It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lift kit info
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings all!
New to this group. Would like to get some info on a 2.5 lift kit for my 06 KJ CRD. The RTA is clear as mud on the legality of it, it seems like they allow it to a point but getting someone to sign an inspection on it is a problem? Would love to get my KJ up a good few inches so I could put some 32's on like my friends in states have on. Anyone with some info on this I would greatly appreciate the help.
Cheers :pepper:
Nick
Marrickville , NSW

total noob

Post subject: Re: Lift kit info
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Frankin lift makes a lift specifically for the diesel model (because of the extra weight over the gas model) check them out people have posted good things about it

http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift.htm

thats the link

JBA shaved dow CV's
Detours Backbone Bumper System,
Smittybilt 8000lb synthetic line winch, surco roof rack
Cragar Soft 8 Silver Wheels
4.10 gears, 245/75/16 Wrangler Authority A/T
Pinch welds annihilated
Class III rear hitch

HOPEFULLY adding a snorkel soon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:51 am 
LOST Addict

Nick
The guy that most of us here on LOST & AJOR use & trust for suspension works is Murchison Products (CRDSTU)

...Stu is the man

http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/index.php

Mopar Skid Plates,dual battery system,Tubular Jeep s/steps,
2.5" Lift OME Shocks & King Springs,AirFlow Snorkel
Long Range fuel Tank 115 Ltre,Drawer Unit
Rola:Roof Rails,Basket,Shovel Holders & Luggage Boot
Desert Edge Off Road Camper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
If you are concerned about legality then I suggest you leave your Jeep stock, as just about any modification worth doing makes your car 'unroadworthy' (as defined by the faceless ones). 32" tyres would be a definite no-no as the TOTAL lift can't be more than 50mm - you would have 75% of that on the tyres which leaves you half an inch for the lift which isn't enough to get the tyres under the arches: not to mention that the tyres would rub on the steering arms at full lock which is also illegal.

Alternatively you could do what a lot of people do - put in a moderate lift (2"-2.5"), change to 245/75R16 tyres (30.5") and end up with a practical offroader which doesn't look totally illegal as a daily driver.

Depends on whether you want capability or looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks All for you help. Yeah I thought 32's would be a bit extreme I think they really had it up there for them to fit. Looks cool though! Pipeliner so in your own estimation when you have your roadworthy inspection done would they arc up over having a moderate lift kit installed in a KJ? Or would they perhaps not even notice, just as the do other things?
I just don't want to spend heaps of cash and not be able to get my roadworthy to pass!
Thanks heaps.
Cheers
Nick

total noob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Most every KJ owner on LOST Downunder has a technically illegal vehicle. You have a 2006 KJ so you will have ESP and under the terms of the emerging national standards documents (which some states have already adopted) no vehicle with ESP can be modified (lifted) without approval from the manufacturer - and you won't get that.

As Pipes indicated, as long as you don't go over the top with mods the KJs don't attract much attention from the constabulary. Better to drive a 'sleeper' that has capability than a show car that gets stopped every time you go to the shops. Stay with the proven tyre sizes for the KJ, and recognise that some cutting maybe required to clear the front bumper and inner guard. There is a chart around here (LOST) that explains what size lift and tyres requires what cutting - try looking in the Tyres section in the Board Index.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
Nick, if you look at Glend's signature and see what he has done to his KJ - he obviously doesn't have any problems getting his roadworthy in NSW each time he needs to re-register.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 am 
LOST Addict

Well.....no not yet. In NSW a vehicle that is under five years old does not require an inspection for the re-registration process. My KJ was first registered at the end of August 2007, so come August 2012 I will need to get it inspected (the first Pink Slip) to re-register. I am going to be taking it to my old mate who services my daughters Polo, and I know it will pass.