It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When Western Australia meets Eastern Australia (Queensland)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:14 am 
LOST Member

Here are a few pics of the JK Sunday drive with Fouros & Family and Team CPC.

The JK I hired was a 3.8L petrol Unlimited (4 Door) I found it great to drive but a little spongey on the response of the throttle at speed, so if you are going up a slight hill it takes a while for it to kick down while you are putting the foot down. Also the on/off switch to turn off the overdrive is not located on the auto shifter as in the KJ, its on the centre console in front of the auto shifter above the park position. I thought it was a poor choice of location because if you want to drop it out of O/D because of the slow kickdown response you have to reach forward to just below the A/C controls, bit of a pain. On the autoshifter it feels like there is a spot there next to your thumb for the button, but its blank. Shifting it in and out of 4WD you get a 4X4 light on the dash unlike the KJ where you get 4Hi 4Lo partime & fulltime. The JK only has partime.Hi & Lo only one light.

It came standard with 31's 245/75/16 but they were HT's I would have thought AT's would have been the go, full bash plates all the way along with not too many hangup points underneath, but what a huge front bumper!!! The rear one needs modding to fit a tow hitch. Rocklizard??

Heaps of room in the back seats & in the rear, larger than the KJ. Has dual airbags but no side curtain, suppose you cant really with a softop. The rear seat goes all the way to the doors, the KJ has a bit of it taken up by the rear wheel arch. Road noise is quite good, with the softop on windows up it sounded like driving a 'normal' car with a window down about 10mm, I kept trying the windows to make sure they were up. The guy at the rental place recons Jeep have a noise cancelling device in the new JK to make it less noisey.

The power windows switches are up below the radio & has two little round lights in them when the parkers are on which are a bit hard to see at night. The KJ has longer slotted lights which are much easier to see at night.

The radio is a cracker, love to have one of them, internal 6 stacker & great display, has connection for wireless mobile phone. U-connect.

It has a built in EVIC in the dash where the speedo tacho sits, I reset the L/Km when I picked it up, 3 days of city driving & 3 hours of crawling returned average 25L/100Km. mmm not so good.

One thing I did notice once again compared to my CRD, is that there is very little "auto creep" (In drive on the shift, foot off brake car just sits there) Just drove my KJ & the car moves off freely in gear & holds on hills. So it was a little disconcerning in a carpark environment shifting between R & D as you had to put your foot on the gas to make it move rather than just taking your foot off the brake, kept looking at the instrument cluster to see if it was in gear or not. Was a little tricky getting up the rocky shaley hills as it didnt hold on hills had to work the brake & accellerator at the same time to prevent rollback.

Was great criusing down the Gold Coast with the soft top down & the tunes turned up, really topped off a great holiday. Thanks again to Fros & Team CPC for making sure the rental got through without a scratch. have a great trip at Camp Coffs & take losts of pics for me.

Last edited by palla on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:23 am 
LOST Addict

Great pics palla, I'm here too..................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:55 am 
LOST Member

Great pics, how'd you get your hands on a JK for hire, when most people can't even buy one yet?

2005 KJ CRD Cherokee (Liberty) Extreme Sport, ARB bar and IPF lights, Rocky Road Combo lift (Daystar 1.5inch spacer with RR strut top plate and factory springs) with OME struts (front), OME 947 with Rancho RSX17004 shocks (rear), all Mopar skid plates, Tow Hitch, BFG 245/70/16 AT's Pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Cool pics. Its awesome to have a KJ site to talk on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:04 am 
LOST Member

Wilmo wrote:
Great pics, how'd you get your hands on a JK for hire, when most people can't even buy one yet?

Well lets just say I had a little help :D Local knowledge goes a long long way :wink:

If it wasnt for the locals they wouldnt have let me take it on the trails.

Oh & by the way it was brand spanking new, hadnt even had its 1000Km service yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

I spy with my little eye. something that begins with "S"........A Snorkel :shock:

Looking Good CPC :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:12 am 
LOST Member

oooops I let the cat out of the bag, that was fitted while I was over there, sorry CPC if I stole your thunder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:28 am 
LOST Addict

The snorkel really looks good with the rest of the renegade hardware. Has anyone really tested one out on a water crossing yet?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

darn you aussies and your snorkel...eventually I'll get one over here stateside

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

The snorkel is a new adition and I love it. Can already feel the difference in the driving. I will see what fuel economy is like going down to Camp Coffs. I think a snorkel will look good on yours cmohr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:34 am 
clean machine
clean machine

I like that metal-plate spare wheel cover on the "Off Road World" Jeep. Did you pad it against the rim, or just snug it down tight? How did you fasten it? Great pics, thanks for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:32 pm 
Got Groceries?

could you post some pics of how you attached that diamond plate skid in the front? I'd like to add something like that to mine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3219059

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

The metal rear cover in cut out slightly larger than the wheel so it sit on slug to the tyre itself. It fastens on from behind the number plate. I utilise the existing fastening system to the standard wheel cover that came with the KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oz, any details on this setup? Perticularly how it's held in place?

[]--------[] ---2.5" BDS lift, 245/75/16 MT/Rs, Moab Rims, Locked and Regeared!
[]_____[] ---The list got to long, go to my web site for more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:50 am 
LOST Junkie

Gris wrote:

Oz, any details on this setup? Perticularly how it's held in place?

Sorry mate, thats not my KJ, thats CPC's rig. She wheels it hard ;) !