It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Divorce
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Well after thirty years of marriage, and two adult kids, my wife and I have decided to pull stumps and move on with our respective lives. This has been on the cards for a long time. Unfortunately this also means dealing through lawyers (so we're now making two in Sydney even richer). This likely means that I will be moving somewhere - as the cost of housing in Sydney has changed alot in thirty years and I simply don't need this big house any more.

I won't be living in a cardboard box (I hope) as we both have assets built up over the years, but I don't know where I will end up. I'd like to stay involved with SJC but that would mean staying fairly close to Sydney and the budget may not permit that. Maybe I'll just hook up the camper and join the rest of the grey nomads on their circuit and worry about a new home when I find a place I like down the road.

So who has been there and done that - I'd appreciate any advice from those that have the experience behind them?

and finally, I am not at all depressed about this development, it is actually a relief and I will be glad to put the drama of recent years behind me.

Of course I am keeping the KJ (and the Dog)!

:JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: Divorce
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Mate thats no good, strange the paths life takes you, never really what you set out for. Myself, never married, but did yrs ago split from a long term relationship, I managed to keep the house, still have it, but its always a hard slog. If you canfind somewhere before you set off, just to give you a "Home Base" so to speak, always a good thing in unsettling times. Its a big change of life, even if its as you say a relief, as I can well understand. I have no real words of wisdow or anything, I just hope the "settlement" goes as smoothly as possible for you both.

Brisbanes a nice little town :wink:

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mate,
Hope all goes smoothly for you!
Hitch up the camper and run, I cant speak from experience, but thats what I'd want to do!
And I agree, Brisbanes a great place!

Rossow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Sorry to hear your news Glen. I concure with CMOHR & Rossow's sentiments and I'm sure all of your friends on LOST & AJOR etc wish you well for the future. Where ever you end up hanging your hat just remember the Gold Coast is not that bad a place either to have a base camp. :SOMBRERO:
Good Luck & keep-on :JEEPIN: :CAMPING:

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:04 am 
LOST Member

Hi All,
Sorry to hear the news of your pending divorce Glen we hope it all goes well for you and wish you the best in the future and if we can help out in any way please give us a call.
James and Lyn
Mr & Mrs Gi frog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do you know why a devoice cost so much?

wait for it…

Because it's worth it!
:pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :goink: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
Glen, I won't say sorry or commiserate because by the sound of it this is just the culmination of something that's been happening for some time, and is a mutual decision between the two of you.

There is no need to get the lawyers involved expensively unless you are arguing about the way your assets need to be split up. My (first) wife and I divorced in 1990 by mutual consent without any lawyer involvement - this was in SA. The only requirement was that one of us (wife, because she had more spare time) had to attend a course on DIY divorces which was organised by the Family Court, then we filled in the paperwork and filed it with the court, then on the appointed day we both attended court, the judge asked if we were both in agreement about the details (which included the custody of our daughters who were about 13 and 11) and when we both said yes that was the end of the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah Pipes it can be easy and the asset division (and contribution) assumptions are fairly clear in long marriages such as this one. However, sadly in this case there are circumstances, that I can't go in to here, that mean I have to have a lawyer looking after my interest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:26 am 
LOST Member

Sorry to hear Glen, now may be time to take a long trip and explore Queensland. The only
problem is you won't want to leave. Bundaberg is nice place to set up stumps and to keep you
busy we could set up the Wide Bay Jeepers club or you could just drop in for a visit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Starting to turn my mind to the future. The SJC Cape Trip next year is a definite and I will be doing some mods for that (assuming I can afford it) - see the AJOR post I put up asking for suggestions about equipping a kJ for the OTL. I may actually be up your way before Christmas! My son wants me to come up to stay with him at Dysart for awhile. The sensible route is up the Mitchell Highway through Burke, Cunnamulla, etc ( a road I know well after the Desert Trip) and avoid the coast highway and its cities, towns, construction zones, trucks, etc. but the coast does have some attractions. Thanks