It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

Vote ONLY if you are seriously thinking of joining the Red Centre trip
Starting from Brisbane/QLD 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Starting from Sydney/NSW 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Starting from Melbourne/Vic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Starting from Adelaide/SA 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Starting from Perth/WA 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Starting from Darwin/NT 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:36 pm 
LOST Member

Gi'day all, are we there yet, are we there yet?????????????.lol
I have one of those tanami pumps to fit the steel jerry cans. The rest of my spares won't be of much interest to others as we will be taking the Grand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 am 
LOST Addict

FYI, I just noticed that the Birdsville Races are on the 4th and 5th of September. For those contemplating coming back from the Red Centre through Birdsville you might want to make sure you have accomodation arranged at the caravan park. A look at the Birdsville Races website might help - they say that accomodation can be a problem in the caravan park that week, but camping along the river is allowed. Not sure of what you have planned for the return as I sort of lost interest after I had to drop out, but thought I would let you know. Heck, it would be great to be there for the races and what a way to cap off the trip. ANyway here's the Birdsville Races website:

http://www.birdsvilleraces.com/Races2008/FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:02 pm 
LOST Member

We might just need a stop like that to wash the dust down :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
This site is worth a look. Makes me think that a total of 137 litres may not be enough - I'll have to work out where I can store some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:17 am 
LOST Member

I printed that site out last night at work, very handy info there. I'm starting to think about leaving the camper van at home and just tenting it instead.
Has anyone a more definite route planed so as to work out fuel, number of nights etc. I was thinking of four jerry cans on the roof, that gives me 155ltrs.
Regards Ross & Imelda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 am 
LOST Addict

There are some rear hitch mounted cargo trays available that might suit the KJ, and could be used to carry jerrys (although you would want to watch the towbar tongue weight). Here is one:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CC2~52018.htm

Obviously only if your leaving the trailer at home.

Probably illegal in Oz, but its an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Had a talk with Roscoe yesterday about the itinerary after we get to Uluru.

Currently we are leaving Birdsville on the morning of Tuesday 25th August which should get us to Mt Dare by Thursday/Friday and into Uluru Sat/Sun.

After that we really haven't made any firm plans. I expect we will spend a few days looking round Uluru, Kings Canyon, the Olgas, etc, then head north to Alice Springs. After that Liz and I and Liz's sister and b.i.l. will head back along the Plenty and Donohue to visit Longreach, Winton, Barcaldine and Blackall on the way home.

My feeling is that each member of the trip is likely to have different requirements at the end of the trip - GI Frog has to get back to Sydney, NT Jeep to Darwin, G'me Mud to Blackwater/Mackay and the rest of us to Brisbane or the Gold Coast - and the roads we will travel are relatively good so that convoy travelling will not be needed for safety reasons. Also we are likely to have different ideas as to what we want to do for the rest of the trip.

So basically, I suggest that once we have arrived at Uluru we each make our own arrangements as to how we want to proceed from there. If anyone wants to join up with us they are very welcome to do so, or post up your ideas and we'll see how we all fit together.

LESS THAN 7 WEEKS TO GO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:42 pm 
LOST Addict

J.a.G has been re-considering route options after we clear the Simpson. This is what we are proposing subject to time restraints etc.

After Re fueliing at Mt Dare push Nth on to Finke; then following the old Ghan Track to Alice Springs Via Maryvale 137km (fuel) & Chambers Pillar; Across to Hugh River through Rainbow Valley and on to Alice (approx. 200km)

Re-Stocking up on groceries etc. as/if required then leave Alice for Ularu/Yulara via Hermannsburg, Mereenie Loop & Kings Canyon to Yulara.

Once we have done the sights at the rock & Olgas we propose to head south down the Stuart hwy to Marie then across the Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta; then down to William creek and up to view Lake Eyre; Back on track to Maree; At Maree we have two options to either:-
A) go onto Lynhurst & return home via Camerons Cnr, Tibooburra, Bourke, Lightning ridge, Gold Coast; OR
B) Return to Birdsvile Via the Birdsville Track then again subject to time restraints either:-1) up to Winton (to view the Dinosaur Bones) via Boulia then home via Longreach; OR
2)From Birsville home via Charlieville, Roma & Dalby.

Obviously anyone wishing to join us would be most welcome and/or offer any comments.

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:51 am 
LOST Member

That sounds interesting J.a.G. I was wondering how to fit in Chambers pillar and Lamberts Centre of Oz. It would be easy to take a run out to Lamberts and back into Finke then up to Chambers Pillar. I would be also interested in checking out Lake Ayre while its got some H20 in it, from there Marree, Lyndhurst, Cameron Corner,Tibooburra, Noccundra, Thargomindah, Cunnamulla, Charleville, Augathella, Tambo,(Salvator Rosa NP), springsure, Rolleston, Black-bloody-Water. Or something totally different :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

Team J.a.G wrote:
J.a.G has been re-considering route options after we clear the Simpson. This is what we are proposing subject to time restraints etc.

After Re fueliing at Mt Dare push Nth on to Finke; then following the old Ghan Track to Alice Springs Via Maryvale 137km (fuel) & Chambers Pillar; Across to Hugh River through Rainbow Valley and on to Alice (approx. 200km)

Re-Stocking up on groceries etc. as/if required then leave Alice for Ularu/Yulara via Hermannsburg, Mereenie Loop & Kings Canyon to Yulara.

