It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Viscous fan clutch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
On the way back from our trip last month the engine suddenly started giving out a roaring noise, with the pitch related to engine speed. I reckoned it was the viscous fan clutch not disengaging (actually my first thought was that it might be a turbo problem, but on opening the bonnet it seemed obvious that it was coming from the radiator area).

The Inferno was booked in at Albion for the 70,000 service this Monday, and as I was passing Albion last Wednesday I called in so that Craig (Service Manager) could hear the noise. He agreed that it sounded like the fan.

Dropped it in for the service on Monday, and when I picked it up that evening I was told that they had put the noise down to air intake noise from the snorkel! Didn't argue at the time, but yesterday Liz took the Inferno down to where she works at Zupps and got the mechanics there to look at it - they agreed that it was the viscous fan clutch. So she went back to Albion that afternoon and Craig got it looked at again - they have now ordered a new viscous clutch from Melbourne and it should be fitted next week.

But it raises the question - what were they doing at the service when they couldn't properly diagnose a problem that had been pointed out to them prior to the service? I was even told at one time that "they all sound like that" - well I've been driving this one for 2 1/2 years and I KNOW it never sounded like that before.

When the warranty runs out next Easter I think I may be driving down the Gold Coast to get Danny to service the Jeep - at least I know I can trust him! Got a spare bed for me once every 10,000km, Greg?

Post subject: Re: Viscous fan clutch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:17 pm 
LOST Addict

pipeliner wrote:
When the warranty runs out next Easter I think I may be driving down the Gold Coast to get Danny to service the Jeep - at least I know I can trust him! Got a spare bed for me once every 10,000km, Greg?

You know he just might turn your diesel into a "fish'n'chip" shop for you. :lol:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Last edited by Team J.a.G on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I think Craig has his hands full down there at the moment.. as our talk the other day..

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:34 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Australia - Bris during the week and the Condamine at the weekend
My KJ's been doing the same thing for the past month - not all the time but generally when setting off from the lights or in slow traffic. No over heating problems as yet but definite loss of power - Any idea of the price for a new one?