be interested in how it does. My brother owns a 2wd Patriot (basically the same vehicle platform with a different boxy body on top), and he says it is great in the snow even without 4wd. My Liberty is rear wheel drive until I put it in 4 LOCK, like your F250's are. Your new Compass I think is front wheel drive until you put it in 4wd. It would be interesting to know the difference in how it handles and feels in the snow and off road. Which 4wd package did you get?

FDI with the 6-speed auto-stick. FDII comes with CVT, a transmission I didn't want because of all the problems I read about. You're correct about full time FWD with 4X4 engaging the rear end. I know that it seems to work well on a loose gravel and dirt road, and I have high hopes for it in the snow. FDII would have been my choice, but not a fan of the issues I've read about with the transmission and Jeep's replace only policy.

This is a much better ride than the last car-like four wheeler I had...a beater 1979 Subaru 1600 DL 4WD. While the vehicle was fun to drive, it was underpowered and could get stuck in 3" of snow, even with snow tires. After the rust ate it, it was relegated to weekend fun flying through harvested corn fields in the late 80's.

While this is not a true off-road beast, it can easily be a great pavement pounder and dirt road runner. I have faith that it will get me anywhere I need or want to get to.