It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The AJOR site cloning mess.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

If you have been on AJOR recently you'll be aware that it has been 'harvested' by a group of people trying to establish an alternative site without moderation rules. If you have posted on AJOR your content, username and profile are now sitting on the other site. Please take the time to read JimmyB's announcement on this at the top of the Forum, and the discussion on how to get your details and content contributions removed from the new site. Ultimately this becomes a threat to AJORs viability as once they have the users and content they will go after his advertisers as well.

I have had my own issues with AJOR clowns over the years but to Jimmy's credit he (and us Mods) have been trying to clean it up and it has been better lately.

I have noticed that LOST does not seem to use a copyright line in each post template, I have thought that something like that could prevent harvesting without permission (or at least create a more legal remedy).

Any of you guys in the publishing game have a comment on protecting content and identity theft?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: The AJOR site cloning mess.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:06 pm 
LOST Addict

So is any of our KJ section over there Glen??? I think it would be considered Internet fraud if somebody other than yourself set up an account in your name with your contact details, and placed your statements on their website with the expressed intent to defraud others into think you had actually made these statements willingly on their website. And certainly if you have no access to the accout and somebody else can possiblly make statements in your name without your expressed permission is Idendity theft, something I would think the Australia Federal Guys would see as not very legal.This also brings into question Paying Advertisers, If Advertisers came to the Forum believing that they are "Advertising" to memebers that do dont actually exist on that site they would have more than enough grounds for a case. Maybe something they didnt think about when they started, but certainly something that has been defrauded out of Advertising dollars will not take lightly..

If infact they have have say.... Google ad banners they will have signed an advertising contract with Google, google would have made their decission to advertise on their site based on internet activity and also member base of the forum.. if 90% of their forum members where actually ghost accounts placed on the forum to deliberately mislead a person or company into the belief that they where advertising to a percieved audience.............. and if they had, if they now removed said ghost members the contract would still have been made under fraudulent circumstances.

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 pm 
LOST Addict

They do have a KJ section over there but when I looked just now there was only one post in there. Look here if you want to see for yourself:

http://www.ausjeepforum.com/forums/14-KJ-Cherokees

They did email me to advise that they had removed my username, profile, and my posts, so I will need to check back through there when things settle down abit. I get the impression that they are somewhat under seige at the moment with AJOR members demanding deleting of their posts, names, profiles, etc.. KJ stuff maybe hidden in another more general forum but I will try to find out.

I just did a few Google searches for topics/word combos that I know would be in any harvesting of KJ topics and all that shows up is AJOR and LOST content. However, I don't think Google knows they are there yet. They obviously haven't done any work on getting their meta tags setup and optimised the site for search. They may also be hiding the content in an archive on their old site, hard to tell where it went.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:34 pm 
LOST Addict

I just popped over to it, echo echo echo echo...

Hmm. ads by Google, maybe Jimmy should let Google that they may have been subject to an internet scam. Selling ad space on a forum with ghost memberships...

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"