It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compare LR3 and Commander
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jeep Commander versus Land Rover LR3

Our long-term Land Rover LR3 is turning over 15,000 miles -- and I just got my first drive in it. A combination of driver rotations and test car logistics has kept me out of the SUV since we bought it seven months ago, but in the last 48 hours I've put 200 miles on the odometer. And, after some quality time in our new long-term Jeep Commander over the past few weeks, I have a sense of how these boxy competitors line up. Despite the Jeep's remarkably car-like driving dynamics (for a large, solid-axle box), the Land Rover has the overall advantage in term of on-road behavior. The steering is even lighter and sharper on the LR3, and the ride quality is higher (not surprising consider its IRS advantage). However, while the Jeep's stiffer suspension doesn't filter out road imperfections as well, it also keeps the Jeep more upright around corners. If the "tippiness" of SUVs is one of your major issues, you'll probably like the Commander more than the LR3.

An undeniable advantage the Jeep has over the Land Rover can be summed up in one word: ergonomics. Like all Land Rovers, the LR3 is an absolute train wreck when it comes to interior controls. The window and mirror switches are too far away, and only the driver's window is one-touch up and down (this car starts at $45,000!). No other windows offer any one-touch functionality (up or down) and the audio system doesn't have a tuning knob -- just buttons. The power points are hidden at the bottom of the center stack -- and they are severely recessed so just finding them, let along using them, can be a challenge. The Jeep's interior makes much more sense in terms of control layout, and it still feels very upscale.

Last but not least, we've had our fair share of problems with the Land Rover. The Commander is only at 3,000 miles, so it's mechanical reliability is still unknown. But given the price and ergonomics advantage held by the Jeep, I'd have to give final salute the Commander in this impromptu comparo.

(taken from edmonds.com)

HUmmer H3

Jeep Commander

High ground clearance gives you superb performance over a wide range of driving surfaces, like rock crawling or when you accidentally drive over an obstacle, while reducing the potential for underbody damage. Available skid plates made of 3-mm steel help protect the underbody.

Approach Angle/Departure Angle: 34° / 27°
Breakover Angle: 20°
Ground Clearance: 216 millimetres (8.5 inches)

LR3

Ground Clearance
LR3´s Electronic Air Suspension (EAS) makes clearing obstacles a fine art.
· Engage Off-road Mode and the LR3 has a 37.2-degree approach, 29.6-degree departure and 27.9-degree break over angles.
· Offers up to 9.5 inches of ground clearance with off-road mode engaged.

Liberty
The Liberty has a 104.3 inch wheelbase and boasts a very impressive 38 degree approach angle and 32.3 degree departure angle. Weighing in at a wee bit over 4,000 pounds, the 3.7L Liberty is said to have a 5,000 pound towing capacity

Way to go Liberty!!!!! Ok Ok Your the Man or Woman

Updated for Mr Darby and Tokyojoe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freedom of speech is the concept of being able to speak freely without censorship. It is often regarded as an integral concept in modern liberal democracies. The right to freedom of speech is guaranteed under international law through numerous human rights instruments, notably under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, although implementation remains lacking in many countries. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes preferred, since the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country, although the degree of freedom varies greatly. Industrialized countries also have varying approaches to balance freedom with order. For instance, the United States First Amendment theoretically grants absolute freedom, placing the burden upon the state to demonstrate when (if) a limitation of this freedom is necessary. In almost all liberal democracies, it is generally recognized that restrictions should be the exception and free expression the rule; nevertheless, compliance with this principle is often lacking

If you dont like what I write dont read it. Your free to comment. " Ban Him" You guys "Lost" your minds.

