It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Where to test my battery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:57 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 1984
Location: Sydney
I think my battery may be on the out and out, so I'm thinking I should have it tested. Will any auto shop do it, also what's the best replacement battery (+ item number if you have it). Thanks lads.

_________________
Member No: 152595
Susky Bro V The Highlander Terminator, got it Wuggs

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:59 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
Battery World, or any decent auto electrician

_________________
November 2006 2.8 CRD manual, CRDSTU front springs, King HD rears, Polyairs, LT245/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs, DP chip, Airflow snorkel
TJM alloy front bar, Ox 9500lb winch, Hella Compact 4000 spots, Complete set Mopar skid plates, Mopar cargo barrier
GME TX3440 UHF, Codan NGT HF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:36 pm 
Offline
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:18 pm
Posts: 2209
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Optima's are good but be prepared to spend $$$$$$$ on one

_________________
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/742957
aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
My 2006 CRD came with an Optima Red Top as standard.

_________________
November 2006 2.8 CRD manual, CRDSTU front springs, King HD rears, Polyairs, LT245/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs, DP chip, Airflow snorkel
TJM alloy front bar, Ox 9500lb winch, Hella Compact 4000 spots, Complete set Mopar skid plates, Mopar cargo barrier
GME TX3440 UHF, Codan NGT HF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 1984
Location: Sydney
pipeliner wrote:
My 2006 CRD came with an Optima Red Top as standard.


OK, I will get it looked at and price the Red Top.

_________________
Member No: 152595
Susky Bro V The Highlander Terminator, got it Wuggs

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Australia with the Kangaroos
CD wrote:
pipeliner wrote:
My 2006 CRD came with an Optima Red Top as standard.


OK, I will get it looked at and price the Red Top.


I have the Yellow Top. Duel porpose, Cranking and 50 amp hour deep cycle. Brilliant. No need for duel battery system

_________________
SOME SAY

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:49 am
Posts: 528
Location: Wherever offensive avatars are found!! - Well, Brisvegas mostly...
cmohr wrote:
CD wrote:
pipeliner wrote:
My 2006 CRD came with an Optima Red Top as standard.


OK, I will get it looked at and price the Red Top.


I have the Yellow Top. Duel porpose, Cranking and 50 amp hour deep cycle. Brilliant. No need for duel battery system


Same, Same...Yellow Top is the GO!!!

_________________
2003 3.7 KJ Atlantic Blue Povo Pack
OME Lift 2.5", 245/70/16 BFG A/T, Fully Skid
GLEND Storage Unit #1
Alloys, Receiver Hitch & Treg Hitch
TJM Prototype Nudge Bar,
30L Waeco Cooler, Uniden UHF, Garmin GPS
Optima Yellow Top, 6Stacker, Night Stalker Spotties
Airflow Snorkel, 3 LOST Stickers
The Lil' HEEP
Waltzing my Matilda all over...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:15 am 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 pm
Posts: 970
Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
cmohr wrote:
I have the Yellow Top. Duel porpo(i)se,


I have this wonderful mental picture of two dolphins wearing yellow hard hats fighting with each other.

Chris, your inability to spell never ceases to provide me with harmless entertainment. "Dual Purpose" is far less interesting.

_________________
November 2006 2.8 CRD manual, CRDSTU front springs, King HD rears, Polyairs, LT245/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs, DP chip, Airflow snorkel
TJM alloy front bar, Ox 9500lb winch, Hella Compact 4000 spots, Complete set Mopar skid plates, Mopar cargo barrier
GME TX3440 UHF, Codan NGT HF


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:24 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:13 am
Posts: 1010
Location: GOLD COAST
pipeliner wrote:
cmohr wrote:
I have the Yellow Top. Duel porpo(i)se,


I have this wonderful mental picture of two dolphins wearing yellow hard hats fighting with each other.

Chris, your inability to spell never ceases to provide me with harmless entertainment. "Dual Purpose" is far less interesting.


Just typo's I'm sure. Hazards of working in the Print industry most likely. Whereas I just can't sellp

_________________
02KJ LTD
245x75Rx16 Hankook MTRT03
ARB Winch Bar,Tiger11 Winch,4xNarva spots,GME UHF,Navman GPS
Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:48 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Australia with the Kangaroos
Team J.a.G wrote:
pipeliner wrote:
cmohr wrote:
I have the Yellow Top. Duel porpo(i)se,


I have this wonderful mental picture of two dolphins wearing yellow hard hats fighting with each other.

Chris, your inability to spell never ceases to provide me with harmless entertainment. "Dual Purpose" is far less interesting.


Just typo's I'm sure. Hazards of working in the Print industry most likely. Whereas I just can't sellp




Whereas I just can't sellp :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Albino Dolphins actualualllyy

_________________
SOME SAY

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:27 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 1984
Location: Sydney
I got a quote for a Rocket battery, deliver & fitted for $220. Normal battery like the stock is $185 del & fit. He didn't know about the yellow or red tops so I will have a look on the net tonight.

_________________
Member No: 152595
Susky Bro V The Highlander Terminator, got it Wuggs

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:52 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Australia with the Kangaroos
CD wrote:
I got a quote for a Rocket battery, deliver & fitted for $220. Normal battery like the stock is $185 del & fit. He didn't know about the yellow or red tops so I will have a look on the net tonight.



