It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chirping Uni joints and discarding the harmonic balancer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Now and then, since returning from the Cape, I have had a chirping bird under my KJ and have become convinced the problem was the rear shaft uni joints. It's gone in today for a refurbishment: new unis, harmonic balancer removal, and high speed spin balance. The driveline guys had some convincing arguments for the removal of the harmonic balancer, which I have written up in my post on AJOR about this problem. I pick it up tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turns out, or you can check the AJOR post here:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/sho ... p?t=111154

Post subject: Re: Chirping Uni joints and discarding the harmonic balancer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am 
LOST Member

That is the best plan of attack Glen, it is a funny chirping noise and I mostly found that it was easier to notice at low speed and reverse. I found the rear uni
to be the main issue with ground up needle rollers. Mate out of curriousity about the removal of the balance, is your shaft getting lengthened to compinsate for the removal? I think it will be fine with a precission balance as all the tailshafts that I had made over the years, they copped a real hard time with quite a few high speed excursion's (7000rpm at 1 to 1 gearbox ratio = 200+ klm/hr) and never had an issue. A bit more of an angle on the uni's with the Jeep but definately not that much abuse. Let us now how it goes.

Post subject: Re: Chirping Uni joints and discarding the harmonic balancer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 am 
LOST Addict

The reburbished shaft went back in yesterday and it's silky smooth. All the slack in the driveline is gone, no more thunk when moving off from a stop. I've updated the AJOR thread linked to above. There is no need to lengthen the shaft when removing the harmonic balancer. The balancer disc is press fitted to the yoke shaft. The driveline guys simply put the yoke in their big press and pushed the balancer disc off the yoke shaft - so everything is the same length but the big heavy disc is gone. Very happy with the outcome. BTW the unis are Spicer 1310s. In my case the uni at the front of the tailshaft was the one that was really bad (and running the steepest angle).