Last edited by recon on Sat May 19, 2007 1:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:36 pm 
I live here
I live here

It is a shame you can't just give the Liberty praise without next following up with a poor attempt at a slam.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"Way to go Liberty!!!!! Ok Ok Your the Man/er Woman" :roll:

ProComp 16x8 4.5BS 7089's in Black
RE Superflex arms, Franken Lift w/OME struts
Skids
265/75R16 Trxus
My other Jeep projects http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/BonesBrosChris/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Also the Liberty gets better fuel mileage and can get in those tighter spots. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would ban recon but he is so harmless it is comical. He is probably in a round room looking for the corner :lol:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Last edited by DarbyWalters on Sat May 19, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:30 pm 
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin

DarbyWalters wrote:
I would ban recon but he is so harless it is comical. He is probably in a round room looking for the corner :lol:

:lol:

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Post subject: PC is good for you
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:17 am 
LOST Newbie

It was not a slam. I just no how sensitive you guys/er girls are. I have to include everybody of someone /er it might get offended. Like in this case Mr.Darby " Ban Him"...get over your self and find free speach. It was not a slam and I included the lib in this thread to show how good it is vs others. your the guy that is allways feeling picked on . Your still mad about something in the past arent you. Now Now get your self a new KK and get over it or a FJ they have stickers and a cool web site too. Dont get mad because I included both men and woman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 5:31 am 
LOST Addict

Well since you edited your first post to say man or woman, instead of man...er woman it is not even a poor attempt at a slam.

And this is a privately owned forum, if they want to kick you off they can.

But I like having you around, you dont bother me much, and are one of the only sources of decent commander pic's.

And just so you know, I am not your sweet little girl, keep your fantasies to yourself.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Recon you emailed me the same stuff and since you want to do this in public here was my email response to you:

Freedom without any constraints or rules is ANARCHY. This forum is not here for people to abuse or take advantage of. I don't know why exactly you sent this email out, but this forum is not public property nor based on a democracy. It is here solely to "help" members out with questions and join people together with common interests. Anything other than that is not welcomed, condoned or tolerated.

Wally

You have been given "plenty of rope" and have never been "banned". Don't act like a you have been silenced or treated unfairly. Instead act like an adult and you will be treated as such.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:32 pm 
TRAILIN
TRAILIN

Freedom of speech is a priviledge. I just love how media types abuse this. People forget what this country had to go through so we can have this 'freedom'. You do have the freedom to say whatever you want to but you should also be responsible enough (and mature enough) to know how/what to say. I think we would all be better off in understanding our 'freedoms' if we really knew how good we have it.

MOPAR tow hooks
RL Skink Step Sliders
Magnaflow
3/4 armored
235/70/16 Grabber AT 2
and a lot of little stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:51 pm 
I live here
I live here

Recon,

Not sure why you even come to LOST if you want to bash the KJ.

I do not want anymore PM's from you preaching to me about free speech.

Copy and Paste:

Freedom of speech is the concept of being able to speak freely without censorship. It is often regarded as an integral concept in modern liberal democracies. The right to freedom of speech is guaranteed under international law through numerous human rights instruments, notably under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, although implementation remains lacking in many countries. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes preferred, since the right is not confined to verbal speech but is understood to protect any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used.

In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country, although the degree of freedom varies greatly. Industrialized countries also have varying approaches to balance freedom with order. For instance, the United States First Amendment theoretically grants absolute freedom, placing the burden upon the state to demonstrate when (if) a limitation of this freedom is necessary. In almost all liberal democracies, it is generally recognized that restrictions should be the exception and free expression the rule; nevertheless, compliance with this principle is often lacking....Tokyojoe?

Recon
--------------

If you are so concerned with your freedom of speech, I would like to see you exercise it in the military, if you really serve.

If you ARE trying to be humorous or give funny sarcasm, toss in a smiley. Perhaps that error in communication caused this issue, way back when.

KJ owners created this site to get away from jerks that kept slamming the KJ at other Jeep sites and this site doesn't need those people coming here and start doing it on this site.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

:-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:47 am 
LOST Newbie

@ recon:

The Commander is an awesome SUV. It is out of my budget though. Frankly, it seems too luxurious to take off road. I would be afraid of getting its interior muddy when I would have to dig it out.

I would say if you want a real challenge, try taking a BMW R1150GS Adventure on that same mudhole you took your Commander through.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/pinecone59