It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TCM may not be owner servicable in RHD KJ CRDs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:49 am 
LOST Addict

I got stuck into trying to work out a way to remove my TCM today in preparation for the GDE TCM exchange. Long story made short, the TCM is nigh impossible to remove (at least for me). Its mounted high up on the passenger side firewall (in RHD models) just behind the AC canister. It is bracket mounted and the bracket it bolted to the firewall in three places (on my KJ two of these are blocked by ABS hardlines. The AC canister cannot be moved much even if the mounting cradle is loosened off, as the hoses have no real slack or flex in them. The TCM is bolted to the bracket from the rear and there is no way to get to those bolts unless the entire assembly is removed, which would involve removing the AC canister completely (and thus degassing the AC system). So the TCM exchange program in RHD markets is probably not going to get very far unless GDE can come up with a way to flash the TCM in situ (the cable connector can be removed and a flash unit cable attached). I have alerted GDE to the problem for RHD models and sent them photos. I am hoping they can develop a flasher that they can send out, but since the late model KJs use a hybrid bus and the TCM is apparently not flashable from the OBDII plug, some development is required for a solution.

Here is a link to some photos:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=98350

So, for now, I have cancelled my order for a TCM tune with the exchange TCM (as I can't remove the old one), and will wait for them to advise a solution.

P***** Off to say the least. :furious:

Post subject: Re: TCM Flash in RHD KJ CRDs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 am 
LOST Addict

Well GDE, to their credit, has gotten straight back to me. They have agreed that for RHD models the TCM flash will have to happen through the OBD port (which apparently they can do). I will wait till they have their local distributor up and running and then try again with a port load.