A Rocket Battery???? Crikey! Where are you going....... The MOON?????? :lol:

Optima....very good, very Expensive, also worth asking about marine batteries, they are duel "PURPOSE" as well. Can save a few spendolies, just make sure it has the correct cranking amps.

_________________
SOME SAY

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:01 am 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am
Posts: 178
Location: Sydney
um... all i could find relating to rocket batteries was :?:
Image

gonna need a few of these i think :)

www.rocketbatteries.com.au

couldn't find anything on their website relating to car/marine/truck... where did you track them down CD?

cheers
Stephen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:19 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm
Posts: 1786
Location: Australia with the Kangaroos
smorison wrote:
um... all i could find relating to rocket batteries was :?:
Image

gonna need a few of these i think :)

www.rocketbatteries.com.au

couldn't find anything on their website relating to car/marine/truck... where did you track them down CD?

cheers
Stephen




Hahahaha, I'm still wiping tears from my eyes after that one... :lol: :lol:

_________________
SOME SAY

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:07 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 1984
Location: Sydney
OK you sensored word, I called a company called mobile wheels :roll: The add said they do batteries but considering they didn't know what a yellow or pink or red top was I'd say they may not be the ducks nuts.

(I tyed in B a s t a r d s & jerks came up :lol: :lol: :lol: that's great)


Stephen, those rockets look like black and gold specials :lol:

Quote:
just make sure it has the correct cranking amps.


You are making this hard for me cmohr, where do I find this info :?:

_________________
Member No: 152595
Susky Bro V The Highlander Terminator, got it Wuggs

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:06 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am
Posts: 178
Location: Sydney
CD wrote:
Stephen, those rockets look like black and gold specials :lol:

Chris,
lol ;) on the bright side the could be dual purpose... if you had a battery opperated porpoise ;)

cranking amps is um CCA (cold cranking amps - i'm pretty sure that's what it stands for). should be listed on your current battery.
this might help http://www.apexbattery.com/car-batterie ... eries.html

i don't think they list the bigger oiler on there however i would be suprised if you needed anything larger than 600CCA. i did find these stats.
Powertrain
Block heater Optional
136-amp. alternator Standard
600 CCA battery Standard
700 CCA battery Optional

Battery-rundown protection Standard
Low emission vehicle II Standard
Single stainless steel exhaust Standard

the bigger the battery the higher the CCA and the longer you can run additional equipment from it.

i've just put in the extra heavy duty NRMA one (thanks to going overseas for a month without the car being started)... I'll check the price for you if your interested, however it was something like 150 including the 5yr warranty (now i've never had a battery last that long). In future i'll probbaly swap it out for a smaller battery and look to setup a dual setup of some kind...

hope this helps mate

Cheers
stephen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:09 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 1984
Location: Sydney
smorison wrote:
CD wrote:
Stephen, those rockets look like black and gold specials :lol:

Chris,
lol ;) on the bright side the could be dual purpose... if you had a battery opperated porpoise ;)

cranking amps is um CCA (cold cranking amps - i'm pretty sure that's what it stands for). should be listed on your current battery.
this might help http://www.apexbattery.com/car-batterie ... eries.html

i don't think they list the bigger oiler on there however i would be suprised if you needed anything larger than 600CCA. i did find these stats.
Powertrain
Block heater Optional
136-amp. alternator Standard
600 CCA battery Standard
700 CCA battery Optional

Battery-rundown protection Standard
Low emission vehicle II Standard
Single stainless steel exhaust Standard

the bigger the battery the higher the CCA and the longer you can run additional equipment from it.

i've just put in the extra heavy duty NRMA one (thanks to going overseas for a month without the car being started)... I'll check the price for you if your interested, however it was something like 150 including the 5yr warranty (now i've never had a battery last that long). In future i'll probbaly swap it out for a smaller battery and look to setup a dual setup of some kind...

hope this helps mate

Cheers
stephen


Thanks Stephen, I had a look at the NRMA site last night also Marshall (SP). Do you need to be a memeber of NRMA to get the battery service?

_________________
Member No: 152595
Susky Bro V The Highlander Terminator, got it Wuggs

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 am
Posts: 178
Location: Sydney
CD wrote:
[
Thanks Stephen, I had a look at the NRMA site last night also Marshall (SP). Do you need to be a memeber of NRMA to get the battery service?


Don't know sorry, could always ring them up and ask, if you do and you want we we could always use my membership on the weekend to get you one - it might work ;)

But i can tell you from personal experience that having to sign up on the spot for NRMA sucks ... costs like 380.00 for the first year with instant activation... but as i was blocking an off-ramp during peakhour i thought it prudent to get the jeep out of the way quick smart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:22 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:28 pm
Posts: 1984
Location: Sydney
Just had the battery tested and it's all good, however I need to clean the terminals as they are not making a clean contact.

_________________
Member No: 152595
Susky Bro V The Highlander Terminator, got it Wuggs

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:34 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 pm
Posts: 44
G'day Fellas,

There's been some mention of the Optima Yellow Top as an alternative to a dual battery setup.

I understand that the yellow top is a combined cranking and deepcycle battery - but it's still one battery yeah? and so if you 'accidentally' leave on the fridge/camplight etc your one battery is gunna die (and you won't be able to start the car).

Or are you guys using the yellowtop with some sort of voltage regulator that opens the power circuit once you get down to a certain voltage?

Thanks,
Eric.

PS, there are some optima red tops on ebay - going for around the $200 mark.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com