It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crikey!!! Everyones here
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:45 pm 
LOST Member

Have an enjoyable tip to Jambo those lucky enough to be going.
I been head down, bum up on the FC project, got the chassis back from the sand blaster yesterday, got the front ripped off the FSJ ready to pull the motor and tranny out, just now scratching me head thinking which way to go with the front axle, was thinking of using the front 44 from the FSJ but the spring hangers are much narrower and if i widen the perches on the axle to fit the original hangers it will only be able to be driven in a straight line with bugger all turning. If I use the original 44 with closed knuckle and drum brakes I will have to look for another transfer case as the pumpkin is on the wrong side for the quady out of the FSJ ( unless someone has a atlas they want to donate) or I could narrow the hangers on the chases and bring them in so the middle of the hanger is in line with the outside of the rail instead of the outboard originals, I think this is the better option without going to big expense.
Gave the trusty KJ a service the other day, changed all fluids, must get a set of idler pulleys for it soon while the $AU is at where it is.
Jason, I will be in Mackay when you are in Rocky, got some maintenance to do on the houses and Imelda has appointments.
Regards Ross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
Hi folks! Nothing new to say, just wanted you all to know that I hadn't abandoned you.

Roscoe, I hope you're keeping a good photographic record of the work you're doing on the FC, 'cos we'll all want to see that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:43 am 
LOST Addict

2JeepFamily wrote:
I am having a week of in October, the week of the 4th, also I will be in Rocky on Friday the 8th and could be easily swayed into a Byfield trip
if you are keen Ross. The 3rd & 4th of October would be a good weekend for a Woodgate trip Greg if you aren't busy then, but hey any weekend
is good for me for a trip around here.

Still Interested Jason :?: :?: Thinking we might come up this Friday (1st Oct) to Hervey Bay to do some business and as I am nearby I could drop into Woodgate or anywhere in the area that you may recommend. We are keen to try out the camper again.
Anyone esle interested :?: More the merrier I say :!: G'me Mud :?: Cmohr :?: Nobster :?: Pipes :?: and/or others interested :?: :CAMPING: :JEEPIN: :SOMBRERO: :BANANA: don't want to be :ALONE:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 am 
LOST Addict

Not sure aboot this weekend. Lookout for all those new fees up there to drive Around Cooloola area...

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:46 am 
LOST Member

I am still good for this weekend, but maybe come and stay at our place as we don't have dog sitters this weekend. Kinkuna National Park
is 18 minute drive from place, no fees to go play in the sand there :wink: . There is a couple sand pits to try out. The Carroll camp ground
is also free, it has Barbeque facilities, table and chairs, plenty of space, wash room, activities area and even somewhere to take a dip (if I
can get rid of the green stuff floating in it, nothing large doses of clorine can't fix) I am keen for a bit of :JEEPIN:.
Also here is a link to pictures of Kinkuna that I have put on LOST previously.
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=40485

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:42 am 
LOST Member

Greg are you still thinking of coming up this way on the weekend?, there is a spare bed if you are, the weather has not been so great
for camping this week, but perfect for a Kinkuna run. The sand is a bit easier to drive on and the added benifit of a few water
crossings.

Post subject: Good Ole QLD Roads.....Legend of the Pothole.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

With all this rain the past weeks the roads round here are completely pottholed. I generally avoid puddles, but last night driving home hit one on the left hand side, didnt look bad as I approached, but was a deep one, One heck of a THUMP I can tell you, now my wheel alignment is way out, and driving into work this morning, as I hit bumps theres a boing noise there I didn't have before coming from the left front... :furious:

And

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

bugger

not good

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm now going to have Friday off to have a look see whats going on, lucky I have "some" spare parts lying around if need be.

And

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:52 am 
LOST Addict

Boing! Love your sound effects cmohr!

I'm old enough to remember Gerald McBoing-Boing:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21zn8 ... -boing_fun

Its an old short animation from the early 1950's, so the quality is pretty bad by todays standards. I think it was a Dr Suess short story originally.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

I cant find anything obvious this morning???? I was contemplating swapping over the LCAs from B1 to B2, that way all the bushes are newer, but my driveway is still too wet to risk putting the car up on stands and lying under it. I'll have another look again soon, I'm also going to do an oil and filter change today so I'll pop out and get some oil and a filter soon. I'm also thinking of doing the fuel filter if Albion has one.

And

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 pm 
LOST Addict

You need the use of the "LOST" Shed complete with work space & hoist 8)

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Team J.a.G wrote:
You need the use of the "LOST" Shed complete with work space & hoist 8)

That would be handy, :juggle: but a real juggling act with swapping parts from one to the other, Need to put cement slab under the car port , but thats too many spendolies for me..

And

Post subject: I THINK I FOUND IT....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I just been having another look around under there. I have a small bumpstop that I attached to the base of the coil/strut assembly so as the UCA doesnt contact the coil at full extention, I noticed that maybe what was happening was that cable tie that was holding it was a little loose, and that the stop (made from high density nolathane) was being pushed inbetween the coils by the UCA, and then when I hit a bump the coil would bind in it and it would pop out from between the coils... BOING. I cut it off for the time being and could see evidence of contact on it that I belive is from it being crushed in there, drove around hitting a few bumps and Good news no noise ... still have to do the oil change now.

