It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Rubber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:06 am 
LOST Member

Location: Australia - Bris during the week and the Condamine at the weekend
Finally had to get new tires after the right rear delaminated on the way back from Yatalla last week - not a nice feeling at all. Been holding out trying to save the dollars but definitely left it too long - could have been very nasty.

So the new rubber is.... coopers again, but the ST this time not the STT and smaller :shock: in fact a couple of sizes down. I've gone back to a 245/75/16 and after a couple of days driving I'm pleased with the change.

Fuel consumption has come back from a shocking 23-26/100 to a reasonable level of 17/100 and that's without any highway time.
Power is back to a reasonable level, towing is much easier now.
The speedo actually reads correctly - gps and gauge match for the first time in years
Rubbing is down to a minimum even at full lock on the front and full articulation in the rear
And the best bit - I can now reverse up an incline without the transmission judder or having to move to 4 lo. Given the number of dead transmissions in the past year, my own included I felt a lighter load might give it some more and hopefully a longer life.

The only down side I've found is the KJ feels more tippy - might be the lower weight of the rubber or the thinner profile but I notice the lightness and more bounce.

Might even make the next trip now I don;t need tire warmers for the slicks :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Wherever offensive avatars are found!! - Well, Brisvegas mostly...
Did you ever get the pinion reset done for the 265's you were running?
There is something quietly reassuring about going back close to stock :roll:
M

GLEND Storage Unit #1
Alloys, Receiver Hitch & Treg Hitch
TJM Prototype Nudge Bar,
30L Waeco Cooler, Uniden UHF, Garmin GPS
Optima Yellow Top, 6Stacker, Night Stalker Spotties
Airflow Snorkel, 3 LOST Stickers
The Lil' HEEP
Waltzing my Matilda all over...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Australia - Bris during the week and the Condamine at the weekend
I had Albion do the pinion reset four or five times the last two times it seemed to stick for a while then just reset itself. Only thing I could place was it always happened after the ABS had kicked in. They were changing it in both places - so I'm not sure why.

And I agree about the shift towards stock being reassuring. When I look back over the past year I've almost had the KJ wrapped in bubble wrap - just too concerned about the loads on the transmission to do anything remotely challenging. Time to get back into using it for what its been built for :)