It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warning to JBA Link Extension Users
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:22 pm 
LOST Addict

This is a warning about a potential safety issue where the JBA Link Extension is used on KJ's with a lift of less than 4". Not sure who else has these other than Nobby and I.

Please check your Service Brake cables where they exit the body and pass over the upper rear control arm. I have found that the passenger side service brake cable is forced into contact with the fuel line (Return or Supply I am not sure but it's the thicker one so assume Supply) and will rub against the fuel line.

The problem was created by the Upper Rear Control Arm being pushed up in the rear body cavity by the Link Extension bracket. If the original equipment standoff clips are retained to manage the Service Brake clearance from the Upper Rear COntrol Arm then the brake cable will rub against the fuel 'supply' line and the standoff clips.

In my case there was such pressure on the service brake cable applied by the upper rear control arm that the rubber was worn through to the underlying steel sheaf of the cable. The brake cable also wore away the paint and created a flat spot in the metal on the fuel line.

Of course my KJ (with the JBA Link Extension) has completed a Cape York Trip this past year and I suspect that the pounding the rear suspension took up there has accelerated this wear problem.

I first noticed it as a very annoying metal squeak which I attributed to everything else before I checked this out.

So if you are running a JBA Link Extension please check your service brake lines for rubbing against the standoff clips and the fuel line. If they are rubbing then there will eventually be a problem with rub-through of the service brake cable or the fuel line.

I have removed the standoff clips and put corrugated tubing over the service brake cable. I have also tied the two service brake cables together with a cable tie to pull the passenger side one away from the fuel line (which is also now protected with corrugated tubing). Even with these steps the service brake cables are still touching the upper edge of the upper rear control arm.

Since there is no apparent place to tie the service brake cable to to raise it above the arm I suspect that ultimately I will need to remove the JBA Link Extension to return the arm to its original position.

This was originally posted on AJOR.