Once we have done the sights at the rock & Olgas we propose to head south down the Stuart hwy to Marie then across the Oodnadatta Track to Oodnadatta; then down to William creek and up to view Lake Eyre; Back on track to Maree; At Maree we have two options to either:-
A) go onto Lynhurst & return home via Camerons Cnr, Tibooburra, Bourke, Lightning ridge, Gold Coast; OR
B) Return to Birdsvile Via the Birdsville Track then again subject to time restraints either:-1) up to Winton (to view the Dinosaur Bones) via Boulia then home via Longreach; OR
2)From Birsville home via Charlieville, Roma & Dalby.

Obviously anyone wishing to join us would be most welcome and/or offer any comments.

Let's talk about it this weekend round the camp fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
LOST Member

OK, the time has come for me to make up my mind to either take the 'dove outback' or tent it. I would favour the camper but I think it is going to add to the hassle to others if help is needed to drag it over the dunes. I am aware that the track is rough and some stuff will probably fall off the Jayco, thats what happens isn't it.
Please feel free to add your thoughts/ comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

G'ME MUD wrote:
OK, the time has come for me to make up my mind to either take the 'dove outback' or tent it. I would favour the camper but I think it is going to add to the hassle to others if help is needed to drag it over the dunes. I am aware that the track is rough and some stuff will probably fall off the Jayco, thats what happens isn't it.
Please feel free to add your thoughts/ comments.

Hi Ross
This is JaG's current thoughts.........Whilst we don't mind tenting it for the few days to cross the Simpson we are not excited to continue to put a tent etc. up & down for the following 2.5weeks. Therefore we are considering the following options.
1. Looking into the remote availability/feasibility and costs to have Millie shipped over to Alice from Birdsville or Brisbane :?
2. Leave Millie at Birdsville........... on to Big Red & Popells Cnr & return to Birdsville (=2 nights at Birdsville)
Re- Hook Millie and travel down Birdsville track to Maree, William Creek (view Lake Eyre :?: ) on to Oonadatta via the Oonadatta Track, Dalhousie, Finke and follow the old Ghan track, Chambers Pillar, Rainbow valley, into Alice.
Then leave Alice for Ularu/Yulara via Hermannsburg, Mereenie Loop & Kings Canyon to Yulara & Olgas. Home would then be via the Plenty Hwy.

As we are NOT 21 anymore we have decided that we are not prepared to spend 3weeks assembling and disassembling tents and associated equipment which will leave us uncomfortable and tied and not being able to enjoy the trip. If this means we will miss the full crossing of the Simpson, so be it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

We are pretty much thinking along the same lines as Team J.a.G. - like them we enjoy our comfort too much to spend 3 weeks in a tent. At present we are still thinking of towing the trailer across but are looking into the cost of trucking it (plus Millie plus one other) round to Alice.

If we end up deciding to tow we are prepared to turn around and return to Birdsville if it becomes apparent that we are not going to make it. My main concern is holding the others up - the last thing we want is to be a nuisance to the rest of the party.

The other factor is that we are set up to travel with the trailer - leaving it behind means arranging to carry water, fuel, cooking equipment, food, tent, sleeping bags, etc in the Jeep, and quite apart from the fact that we don't own half the necessities we are not set up to store them efficiently in the Jeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

Ok my mind is made up, the camper is comming along, like Pipes I'm prepared to give it a go and if it turns out to be too much trouble then I'll turn around and take the southern detour via Maree William Creek Oodnadatta Finke etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:21 am 
LOST Member

Got the ARB bar fitted yesterday in Mackay, had to fit an '06 model grill so the bar would fit, bloody jeep can,t make the same thing anymore than two years in a row now. Skids and rock rails go on at first service.
Been busy cleaning out the Jayco and managed to fit some tie-downs in the front boot area to hold four jerry cans, just got to fix some sort of battery tie-downs now.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:16 am 
LOST Addict

Mannnn .... That a mean lookin machine Ross 8)

Post subject: red centre trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 am 
LOST Member

:( Hi All,
I have been looking forward to this trip for a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time ever since pipes put forward the idea.
I have to let you guys know that I have to pull out of the great L.O.S.T trip of the year due to medical grounds, I have just been diagnosed with diabetes undergoing further testing to find out which type over the 3-4 weeks bummer.
Regards
James
Gi Frog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:59 am 
LOST Addict

So sorry to here that James. :( Life can be inconvenient at times :x . However once you are settled in with your regular proceedure you can get back the more serious stuff........Offroad adventures :wink: :!: :!:

Post subject: red centre trip
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,
Thanks Team JAG, already planning a local trip for the same time around my appointments.
Looking for other L.O.S.T available for a week away in early Sep 09 for camping and 4wd driving Sydney area.
Thanks
James
Gi Frog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:12 am 
LOST Addict

Sorry to hear that James. I'll PM you re the local trip. I think there are only three active LOST people in Sydney now: you, me and Jenko. CD dropped out, and Steven moved overseas. ED? Well, best of luck with the testing. Here's hoping it is the mildest form of Type 2 and you can get by with tablets and diet management. :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next