It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOST at Jambo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

At the SJC meeting tonight (thanks to our friends at MJOC) the brochures and stickers were passed out for Jambo 2010. This prompted some discussion about tack on high country sidetracks. We're going to do some research on whether the high country tracks will be open by the first week in October (particularly the Barry Way from NSW into Victoria).

Dave G has also talked up a possible Tumut NSW Pre-Jambo rendezous.

Gi-frog is indicating he is aiming at Jambo. I'll be there, as will Dave G, and many others from SJC. Can we get a show of hands from LOST members considering Jambo?
So looks like a definite three KJs from Sydney.

Last edited by Glend on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LOST at Jambo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:21 am 
LOST Member

We are intending to go, taking the WH though,will be leaving central QLD early September.

Post subject: Re: LOST Campsite at Jambo
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 am 
LOST Addict

Just been reading through all the AJOR stuff dealing with Jambo. Apparently they are setting aside group camping locations for clubs, or even groups of friends that wish to camp together -- how they are going to manage all that is something of a mystery.

Anyway here is a link to Fletch's response to me on how groups request this and identify themselves in the registration process:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=95469

So Fletch had said:

"If you are in a Jeep club or are coming with friends you can specify a specific camping space so you can all be together. There will be a seperate 'family quiet' camping area and a designated area for the 'others' (loud)."

and I had asked; "So given what you have said above, exactly how do a diverse group of friends (who are not 'Club' members specify a camping space or identify themselves as needing one in the registration processs? I have been through all the application form and other info on the website and can find no mention of how this is done."

So Fletch then came back and advised:

"No problem in both the above cases - let us know how many in the group and what name you want to call the group/area and we can arrange that. You can contact info@jeepjamboree.com.au with all the details and we will lock it in. We already have had requests from some interstate clubs.
It's All Good! "

So if we want to get a LOST Camping group camping location organised in advance this seems to be the way to handle it. I can't get a handle on how they are going to manage people just plonking themselves down in a nice spot to then find they are right next to Oz Krawlers, the Core Crew, and the dust till dawn party.

Anyone interested in climbing into this level of organisation and certainty or shall we see what happens when we get there?

Personally the farther from that lot the better. Maybe there is a old folks area! :BINGO:

Post subject: Re: LOST Campsite at Jambo
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:25 am 
LOST Addict

Glend wrote:
Personally the farther from that lot the better. Maybe there is a old folks area! :BINGO:

Glen :CAMPING: ..........then 2k's :arrow: this way :BANANA: :rockon: :furious: :pepper: :BANANA: :dizzy: :furious: :rockon: :5SHOTS: :BANANA: :rockon: :dizzy: & a bit more of this :5SHOTS: probably a little of this :JEEPIN: then more of this :5SHOTS: :rockon: :furious: :dizzy: :furious: .

Can't understand why you don't want to not be near that Glen :D

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

That's a very good pictorial Chris! At Jambo 2008 some of the Core Crew guys had an electric blue lounge suite and an Arabic Water Pipe set up in front of their campfire. Can't wait to see what they front up with this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Glend wrote:
That's a very good pictorial Chris! At Jambo 2008 some of the Core Crew guys had an electric blue lounge suite and an Arabic Water Pipe set up in front of their campfire. Can't wait to see what they front up with this time.

Yes, I remember you telling me about it.... better luck this time round.

Lifted by CRDSTU
265/70/16 STT's on 16x8 Chrome Soft 8's
CDKJ

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:58 am 
LOST Addict

Be aware that there is currently some concern (on AJOR) about the Jambo trip requirement that anyone going on any trip above "E" grade must have MJOC or FWDVIC Training (or equivalent).

UPDATE: Fletch has now confirmed that training is Not required. The risk is put back on the driver as always.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Gi-frog and I were discussing Jambo trip arrangements yesterday. I'm probably not going to be able to leave Sydney until Thursday morning. I believe the SJC convoy maybe going on Wednesday. Gi-frog is heading off down the coast road a few days earlier. Dave will probably go with SJC.

Jenko you going to have that front diff fixed by then?

BTW given the pounding that the KJ has taken on the Desert Trip I am hoping to take it easy on this one - I'm sick of flushing out mud.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:58 pm 
LOST Member

We are not going now :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm 
LOST Addict

G'ME MUD wrote:
We are not going now :cry:

Oh No's..... Whats occured???

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Gi-frog have a safe trip down the Great Ocean Road, wish I could go that way. I'll see you at the SJC campsite.

:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 am 
LOST Addict

Stay safe guys........and have a great time for us 8) :JEEPIN:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:34 am 
LOST Member

have a good time at Jambo, safe travells and safe trail runs to all attending.

Post subject: Re: LOST back from Jambo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

I have returned from Jambo! Lots of stories but I'm too tired right now. Soon. Must sleep first.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:40 am 
LOST Addict

Cant wait to hear some stories and see the pics Glen.. Hope you had a good time, and no damage was done..

And

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:15 pm 
LOST Addict

No damage to any of the KJs from what I hear. Others were not so lucky, a fair number defected on the way down by the NSW and VIC police - they arrived in camp sporting defect notices plastered on the windscreen. The usual defect stuff: no splash/mudguards, tyres too wide for guard coverage, etc.

As far as trip damage was concerned, SJC had a few vehicles damaged and two are still down there awaiting work/parts to return: blown fuel pump and a rear diff seal.

Now for a quick trip report!

Thursday - headed out on my own at 4:30am intending to drive straight through to Warragul and arrive before dark for camp setup. Was getting 12.4L/100kms towing the camper through the southern ranges. Picked up a bad batch of fuel at the Caltex at Tarcutta (avoid that one if you can, it must have been blended with something awefull) the fuel economy dropped into the high 13s and the exhaust gas temperatures went up by 200F! Refueled at Seymour to flush out the bad fuel and got into Jambo at 4:30pm. Rest of the day spent touring the very big camp at Lardner Park, setting up, prepping the vehicle for offroad, and catching up with old friends from previous events.

Friday - Not knowing how MJOC graded their trips (even though they provided a sheet these things are subjective mostly), I opted for a 'C' grade morning trip (also known as the Blue Square - like the ski run designations): suitable for medium clearance vehicles with AT tyres, etc. I thought this would not be too taxing for the first day - boy was I wrong. Of course the amount of rain they have had down there had turned every track into a series of deep mud ruts linking bog holes! We had nine vehicles in the convoy: two Grands, a KK, and XJ, my KJ, and the rest were Wranglers (mostly modified ones). The trip started out with airing down to 20psi and then some steep climbs and water crossings into the State Forest north of Warragul. Soon we were into the mud ruts (likely cut by people with 35"tyres spinning through there). The Grands didn't have the clearance or the tyres to cope with these conditions and we were constantly recovering them from the ruts and bog holes. We had a camera car along for this trip and it was all filmed in HD for showing that evening in the big hall. Andrew the camera man would go ahead in his modified Wrangler and setup at each obstacle to film us trying to get through. In many places we needed spotters to keep us out of the deep ruts and push the vehicles around in the mud to prevent sliding into dangerous situations. I was up on three and then two wheels on several occassions, and could feel the traction control working all day long. Mostly this was low range stuff because of the steepness of the tracks, so brake locked diff functions were still on, and there is some camera footage of this working. The highlight of the day for me was being able to get through a steep rutted descent, creek crossing and muddy rutted ascent on the other side when all of the other IFS vehicles had to be winched out of the creek. I climbed a tree with the KJ getting out of there! Won a prize at the evening presentation for that effort. I'll try to get you a link to the video when Andrew gets it up on Utube. Consensus was that this was a B grade trip in most other worlds having been made worse by the water/mud. BTW this trip returned to camp around two hours late and with only a third of the planned tracks covered.

Below: one of the early easy bog holes on this trip, which got much more serious later on.

The evening was spent at the trip film showing and chatting around the campfire.

Saturday - After yesterday's trip, and knowing now how MJOC graded trips and the water and mud expected, I opted to do a nice lazy 'D' grade trip - boy was I wrong about that one. The convoy out to the mountains southeast of Warragul consisted of two KJs (gi-frog and I), a FSJ, several Grands, and the rest being Wranglers. The trip leader was a young guy in his Wrangler Unlimted CRD backed up by a tailend charlie in a Grand (with a chainsaw). Into the very scenic mountains, working up fire trail roads onto tracks that were very narrow cuts on the side of the mountain with steep dropoffs. These tracks were wet clay, boggy in many places and steep. We started getting people bogged again, the FSJ didnt have low range and it had a big low bull bar so we recovered it a few times. We were stopped by a 30cm tree across the track (recent landslip as well) and out came the chain saw. It took the guy a half an hour to get through that log - the OH&S people would have had kittens if they had seen him - no safety glasses, one glove, dull blade binding every few minutes etc.. Forward at last we came across anther deeper bog hole, which the fornt half of the convoy got through and then were stopped further on by another downed tree - I was in the front section. The FSJ was bogged badly so the trip leader went back down to help get him out. On descending the track to the bog the leader ran over some small downed trees and ripped out his fuel return line at the fuel filter - I saw it all happen because I was walking back to help the recovery. It was exactly what happened to my son's JK Unlimted CRD up at Byfield. There was fuel gushing out and the leaders JK was now disabled in the middle of the steep narrow slippery track with half the group ahead and half behind him. We got to work on it trying to jury rig a fix but unless you carry a fittng from Enzed or Pirtek your just wasting your time as no amount of rescue tape can cope with the line pressure. Then the arguments started as the tail-end charlie tried to assume command. He wanted to release the handbrake in the JK and let it roll down to clear the track for the rest of us to regroup - the problem of course is that the JK CRD would have little braking and steering because it would not start. We got onto the MJOC office and I tried to convince them to get a T piece off of one of the Jeep demonstrator vehicles in the Hall but Jeep would not allow this. So we had to abandon the JK CRD out there as it was getting dark and no RACV rescue was possible in that terrain. Gi-frog pulled out his hand winch (a lack of winches on this trip was a big problem) and we rigged it up off a large tree and then winched the disabled vehicle down the track (pulling on the steering wheel to steer it into the bank). We finally got enough room to get the other vehicles past. Gi-frog picked up a leach for his trouble! Another argument about going forward or back - tail end charlie (with trip leader now in his vehicle) wanted to go ahead to get out and I wanted to return the way we came as it was cleared and we knew nothing about what was ahead and it was getting dark. I had Oziexplorer working on my Navman and it was the only moving map system on the trip, the trip leader had a photo copy of the state forest map. To cut a long story short, we proceeded ahead after all it is the MJOC responsbility to get us back. A few hundred meters further we were stopped by a long deep bog hole that no one was going to get through and common sense prevailed. We all had to back down the steep narrow track to a small turnign point and then retrace our path out to the firetrails. We arrived back in camp at 5:30pm (just before the big presentation dinner). The leaders JK CRD left out there for future recovery (good luck on that). SO that was the easy trip! The 'B' grade trip on that day returned very late and the SJC guys on that one just made it back before we ate their dinner for them!

That night at the dinner, MJOC and the trip leader bought gi-frog and I some drinks in thanks for our efforts to move the JK safely out of the way and secure it for the night.

Had a nice meal that night and caught up with CRDSTU, who had just arrived that morning to pick up his new Wrangler (Patriot Blue) at a Melbourne dealer. Stu flew down and stayed at a motel in Warragul. Sounds like his new business expansion is going great with a new workshop being built on his acreage.

Later on Saturday night SJC retired to its campfire and someone picked up some pizzas for a second dinner with drinks and we retired around 2:30am!

Sunday - This was Show and Shine morning (no trips until the afternoon). We all lined up on the hillside (nothing is flat at Lardner Park - my quads are like mountain goat's now). Somehow I got the job of being one of the judges in the JK Unlimited Extreme 35"+ tyre category. There weren't many of them, ten in total, but they were all very nice machines. I don't know alot about them but that didn't seem to matter to the organisers, so I did my best.

They divided the KJs into two categories: stock and modified. They judged the stock KJs first and then I had to leave to judge the JKs so I don't know if they ever did the modified KJs. Gi-frog tells me they did come around but most of my mods can't be easily seen (and the engine compartment is locked when the KJ is locked). Not that I cared at that point.

Some people went on trips Sunday avo but I had had enough at that point and wanted to prep for the trip home. SJC was packing up, and some went out to recover Hunno's vehicle which blew its fuel pump the day before. I left the site about 2pm and headed back up the Hume. Stopped that night at ALbury with some of the SJC people and returned the rest of the way on Monday.

All in all a great experience and I enjoyed the offroading in a very different sort of location and set of conditions from what we see around Sydney. The mud, while in good supply everywhere, was no where near as daunting as the many kilometres of tracks coming out of Innaminkca in July with no depth reference and no trip leader to follow. That's my mud reference scale from now on.

From a fuel economy perspective I was getting 12.4L/100kms towing the camper on the way down. The strong head winds on the return trip dropped that back into the 13Ls. There was one leg on the way down from Seymour to Warragul where I managed to get 9.2L/100kms but that was all very flat to downhill from Seymour on good freeways without stopping - but still excellent figures for towing or otherwise.

I will keep an eye out for the 'C' grade trip HD film link and add it to this when it is available.

As far as still photos are concerned, I only have a few as I was too busy driving or recovering when out on the tracks and I just plain forgot about the camera. Hopefully gi-frog has some.

I'm now dreaming of MOAB wheels and a set of muddies.

Finally, there are not many chances to walk the deck of a submarine.

The Otway at its permanent mooring in Holbrook NSW.

:JEEPIN:

Last edited by Glend on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Great Report Glen.... Pleased you came home safe and sound with some good stories to tell. Sounds very similar to Camp Coff's annual adventures. :)

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

Last edited by Team J.a.G on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the report Glen, Glad you made it home safely without any major drama's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:22 am 
LOST Addict

Sounds Fun and Annoying... Both at the same time :-)r

Beware that Mod virius you seem to have caught, Mudders are the mortal of economy.. :ROTFL:

And

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,
:SOMBRERO: :SOMBRERO: My jamboree trip started tuesday(28/9) around 11.00am traveling down heathcote rd joining the princes hwy heading south. Stop @ Ulladulla for lunch about 3.30pm continue down the princes hwy (the ocean road) towards far south coast heading for Eden. Arrived @ Eden about 7.00pm stopped at the east boyd state forest for the night :ALONE: .travel time 6hrs 475km
Wednesday (29/9)
Early start about 5.45am Only 457kms to jambo, back on the princes hwy traveled about 1500m the top turbo hose popped off :furious: pulled over rejoin the hose continue on traveled another hour stop for breakfast. Cross the border about 8.00am refueled @ Cann river follow the princes hwy all the way to the freeway heading to jambo site arrived about 2.00pm pick my spot and set up my swag out of the rain settled in to watch the jamboree site fill up with every shape and size jeep and camper trailer and caravan .
Thursday (30/9)
Start of jamboree gates open 7.00am
First trip booked for me was the jeep 101 which consist of basic 4wd theory about 90 mins then go play on the test track .
Eight vehicles on the course
1x Kj mine
1 x Kj (transmisson problem)
1 x Commander
2 x Xj's
1 x Jk short on 35's
1 x Jk (4) sports 35's
1 x Jk (4) unlimited standard
Out of the seven vehicles playing on the test track I was placed third in line behind the two Jk's running 35's .
The first run through the track was done on road pressure low range the jk with the 35's chew up every thing bit of side ways movement from all vehicles.
Second run with air down tyres this time was very interesting one jk's with 35's on stalled going through the mud pit recovered itself and kept going around only to have one of the Xj's slip and slide straight into fence and get hooked up with his rear tyre first recovery lession.
After recovering the Xj we played in the test track for about 2hrs with no other problems acurred. Out of all vehicles doing jeep101 with me ,mine was the only one that went through without misshap and the muddest
The test track was part of a bigger track which included obstacle and gymkhama course done some of the obstacles when open to everyone.
Opt out for the night drive lucky I did, for they started @ 7.00pm and got back to camp in the wee hours of the morning 2.45am. They where due back @ 10.30pm
Friday 1/10
I was booked for the all day trip set down for 9.30am rated D/C great trip heading up into the vic high country total distance approx 240kms 1/3 off road arrived back at camp about 5.30pm had dinner and socialised with Glen and others with big Bubba cup (just like yours 2 jeeps, my bubba is red).
Saturday 2/10
First on the agenda for saturday was the show and shine where both Glen and I entered after the judging of the Kj's we told there 2 classes of Kj judging because of our Kj's were modified we would be in that class still waiting to find out who won modified class.
As Glen said we whent out :JEEPIN: for D rated trip :lol: :lol: with a total of 12 vehicles.
I would rate it C / C+
3 X Kj's crd Glen, mine, Col (Wooder's dad, Col's Kj is standard with road tyres)
1 X FSJ
2 X GC
rest where made up with Tj and Jk's
Total trip lenght was to be approx 50km around 2hrs-2.30hrs
Actual trip lenght 23km 4 u turns 12.3km off road arrived back @ camp 5.30pm not bad for a 2hr trip.
Dinner was made easier with with a full bubba that was refilled twice from the mjoc trip leader as a thank you for recovery of his JK.
I won a jeep superchips flashpaq in the monster raffle.
Sunday 3/10
Packed up and left about 12.45pm heading for Canberra as planed, to stay overnight there so I can visit the war memorial monday left Canberra around 3.40pm heading north for home arrived home 6.50pm very very tired but well satisfied with performance of the Kj.
Total trip:
7 days
2167 kms round trip
319 kms off road
lowest economical fuel reached 7.2/100km tucked behind a B-double heading north Hume hwy. :BANANA:
P.S Sorry no pictures too busy driving and recovering broken Jk's .
cheers
James
gi frog