It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Maps to use with Oziexplorer?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Gents I have managed to unlock my Navman GPS and loaded in OziexplorerCE which now allows me to choose either application from the touch screen. I have added a large SD card to the Navman and now I need to get the necessary offroad maps loaded up. Question is what software maps are best to use?

I'll be using the Navman for normal onroad touring type travel, but say in the Simpson I'd probably want to switch over to Oziexplorer and the Hema Desert Map Set.

What do you use?

Post subject: Re: What Maps to use with Oziexplorer?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Pipes is "THE MAN" on this stuff Glen.

He'll know for sure.

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

Post subject: Re: What Maps to use with Oziexplorer?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
I have the Auslig NatMaps 250,000:1 mosaic loaded on my GPS and use that most of the time. I also have the Hema series which I use when they are in range.

Then, for specific events (Camp Coffs, for example) I download the best maps I can find (for camp Coffs I stitched together a mosaic of screen prints downloaded from the Terrain function of Google Maps) and calibrated it using identifiable points for which I could get the coordinates from other maps (e.g. road junctions).

This one from some maps of Mt Mee that Cmohr printed out

If you have sufficient calibration points then OziExplorer "Load and Calibrate Map" function can produce a map from any bitmap picture. On the first and last picture the coloured lines are the actual tracks from OziExplorerCE overlaid on the maps - you can see that the calibration was slightly better for Mt Mee than it was for Coffs.