It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stereo speakers help please
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:51 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,
I am starting to get static feedback through my drivers side front door speaker and right dash tweeter .
Question 1 what size and brand are the door speakers and tweeter speakers please?
Question 2 How easy are they to replace and remove from the doors and dash?
Question 3 Has anyone replaced their factory door and tweeter speakers if so which brand did you go for and what size do you chose ?
Cheers
James
gi frog

Post subject: Re: stereo speakers help please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:26 am 
LOST Addict

James, here is how you get to them (from the Service Manual):

REMOVAL
FRONT DOOR
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the front door trim panel (Refer to 23 -
BODY/DOOR - FRONT/TRIM PANEL - REMOVAL).
3. Remove the speaker mounting fasteners.
4. Remove the speaker (1) from the door and disconnect
the wire harness connector.
INSTRUMENT PANEL
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the A-pillar trim (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/
A-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL).
3. Remove instrument panel top cover (Refer to 23 -
BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT
PANEL TOP COVER - REMOVAL).
4. Remove speaker mounting fasteners.
5. Remove speaker (1) and disconnect the wire harness
connector.

Now I believe that there were two different types used depending on whether you had the standard or premium sound system. Here is the description from the Service Manual:

DESCRIPTION
STANDARD
The standard equipment speaker system includes speakers in six locations. One 6.4 centimeter (2.50 inch) diameter
speaker is installed on each end of the instrument panel top pad. One 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) full-range speaker
is located in each front door. There is also one full-range 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) diameter full-range speaker
located in each rear door.
PREMIUM
The optional premium speaker system features six Premium model speakers in six locations. Each of the standard
speakers is replaced with Premium model speakers. One 6.4 centimeter (2.50 inch) diameter speaker is installed on
each end of the instrument panel top pad. One 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) Premium woofer is located in each front
door. There is also one full-range 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) diameter Premium full-range speaker located in each
rear door. The premium speaker system also includes a power amplifier mounted to each front door speaker. The
total available power of the premium speaker system is about 160 watts.

There is a diagnostic section in the Manual as well, but since you have problems in two different speakers on the one side the cause maybe back at the head unit connector or the head unit itself. The speaker diagnostic stuff in the manual refers to the water shield coming loose and touching the speaker (door one) but this does not explain the instrument panel speaker also acting this way (which is why I suggest the head unit connection). Don't know what else to say about it right now.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:48 am 
LOST Member

Hi James, here is a few pictures of the inside of my door trims to give you an idea

to get the door trim off you need to undo 2 or 3 screws (sorry I forgoten) one is behind the door handle,
has a cover over it, and there is 1 in door handle in the bottom of the on top recess (if that makes sense)
then there are several clips around the trim, just start at a bottom corner and work your way around popping one out
at a time, now it is best to have window up but harder get up. The trim should feel loose when you have all the clips out,
then you will have to lift it directly up but don't pull it away as you will have wiring to unclip, the switches stay with the door trim.
Now for the speakers, as you can see I have Kenwood 6.5 in splits but I didn't use the tweeters as looks like to much work
and i also used most of the factory wiring. I have a built in amp and crossover so I detatched it from the
speaker (hammer became very handy) and then mounted it to the door and extended the wiring to suit.
Something also to note is that these speaker may be 6.5in but the mounts in the door is well over 7inch so I
used some 6mm wood to make a bracket/spacer (all still fits easily behind the door trim) It was a bit of a job
but the sound quality is worth it, keep in mind it just makes clearer not louder. The problem with the orginal speaker is
that the cone and foam surround sperates from the frame, apart from that they are still good speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,
Thank you Glen and Jason for the information it will just have to wait until holidays to have a look before jambo. Hopeful it is only the door speaker . Is the speaker and amp all in one or separate ?
thanks
James

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:20 am 
LOST Member

G'day Frog, how did you get on with those speakers.Had a problem with mine(buzzing noise,to much base) and i pulled it out and re-glued it(thanks to the guy over on LOST in Tech) works a treat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:56 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,
G'day Nobby,
Haven't done anything expect look at it as yet been busy planing to go jambo, recoving for a pinch nerve and going back to work,haven't had much time lately at all as I 'm on early morning shift 2.00am starts.
james