It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Petition to ban 4wds from Queensland inner city and schools
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
The following petition (with just under 20,000 signatures) was tabled in Qld State Parliament yesterday by the Shadow Minister for Transport, Fiona Simpson, MP for Maroochydore.

"TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland

The petition of the citizens and residents of the State of Queensland draws to the attention of the House their concerns at the negative environmental impacts and effects of the excessive amount of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the use of four-wheel drive vehicles. A four-wheel drive vehicle uses almost double the amount of fuel, emits 17 times the amount of air pollution and three times the greenhouse gases of a two-wheel drive vehicle. They pose a health risk to residents in city areas as well as making an unacceptable negative impact on the environment in a world facing the threat of climate change and severe oil shortages. These vehicles are also a physical danger to pedestrians and smaller vehicles in the event of collision.

Your petitioners therefore request that the House undertakes:

• charges incorporated into vehicle registration based on a pollution rating and the weight of the vehicles (essential uses and farm vehicles could be exempt)
• banning of four-wheel drive vehicles from school pick up zones and intercity/shopping areas. "

I have sent the following email to Ms Simpson.

"Dear Ms Simpson,

I read with amusement the petition that you presented to Parliament yesterday, asking to ban 4wds from school zones and innercity/shopping areas. I would love to know where the statistics in the petition came from, as my diesel Jeep is rated (on the Australian Government website) as having the same greenhouse emissions as a Holden Commodore. Certainly the air pollution is rated higher, but nowhere near the 17 times mentioned - presumably the drafter took the very worst 4wd he/she could find and compared it to the very best 2wd. And certainly my Jeep does not use "almost double" the amount of fuel - being a diesel it actually uses less.

The main problem with any petitions of this sort is that they assume that all 4wds are large smelly vehicles driven by inconsiderate people which is far from the truth. Proper off-road 4wds (those with a low range transfer case) range in size from Landcruisers to Suzuki Jimnys, then you have the "soft roaders" such as Rav 4s, Honda CRV, etc, work vehicles like Hiluxs, down to AWD vehicles such as Subarus. Where do you draw the line regarding what you want to ban? If pollution and fuel use is your criteria, are you also going to ban all the delivery trucks from innercity and shopping areas? If size is the concern are you going to ban all people movers such as Taragos?

I shall follow the journey of this petition with interest. I don't expect it to go much further, but in the unlikely event that it does I shall do everything I can to ensure its defeat.

Regards"

If I get a reply I shall let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

its absolutley ridiculous, must be a slow week in parliment eh pipes

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject: petition
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 am 
LOST Member

Hi all,
It must be a slow week in the world of Qld politics if this pollie can dream up this rubbish with no thought and sense about hte topic in question.
Just a thought maybe she should give up her double parked government car that has high fuel useage because of waiting around for her to finish her drivel.
Cheers Gi Frog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:52 am 
LOST Addict

Interesting bit of un-informed or ill- informed nonsense...........Pipes your response is well articulated. I am so amazed that Pollies do not have any more important issues that need their attention than this sort of cr... :roll: :!: It will be interesting to see if you DO get a reply. :roll:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper