It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Wheels - Teaser Pics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Well after months of research and a failed attempt to buy some second hand MOABs here in Oz, I finally went ahead and bought my new rims. I have privately imported a complete set of 16 x8 (5" BS) Mamba MR-1s from Quadratec. To my knowledge (and Quadratec's) these are the first Mamba MR-1s to be brought into Australia. Here is a link to the makers spec sheet:

http://www.mambawheels.com/Mamba_Images ... 0Sheet.pdf

I opted for the Silver rims (for their stealth but I admit the Gunmetal ones were very tempting): Part # 6865S+13's. These look the most like OEM MOABs (at half the price), and I didn't want to draw any attention from the boys in Blue in NSW.

I bought them in three orders over the past two months (to avoid the GST). I have to give rapts to Jason at Quadratec for handling it all for me and keeping me advised on the warehouse transfer and shipping date. UPS did a great job delivering them (within 3-5 days of Jason's dispatch).

When the first two rims arrived I did a test mount on the KJ to check the mount, and clearances of all components.

Here are some photos of the test mount: http://s555.photobucket.com/albums/jj45 ... 50/Mambas/

I will be keeping my original KJ Alloys to continue to run my Bridgestone D694s as my daily drive wheel/tyre combo (until these are so worn they would have to be replaced). The Mambas are initially my 'event or outback' wheels and will get a more agressive set of tyres (hopefully next week in time for the big reveal at the NSW LOST camping trip). I am leaning toward the Cooper STTs in 255/70 size but will need to do a test mount to verify clearances - but with the 1/2" reduction in backspace I think they will clear the sway bar.

More pics and info to come. Cmohr thanks for your ongoing assistance with the research, much appreciated.

:BANANA:

Post subject: Re: New Wheels - Teaser Pics
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:35 pm 
LOST Addict

i DON'T LIKE EM..... :-)r :-)r

I think you should send them to me, so as I can check them to make sure they are round, and perform as wheels should, of course this may take a few years to compile all the data, but in my mind, this is the best option for all.

Looking forward to seeing them with tyres.

Lucky Bugger. :BANANA:

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Noice looking wheels Glen. Cmohr's recommendation has some merit, although research will be needed for the first 100,000km on a particular green 02KJ that is lurks on the Gold Coast 8)

I finally decided to go with Hankook MT RT 103 245x75x16 tyres. Found the that size is not brought into QLD,
so had to order from NSW, only to be advised that there is no stock in Australia for approx 8 weeks :banghead:

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/sho ... =301&cat=3

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 am 
LOST Member

Location: Australia - Bris during the week and the Condamine at the weekend
Watch out for the STT. A great mud tire but no use on gravel roads - my last set managed 17,000 ks then delaminated on the highway. I'm not having a go at the tires but its what you want them for - switch to the ST on the last change over and much better wear for about the same grip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:38 am 
LOST Addict

Steve remember that these are 'event' tyres for me, so the tyre choices came down to two: the Cooper STTs and the BFG KM2 - mainly because they are the only two agressive tread tyres I could find in the 255/70R16 size (sort of the minimum width for holding well on 8" rims when airred down). The KM2s are just too expensive for me (and apparently worse in the wet than the STTs due to a lack of sipeing in the tread blocks) and I can get the STTs for $275 each (mounted/balanced,etc). I was not going to go to 265/70s, and 245/75s are not recommended by most tyre manifacturers for 8" rims. These are not daily drive tyres, they will be used for offroad trips, and the Cape later this year; the Bridgestone D694s on the stock alloy rims will stay the daily drive tyres. Re the shedding of tread blocks, from what I have been reading about that it seems to be related to pressures and overheating. Here are the pressures that Coopers recommends for the STT:

Sand driving including soft sand between 18-20 psi.
Gravel / shale driving between 26-28 psi
Bitumen roads between 32-34 psi

I believe that most of the STT tread block stress factures and shedding occurs as a result of high pressures than recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 am 
LOST Addict

Come on!!! Come on!!!!!!! :BANANA:

And

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 am 
LOST Addict

Friday morning all will be revealed. There are some teaser pics on AJOR - as you know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 pm 
LOST Addict

:POPCORN:

And