It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Think my KJ likes my Spanners
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:52 am 
LOST Member

Well another ugly problem is continually rearing its ugly head, Locking rear brake calipers. My KJ has just ticked over 150 000klms,
but back in October (3000klms ago) when I took it for a drive (I had a work truck back then) I noticed a nasty scraping noise coming from
the rear, only to find that my rear calipers were pushing bare metal on to the steel rotors.
Upon enquiry it had been doing it for a couple of weeks, needless to say a replacement of the pads and rotors were now needed.
Anyway being a person who likes to support local businesses I shopped around town to find one company knew how find what I wanted.
I ended up with a massed produced product from a company I had never heard of before, the product looked reasonable but this is where the ensuing drama starts.
Having pushed back thousands of calipers using a sizable G clamp and the old before, I assumed it would be no problem and the piston
slid back with no major tension and all seemed fine. I pushed the brake pedal to regain the pressure but noticed they hadn't released like
I thought they should. I turned out to be right they had locked to the pads to the rotors. To shorten this story, I have since stripped both rear
calipers apart, I have cleaned and inspected them neither with any major problem. The locking comes and goes and tends to give a loud growning
noise in reverse, which some how cordinates it self with the large puddle in my driveway. I have also checked the slides. I have no idea if the
pads and rotors are to blame.
I now have 2 screwed new rear rotors and cracking rear pads. I am up for suggestions.

Also the moral to this story, Don't let your rear pads get low before changing them, the pistons in these calipers are a fibre type piston
and as far as I can tell don't like being fully extended from my situation.
Sorry about the long post.

PS. Stay away from TRW front pads, they are junk.

Post subject: Re: I Think my KJ likes my Spanners
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:39 am 
LOST Addict

Hmmm, sounds a bit weird, wonder if the alignment of the rotor is correct. Do you still have the old one to see if the offset is different on the two????

I'm Toight... Toight lik a Toiger.

And

When I go to the Toilet, Chuck Norris is there to tear the squares off for me.

"Pass me another one Chuck, and keep em coming!! On sencond thoughts..Go get the hose"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:38 am 
LOST Addict

Maybe its two problems. Are you sure the noise is not coming from the rear service park shoes inside the hub? There have been a few cases of these things breaking loose from their mild steel bracket (that rusts away) and then rattling around inside the rear hub. Easy to check just pull the rear disk off the hub, if the stuff falls out there's your problem. Or maybe I missed something in your explaination.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

I have checked the disc runout, if anything maybe a little to straight. 5 thou of runout would stop the issue by helping
the caliper piston push back a touch. I have stipped every thing down about 10 or more times now, hence my frustration.
The rear handbrake shoes and all associated parts are in good nick still. This definately a locking caliper unfortunately.
It can go away just by sticking letting it all cool and and just moving the caliper by hand through the wheel. I am going to
lean towards trying a new set of pads in case by some misfortune they twist and lock up the caliper. Following that,
time for new calipers.
It also doesn't make a noise (unless in reverse, high pitched scraping noise, normally after a lot of rain, not likely to be related though)
the only indication you get is the KJ seems a touch sluggish and the smell and smoke when you stop. The heat radiates through to
the wheel leaving it untouchable due to heat, so it is most likely damaging alot more than the brakes itself. Also sitting in the one
spot for a couple of days can bring it on (this is when it happens the most).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Do the rear calipers use the same pins as the front ones? I have heard, and seen on my front ones, that the rubber around the caliper slide bolts expands over time and stops the sliding of the caliper. I greased mine and they improved but I need to change them eventually. Morris 4x4 has them but you can get them locally as well. North Coast Wrangler (user name) on AJOR, aka Nick, works at Mansfield and he checked for me so they can be had in the SE Qld area.

Here is a LOST post on this issue:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53988&hilit=caliper+slide