It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Vote ONLY if you are seriously thinking of joining the Red Centre trip
Starting from Brisbane/QLD 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Starting from Sydney/NSW 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Starting from Melbourne/Vic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Starting from Adelaide/SA 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Starting from Perth/WA 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Starting from Darwin/NT 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Red Centre Trip August-Sept 2009 - PHOTOS NOW AVAILABLE!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
I thought it might be a good idea to find out how many people in each State are considering joining in, so please, only check the poll if you are serious about the possibility of coming.

Check out http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=415867#415867

Last edited by pipeliner on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 am 
LOST Member

I voted as we are seriously considering it but, I am not saying we are a definate as yet. It will have to be before ( or after) the school holidays for me to be able to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's all I want at present Roscoe, to know who is considering it. Because obviously we will arrange the dates to suit those interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:05 pm 
LOST Member

work travel is still a challenge for me, i'll know closer. for now put me down as a yes until payment or numbers have to be firmed up.

cheers and thanks for understanding ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Cath and Myself are also very very keen to do a trip there, but, would have to see that no-one else here at work has the same time off, I know my boss has alrteady said he is having 2 weeks off around that time. Also I need to set up the KJ for such a trip.

But, we are keen and would very much like to do the trip..but as said before really need to make sure we can.

Lost in the Red Centre would be an excellent trip!!!!!

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

School holidays in QLD are Saturday 19 September to Sunday 4 October 2009 (incl.). NSW holidays are 5-16 October.

So my provisional suggestion is that we meet up at Desert Oaks (200km S of Alice Springs, 260km to Uluru) on Friday 28th August and stay there for a long weekend, leaving on Tuesday 1st Sept. That should give everyone enough time to get there without rushing and still fit it into a fortnight break (16 days Sat 22nd Aug to Sunday 6th Sept.)

I suggest Desert Springs http://www.desertoaksresort.com/ because they have accommodation ranging from camp sites at $10/person/night (children $ 8) to family motel rooms at $127/night. However if anyone knows a better deal, let's hear it. Ayers Rock Resort is $15 per person for a campsite!

Last edited by pipeliner on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 pm 
LOST Addict

PS... If this IS a happening Thang... should also put it up on AJOR to see how many more recruits we can get?????

Some of tha lads aren't as LOST as we.

And

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

Done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 am 
LOST Addict

What route are you thinking of to get there Chris????

And

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:56 am 
LOST Junkie

From Brisbane - Toowoomba, Roma, Mitchell (1st stop 685km), Morven, Augathella, Blackall, Barcaldine, Longreach, Winton (2nd stop 1391km), Boulia, Donohue Hwy, Plenty Hwy, Stuart Hwy, Alice Springs, Erldunda (Desert Springs).

I haven't considered any stops past Winton yet. I expect G'ME MUD would meet up with us in Barcaldine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 am 
LOST Junkie

Come back via Finke, the French Line, Big Red and Birdsville??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 am 
LOST Member

That is what I had in mind pipes, head west from here then come back through Birdsville. Places to possibly visit, The Rock, The loop road that takes in valley of the palms etc., Chambers pillar, Waddy trees, Geographical center of Aus.. Big Red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:44 am 
LOST Junkie

Liz has told me categorically that I am NOT taking the camper trailer over Big Red!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:23 am 
LOST Member

I have just got a camper and was looking forward to the challenge of dragging it across the desert. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:52 am 
LOST Addict

Milly's excited at the challenge of all that sand.........but i told her she just can't go :!: :wink: But Team J.a.G is highly interested. :D

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Post subject: I'll ask
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Given the route Pipeliner has described (from/to Brissy) I understand the issues with Camper Trailers on Big Red and other sections of that route. However, I will be coming from either far north Qld (if I do that Cape this year with my son) or from Sydney. Either of these starting points give me sealed road options to the Alice (via Mt Isa in north Qld, and via Broken Hill in NSW). I don't see a problem with my camper coming along if I use these routes. If I do the Cape trip I'll have my camper with me anyway so it would have to come to Alice (which means I'd have to come via Mt Isa, unless the Plenty Highway is good enough). Regarding trips around Alice and out the Mereenie Loop, Kings Canyon etc, would this require leaving the camper at a base camp (which I would be prepared to do) and day tripping? I guess that since this is sort of an organise yourself trip the only common trip time is around Alice and Uluru from 28 Aug - 1 Sept, thus my interest in the views of those that have been in the area before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Glend, what sort of camper have you got? Ours is an offroad Odyssey and I would take that on any track that the KJ would travel on (within reason).

I've never travelled the Donohue and Plenty highways, but I reckon that most campers should be able to cope with those.

Ross, looking forward to seeing your camper at the weekend.

Post subject: A picture is worth a thousand words
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

It is not one of those very expensive tent campers you see everywhere. It is a slide-on design built by me using my boat building background, and here's the link to the AJOR build thread:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... iler+Slide

The camper has done a fairly punishing trip around central and north Qld (6000km) without any concerns. It sits on a good 'onroad' trailer at the moment, but after Camp Coffs I am putting it on a purpose built off-road trailer that will be made by Marios Trailers in Sydney. It will have full box section chassis, Tregg hitch, Brakes, independent suspension, long drawbar, forward storage etc.

Here are some pics of the beast. Weighbridge weight fully loaded is less than 500kg as pictured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:24 pm 
LOST Member

I was last over the Plenty 30 years ago and we did it a HJ holden ute and it was not a bad road then. The QLD side of the border was a lot worse than the Territory side but still easy going if you took your time. We had plenty of time, plenty of beer and not much petrol so alls good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Started looking into small box trailer for carrying stuuf to go on a trip, only need a real small one, just saw a 5 x 3.5 ft with a canopy for 400 advertised at Buderum, may have a look at it next week.

Will then fit it with some extra raks, and jerry can carriers, a few deep cycle batteries. and Bobs your Uncle.. Trip ready.

Don't want to go all out camper trailer, just something to put the gear in, so as the car is carrying less in it.

And

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next