It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KK Storage System - Thread Closed
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 pm 
LOST Addict

I am looking for a KK owner in Sydney that would be willing to let me measure up and photograph the cargo area of his/her KK for the development of a custom KK Storage System prototype. Some of you may be familiar with the KJ Storage System that I developed recently (pic below), which is now in production. Please PM me if you'd like to volunteer to showcase your KK. Not expecting any committment other than assistance with the development and final fitting.

Last edited by Glend on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Update on KK Storage
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 am 
LOST Addict

I've been contacted by two KK owners in Sydney and will be meeting up with them this coming week to have a look at the KK cargo area possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:13 am 
LOST Addict

Had a good look over a KK CRD today (Thanks to Bazza on AJOR BTW). Chrysler / Jeep certainly have made it difficult. Access to the rear cargo area floor well is required to lower the underslung spare tyre, and this means that the floor panel has to be removed to get to it. I had developed about five different concepts for a storage system that straddles the access panel, unfortunately none of these seem to be workable given the sub-woofer right side location and the jack storage compartment on the left (which has to swing out from the bottom to open). Can you see me scratching my head, I am perplexed. Any constructive ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 am 
LOST Junkie

Location: Wherever offensive avatars are found!! - Well, Brisvegas mostly...
Combine the storage unit in conjunction with a swing away tyre carrier, and you're sorted :roll:

Or a system where the whole storage compartment slides outside to reveal the floor area etc.
:wink: :wink:

GLEND Storage Unit #1
Alloys, Receiver Hitch & Treg Hitch
TJM Prototype Nudge Bar,
30L Waeco Cooler, Uniden UHF, Garmin GPS
Optima Yellow Top, 6Stacker, Night Stalker Spotties
Airflow Snorkel, 3 LOST Stickers
The Lil' HEEP
Waltzing my Matilda all over...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:54 am 
LOST Addict

Maybe the proposed storage unit could be fitted with gas struts to assist a rear hinge, which when lifted would give adequate clearance to the wheel storage. :?: Better still remove the s/wheel and mount externally on a swing away arm! :!: :?:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah that was one of my concepts. I had a hinged section in the centre that pivoted upward to allow access to the floor panel, but the panel is so wide that the drawers would have to swing up (and their carried weight), and that can vary so specifiying strut support nm was going to be out of the question - didn't want it smashing the family dog!

The hinged catamaran pedestal concept, which sits on the two sides over the tie downs, is the most likely workable solution, as the jack could then be accessed and it would allow access to the underfloor area and panel but it would raise the deck height. This one still leaves us with subwoofer blockage (and unlike the JK it cannot be moved - it is mounted inside the one piece side panel) and no access to the jack and tyre crank cubicle.

What is clear is that the eventual solution is going to be fairly complex and need a fair amount of time to sort out. I think I am going to 'Park It' for now, as I have KJ and JK units to make and can't justify more time on this right now.

Thanks for the advice - consider this thread closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Yeah,
I wonder how long it will be for a swing away spare carrier / rear bar is designed? :roll:
I think it took about 2 months for the Discovery 3!! Come on Jeep people!!! :D

Underslung spares on 4x4s are dumb in my opinion. :shock: