It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

Vote ONLY if you are seriously thinking of joining the Red Centre trip
Starting from Brisbane/QLD 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Starting from Sydney/NSW 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Starting from Melbourne/Vic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Starting from Adelaide/SA 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Starting from Perth/WA 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Starting from Darwin/NT 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:12 am 
LOST Addict

HHhhhHMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
CD wrote:
Depending on things at the time and my financial situation I will consider flying up and rent a car :wink: Not joking, Karen & I have talked about it and neither of us want to do such a long trip with the kids. So that’s where I’m at with this trip.

Tell your (or Karen's) parents that, as a special treat, you will allow them to have their grandchildren to stay for a whole fortnight this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 am 
LOST Addict

pipeliner wrote:
CD wrote:
Depending on things at the time and my financial situation I will consider flying up and rent a car :wink: Not joking, Karen & I have talked about it and neither of us want to do such a long trip with the kids. So that’s where I’m at with this trip.

Tell your (or Karen's) parents that, as a special treat, you will allow them to have their grandchildren to stay for a whole fortnight this year!

Now your talking :D

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 am 
LOST Member

Team J.a.G wrote:
I'm really pleased I had it installed .......particularly towing Millie & long trips between fuel stops (e.g Strze. Track etc.) Even around town you can benefit from wait a bit longer to fuel when the prices are more attractive.

Did it screw up your fuel gauge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:49 am 
LOST Addict

ed. wrote:
Team J.a.G wrote:
I'm really pleased I had it installed .......particularly towing Millie & long trips between fuel stops (e.g Strze. Track etc.) Even around town you can benefit from wait a bit longer to fuel when the prices are more attractive.

Did it screw up your fuel gauge?

No not at all. All components re-adjusted to suit larger capacity

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:56 am 
LOST Junkie

OK, so far it's a possible 6 from Qld and 3 from Sydney. Doesn't anyone in any other state have a KJ capable of long distance travel, or is it the problem of getting 2 weeks off?

The Sydney trippers will obviously not want to join the Qlders for the journey over (though they are wecome to meet us in Brisbane or somewhere on the Warrego Hwy), but do you want to join in the trip back via the French Line and Birdsville?

Sometime in the next couple of months I will organise a trip planning meeting at the LOST Brisbane clubhouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:14 am 
LOST Addict

pipeliner wrote:
OK, so far it's a possible 6 from Qld and 3 from Sydney. Doesn't anyone in any other state have a KJ capable of long distance travel, or is it the problem of getting 2 weeks off?

The Sydney trippers will obviously not want to join the Qlders for the journey over (though they are wecome to meet us in Brisbane or somewhere on the Warrego Hwy), but do you want to join in the trip back via the French Line and Birdsville?

Sometime in the next couple of months I will organise a trip planning meeting at the LOST Brisbane clubhouse.

I'll bring the cheesecake :P

And

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:25 am 
LOST Addict

Perhaps a trip planning meeting over a beer at Camp Coffs might be more do-able for the Sydney people.

BTW the Sydney Jeep Club has released its trip plan for their Simpson Desert Trip (at the meeting this past week). Dates are 13 -23 July (school holidays in NSW due to the leader being a teacher). I have a day by day itinerary, with fuel stops, lunch stops, etc. Commences from Broken Hill to: Flinders Ranges,
Marree, Lake Eyre, Birdsville Track, Poeppel Corner, Birdsville Hotel, Innaminka, Old Strezlecki Track, Cameron's Corner, Tibooburra, and back through White Cliffs. It's 5132kms from Sydney to Sydney.

I would think some of this is going to depend on Qld keeping some of that water up there, I can just imagine what that is going to do to that whole area from Poeppel Corner down to south Lake Eyre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:28 am 
LOST Addict

Glend wrote:
Perhaps a trip planning meeting over a beer at Camp Coffs might be more do-able for the Sydney people.

BTW the Sydney Jeep Club has released its trip plan for their Simpson Desert Trip (at the meeting this past week). Dates are 13 -23 July (school holidays in NSW due to the leader being a teacher). I have a day by day itinerary, with fuel stops, lunch stops, etc. Commences from Broken Hill to: Flinders Ranges,
Marree, Lake Eyre, Birdsville Track, Poeppel Corner, Birdsville Hotel, Innaminka, Old Strezlecki Track, Cameron's Corner, Tibooburra, and back through White Cliffs. It's 5132kms from Sydney to Sydney.

I would think some of this is going to depend on Qld keeping some of that water up there, I can just imagine what that is going to do to that whole area from Poeppel Corner down to south Lake Eyre.

I'll bring the Cheesecake :P

And

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:30 am 
LOST Addict

So what's involved in making the KJ ready for a trip like this :?: New shocks, different rubber, different cooling, long range tank.. etc. What's the go?

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:42 pm 
LOST Addict

CD wrote:
So what's involved in making the KJ ready for a trip like this :?: New shocks, different rubber, different cooling, long range tank.. etc. What's the go?

I would definately recommend the Long range tanks and maybe plus a jerry or two.

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not all the Qld contingent are coming to Coffs, but we can certainly have a planning meeting there as well.

Long range tanks would be nice but there should be no need to spend squillions to get a vehicle ready. Common sense, standard spares (which can be shared because we will all have similar vehicles, and a knowledge of your fuel consumption in desert conditions should suffice. I will check distances between fuel stops before we all meet.

All vehicles should be thoroughly serviced before departure, and be fitted with recovery points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

OK, first look at distances between fuelling points (from Hema maps)

On the Qld route over (via the Donohue and Plenty Highways), the longest distance between fuel stops is 362km on bitumen (Winton to Boulia) and 253km on dirt (Boulia to Tobermorey on the Donohue).

Coming back the longest is across the Simpson from Mt Dare to Birdsville at 431km, and Birdsville to Windorah at 386km.

So, assuming everyone has at least a 70 litre tank, if you can't manage 16.2 lit/100km on sand and over dunes you will need to carry additional jerrycans (or fit a long range tank!

I will have 117 litres available (77 lit tank plus 2 jerries) so I can get away with 27 lit/100 - and I can't believe I'll get anywhere near that with a CRD! So I MAY (if asked nicely!) be able to carry an extra 20lit of petrol as a reserve for you dark side lot with spark plugs. If any other CRD's are with us (Ed?) then it becomes even more possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:17 am 
LOST Addict

Pipes, Ok I can go along with your fuel figures for the CRDs. Re transport of the jerrys. If I have my camper with me I would be carrying my jerrys on that. If I didn't take the camper I might just bring the trailer and would be prepared to transport diesel jerrys in a secure box in that. However, I think it is nuts to consider carrying petrol jerry cans inside a vehicle (likewise LPG tanks frankly). I know that Rola has a nice rack deck with LPG and jerry mounts that bolt to it, now that is an option.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:00 am 
LOST Junkie

Glend, I fully agree that carrying petrol jerries inside the vehicle is a no-no - my two will be mounted on the camper-trailer. By the way, the Hema Desert Tracks book gives Mt Dare to Birdsville as 507km, not 431 - I must have miscounted the numbers! This means that only Team J.a.G has any chance of getting through without jerries - those of us with trailers will be well laden!.

For the Simpson Desert everyone will need a sand flag as well.

How much time can people take off for this trip? I originally said we could do it in a fortnight (16 days Sat-Sun) and I still think that is possible, but it leaves very little (i.e. no) spare time for enjoying and investigating stuff along the way. I can take off as long as I want, but we all want to do the Simpson together (safety in numbers) so we need to know how much time we have for the itinerary planning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Pipeliner,
Tobermorey is closed according to 4x4 mag. You will have to go through to Jervois Station approx. 460kms from Boulia for your first fuel stop.
On my last trip accross the Simpson I used 113 litres for 588 kms from Birdsville to Mt. Dare via the WAA line and part of the Rig rd. doging flooded clay pans.
I was driving a 3l v6 pajero manual and averaged 19.22 l per 100kms.
Most of the other vehicles on the trip were diesel 80 and 100 series landcruisers which averaged between 22 and 25l per 100 kms.
We averaged around 100 - 120 kms a day for 8hrs travelling.
The desert is a magic place you would want to have a rest day in the desert if you can spare the time.
Cheers :lol: :lol:

White '07 KJ 3.7l
2" ARB lift

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:05 pm 
LOST Addict

When I did the SA trip a few years ago, I carried 4 jerry cans in the boot of the KJ, in the special box I made. Never had a problem.. But, am thinking I will have a trailer, so not a concern this time.

And

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 am 
LOST Newbie

cmohr wrote:
Trust me...IT would be an offroad trailer by the time I was finished with it...

2JeepFamily wrote:
you could alway's turn it into an offroader as long as the chassis is well built,
400 dollars is a bargin, is that the trailer in the picture? it looks in good nick
cheap to change axle and springs

Yes, thats the trailer fort sale... Also just found the maker of it, they are over Goodna way, and new, they are 750. might pop over there and see what they can do in the way of a custom jobby, might make sense to get exactly what i want from the start and not waste money on modding one. I already have some shockies lying around, and the wheels I want to have on the trailer already...

Starting to get a bit excited about this trip...

Come on Lads, surely some of our Western Crew are interested??????

The First National LOST KJ's Australia Annual General Meeting shouldn't be missed :lol:

It sounds like a great trip that your organising unfortunately I'm already commited to the Kimberly for this year. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:44 am 
LOST Addict

Bugger, would have been nice to meet up with some WA lads..

Hmmmmm... Kimberly's :P

And

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

What is the best way from Sydney?
Are we all going to meet up in Birdsville or Alice Springs?

I just typed it in to google maps and to Alice Springs it's saying to go via Wagga Wagga, Mildura, into SA and up to Alice Springs.

Birdsville it says Bourke, Cunnamulla to Birdsville.

I'd like to do the Simpson with you guys, that would be the reason for going up to Birdsville for me :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next