It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auxiliary Battery System - not where you thought.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 am 
LOST Addict

Since I can't take my camper to the Simpson I need an auxiliary battery for the kJ to power the fridge, camp lighting, etc. To keep it simple I designed a standalone system (independent of the KJ start battery) which will be charged via my Cetek when power is available every couple of days. It could also be charged via a solar panel and regulator but I didn't want to carry that stuff with me (keeping the wieght down).

I built a battery box to sit in the rear passenger side footwell (as low in the kj as I could get the weight). This space is normally wasted in my camping configuration (with the seats down). Here is the battery box,

the base is the same size as the carpet mat so the mat comes out and it fits in nicely. The saddles are used to tie the box down to the seat frame in the front and back so it's never going anywhere. The black bracket is the holder for a fire extinguisher.

Inside the battery box is my 55amp/hr gel battery (which I picked up second hand (only one year old and hardly used) from a SJC member).

When the rear seat is folded down and the passenger seat in its normal pushed back position the box just clears everything.

The battery is fused in the box, and feeds a rear mounted distribution panel attached to the cargo barrier. I have a double adaptor if required.

The fridge sits just below and to the left of the outlet. During normal daytime running the fridge will be powered by the KJ rear powerpoint on that right side (or by my Jumpstart pack which can be charged by the KJ on the go). At night the auxiliary battery will run the fridge and the camp lighting. I can also recharge my LED worklight from the auxiliary battery if required.

Why not just lay it on its side and stick it on top of my storage unit? I wanted to keep that area free for all the other stuff I am carrying: food box, stove, etc and since I have a roof load I wanted to get the weight down as low as possible to try an offset the centre of gravity shift.

After the Desert Trip the battery will move into the camper (there's a empty dinette seat box ready for it), until the next trip where the camper can't go.

Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Battery System - not where you thought.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:00 am 
LOST Newbie

what do yousleep in when your not using the camper? tent? jeep?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

About 10 days ago I had a dual battery system installed (sorry no pics yet). Sitting on a 3mm custom shaped checker plate (which covers both the battery & transfer case) the 110ah deep cycle gel battery is located in the space behind the transfer case. It is charged whilst car is running and disconnects when ignition is turned off, so there is never a risk of a drain on the main crank battery. A 12v power plug connection with an operation warning light is installed in the LHS wall of the cargo bay for easy fridge and/or accessory connection.

To date battery sits well travelling around town and up & down the hwy. The big test will be our up coming return trip across the Savannah Way to the Kimberlys.

Battery company rep has assured me that submersion through water crossing creeks or mud & dust will not be a problem to the sealed unit.

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Greg I'll be very interested in your Savanah Way experience with that installation. Can't get that weight much lower on the KJ, but the water will be interesting. How did you waterproof the terminal connections?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:51 am 
LOST Addict

Here finally are some pics to show how & where the 2nd battery for fridge/s has been located.
This travelled through the Savanah Way, Kimberly & Tanimi Track without missing a beat. Supply none stop power to 1 x 32ltre freezer & 1 x Waeco 40ltre Fridge. It has with stood countless corrugations, creek crossings, rocks, sand and dirt. Very Pleased :BANANA:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, two options for a second battery. Nice work. I like the backseat battery, since I only need it every so often. I think it would be complete if it was fully integrated into the charging system.

Need some sort of harness with high current connector to plug it all into when needed.