It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof top tent
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Howdy.

Does anybody out there have any experience with roof top tents ie what to look out for etc. Also, how does the mighty kj cope with a rooftop tent. I have a 06 renegade, just wanted to know other people's experiences....

Roof Top Tent & Awning with 7m of LED
Custom storage system with drawers
CTEK DC to DC Charger with 120AH AGM Battery, Inverter & extra 12V outlets
Uniden UHF with 6.5db antenna and 2Watt Backup Hanheld
IPF 800's with 130w globes
MSA 4X4 Dash organiser
& other stuff..

Post subject: Re: Roof top tent
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:41 pm 
LOST Addict

I have never seen one on a KJ but here are my observations having travelled with others that have them.

A few people in the Sydney Jeep Club have purchased Roof Top Tents for the upcoming Cape York trip. General observations are: they are heavy suckers compared to and equivalent ground tent (something like a Speedy popup tent as an example); they require a good rack platform to mount them on; in the case of a KJ, no KJ owners in SJC have picked that solution; on the Simpson Desert Trip last year we had one on a vehicle (not a KJ, but a members inlaws on a lifted Pathfinder) and following that vehicle through bends on the higher speed tracks (like Birdsville, and Strez, and even the slower Level Post Bay track to Lake Eyre) it was apparent that the weight of the tent was affecting high speed handling (leaning), it also affected their fuel economy. You also can't carry a second spare on the roof if you have a roof top tent. They must be taken down whenever you want to use the vehicle to go to get fuel, or shopping, etc. whereas other campers have a base and can run out to get things this is not the case with a RTT.

I have noticed that people that have them tend to leave them on alot because they are so heavy (one guy I know that has one uses a hoist to mount and remove his). Of course the height means that garages and car parks are a no go zone.

Finally, I believe that a roof top tent on a KJ would require replacement of the plastic rail feet with something more substantial. That's all I have.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
Bear in mind that the standard roof rails are only rated to 65kg - you probably weigh more than that, let alone the tent. People (including me) have loaded the rails to more than that, but I wouldn't like to bank on the rails holding excess capacity for any continuoas period.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:29 am 
LOST Newbie

mmmmm....

I've talked to the odd salesperson (arb, tjm) because i had similar concerns eg weight of 2 people on the roof & their explanation is that the load rating is a travelling rating ie not static. Even a landcruiser has a max of 100kg which is clearly more than 2 people in a roof top tent..

much to consider...

MSA 4X4 Dash organiser
& other stuff..

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 am 
LOST Addict

Of course when the vehicle is stationary it is not as affected by a raised centre of gravity (not the the extent that it would be when at speed and going around corners - not to mention the corrugations!). But you do need to be able to drive it with a packed up RTT, and that weight will be there when the vehicle is dynamic.

I did a quick search and here is what I found concerning weights:

ARB Series 2 - weighs 60KG in basic form, options like skirts, mossie nets, etc add additional kgs.
Kimberley MyCube - 40-50kg depending on options
Bushranger Open Sky - 44kg tent only, +2kg for the skirt, and 12kg if the awning is used as well.
Mr Swagman - 55kg.
Ironman - 100kg shipping weight
Ezy Sleeppod - 75kg

In addition you need something to mount the tent to, the KJ standard aero crossbars are not straight (they bow up in the middle), so you will need to replace those stronger straight bars.

As Pipes has indicated I don't know it those plastic feet will cope with the weight of two people plus the tent, allow about 60kg for the tent and equipment, whatever else you put in the tent, and two people at say an average of 70kg (140kg), I make that out to be about 200kg+ in static configuration.

The owners manual rating of, what was it 68kg, was when new. Years spent in the sun will cause the plastic feet to degrade and perhaps become more brittle. I'd replace them with a steel footed tube rail. Keep in mind that the figures in the owners manual are spec'd based on a standard factory height KJ, once you add a lift kit you will raise the centre of gravity a little more (say 2").

I'd suggest testing before you buy; stick 60kg + up on the roof and drive around (at speed) and see how you feel about the sacrifice in handling.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:22 am 
LOST Newbie

The plastic rails can support a roof topper, mine only weighs 32 kg plus my wife, me and bedding. Total aprox 200kg.
The topper is a bit different to the usual, in that it has a 3mm clear floor. Havn't seen this design before or since. Can't help with the make as it has none.
Bought it on ebay from a bloke who bought it on ebay. Measures 1400 x 2400x1200 high. The rear cover is from BCF.
I don't notice it on the roof at any speed. If i ever find out where it came from i'll post it up.

And some mods of thermostat and fan shroud.
More to come as need arises.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Petah812 for putting some pics up of your setup.

I'm glad to see somebody out there has a rft on their kj & hasn't noticed any negative effects etc...

I've never seen that setup at the rear before, I'd imagine it would spring open pretty quick. Is it a pain to collapse (like shower tents?)

I've seen some rft (from opposite lock) that weigh 42kg and a few on ebay with a similar weight.

Petah812 have you noticed much difference in fuel consumption?

Once again, thanks for the info...

MSA 4X4 Dash organiser
& other stuff..