And

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

Hi All,
That's good news Chris saves alot of time and dollars hope B2 is running well.
Cheers
James
gi frog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

If you need a nice dry state of the art shed - Stu has now moved out to his acerage and poured a nice big slab for his shed to sit on (well they were pouring it just before Jambo). I don't know it he has the shed up yet but it sounds like Jeep shed heaven! He needs to have an Open Day!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks Lads,,,

Well, you cant remove the LCA;s unless you pull out the halfshavles. The bolts for the LCAs are trapped in there by them... bugger, so I had a bit of a play with the adjustments on the LCA to correct a bit of positive camber I have.

Did the oil change last night, I got 6lts of Penrite Full Sin 5-40 Diesel for 80bucks, engine actually is a little quieter with it. It replaces the HPR semi-sin I was running. Still have to do fuel filter change, and drain my oil catch can.

I did, just for fun swap over my tyres, now have the Old MTZs on B2 for the first time. Cant feel any difference in power or throttle response , when I stood the MTZ beside the ATZ it was about an inch taller. There is a bit more tyre road noise of course, but not much, going to take B2 for a little drive this arvo, might take a few pics. I'm also going to sell the ATZs on the wrangler alloys on AJOR, as I want to go back to 16's for onroad. Looking at the 694s in the 265/70/16's or maybe the 275/70/16's :juggle:

Glen, I'll have to get onto Stu about getting my CRD front coils soon.

And

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:59 pm 
LOST Addict

I tell you what.... That Penrite Sin Diesel 5-40 is Good Edgar.... I had put the Penrite HPR 10-50 Semi Sin in just after I got B2 as I really wanted to do and oil change as it was pretty black and smoky and I could not find a Fully Sin Diesel at any shop, and did notice a bit of smoke out the exhaust and engine breather after the change. Mainly when I put the boot in and really reved it up (like 3000rpm), but now with the Fully Sin much much less smoke out the back when I stomp on the Go button, I think I'll grab another 6lts of it whilst I know a place that has it, so I have it onhand for the next Oil change.

And

Post subject: Small Bonus....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 pm 
LOST Addict

After having a hard time tracking down some good Fully Sin engine oil for the CRD, I managed to (as above) get some of the Penrite Diesil , which, is grouse, then to find it was now discontinued, bit devistated, but, just had a call from my oil guy, and the loverly Queensland Penrite Oil rep Lady has tracked down the last three 6lt bottles of it, and put them aside for me to pick up today.. So I'm good for the next couple of oil changes...

Nithce...

And

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, a few months ago the rep lady in Sydney got me what she said was the last container of SIN Diesel in NSW. Then she advised me to go back to HPR Diesel 05 which while still containing the additive package for diesels is still a semi-syn. I switched over to Shell Helix Ultra just before Jambo, which is a 5w-40 full synthetic, but it only has the CF grading (but the lable says its fine for turbodiesels without DPFs etc). Not sure if I'll worry too much about the higher graded diesel syns anymore (if I could find them) as my EGR system is no longer pumping black soot into my engine, and I change it fairly regularly so long drain interval stuff is a waste of money for me. And don't forget yor owners manual specifies CF.

Just watch the gradings of the new expensive diesel synthetics, oils like Mobil 1 Turbodiesel, and the like, are all now CJ oils. CJ oils have been shown to cause premature cam follower wear due to the lack of zinc in the additive package. The CJ stuff is required for DPF and Enviro type oil specs in the latest released turbo diesels, but you pay a price in valve train longevity (apparently).

Finger followers are individual levers acting between each cam lobe and its corresponding valve. Their effect is the difference between a soothing massage (good) and karate blows (not good) to the valve stem. That “purposeful gentility” delivers valve actuation that is smooth, precise, high velocity, long lasting and low maintenance. Direct acting fingers have low inertia and are extremely stiff compared to the “pogo-stick” cam-on-stem.

Here is some info I picked up in another forum that explains the issues:

Here's the deal. The difference between the two oils is that the new CJ has about 25% less ZDDP than the older oils. Zinc is used to prevent engine wear.

The reason for the reduction is that all engines will burn a certain amount of oil, even when properly broken in. As we all know, the older the engine gets, the more it burns. The burned zinc clogs the cat (& DPF) , and raises emissions.

Gas engine automotive oils dropped their zinc levels many years ago. Diesels didn't have cats until recently, so the change wasn't required until recently.

So, as I see it, I have two choices. I can use an oil with higher ZDDP levels and protect the cam and followers, but maybe sacrifice the cat. OR, I can use a low zinc oil, and maybe lose the cat. Both are covered under warrenty, so cost is not the issue.

If the cat goes, it will be slow. And the fix is pretty simple. If the cam/followers go, it's a complicated fix that could take weeks. I can't afford that kind of down time. And I can't afford to be stranded in the middle of WY on a holiday week end. So I'll add some ZDDP to the standard CJ oil.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53  Next