It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CV Boots and KJ Lifts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:30 pm 
LOST Addict

For those that are not out in the Simpson at the moment (Grrrr!), I wanted to throw up a tech question about CV boot longevity with lifted KJs. I noticed that Fouros is running a 3" lift and this is a little more than mine (which is 2.75").

I was under the KJ on the weekend and thought I would clean up around the boots to see if there was any damage (after about 8000km with my lift). There is some obvious scratching or sand scoring around the outside edges of the ribs where they come together during rotation (due to the CV angle). I wanted to ask if, or when, they are likely to fail? The serious flexing on every rotation has me concerned.

With CRDs the front diff is slightly lowered and shifted left (compared to the petrol models - due to depth of diesel engine necessitating the slight relocation of the diff). This means that CRD left side CV angles will be slightly steeper than the petrol versions) - but then again I guess dropping the diff downward slightly may offset that left shift as the angle will shallow by dropping it down.

I don't have any problems with clevis clearance of the boots at full droop (thanks mostly to still running the stock struts and using them as limiters I suppose). So there is no risk of ripping a boot with the clevis.

So has anyone had any problems with CV boot failure that can be attributed to their lift? What is the fix (stay at or below 50mm)? I must admit I have contemplated going down to a 50mm lift to try to eliminate a very slight driveline vibration problem under some conditions when towing. I plan to do a Cape trip next winter and I want to be sure that my setup will survive that trip.

??

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:24 am 
LOST Addict

No Glen, I have a good 4 inches of lift for over 60k and whilst Yes, you can see wear, no problems so far with the boot failing. I had a boot replaced for Team JaG on one of his shafts, I went to Drivelive services and they put on a Hi-temp Silicon boot for him, and there has been no wear on that either as far as I'm aware. It was 90.00 for them to do the job, I think Greg was quoted 330.00 just for the boot from Jeep... :shock:

I suppose it also depends on what you are driving on as well, maybe mud and sand combined then it drying there then the rotational rubbing could certainly wear them faster. I think a little preventitive maintenence on them, like keeping them clean, is a good start to longevity.

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:36 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks Chris, you've eased my mind. I'll just make the cleaning part of my normal maintenance routine.

At some point I'll probably get one of the JBA's CRD shaved CV axles for that left (short) side (then refurb & keep the original as a spare).