It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Shed Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:56 am 
LOST Addict

It wouldn't be an Aussie forum without a thread on Sheds! Ross reminded me of this when he mentioned his shed in Mackay; and I am in the middle of renovating mine. So let's see them, big or small, short or tall, post up your Shed photos and stories.

My new Shed: The new house had an older hardiplank'd and hardwood framed garage/shed (9m x 4m) but with a wall height (and rafter height) of only 2.1m it was a challenge for the lifted KJ expecially with anything on the roof. The back 3m of the shed was a more recent extension and it had been done in soft (untreated) pine, which leads me to the other problem as the Building Inspection revealled - termites! THe little buggers had infested the rear of the old shed and in addition to them eating the guys workbench (which you think he might have noticed) at least one stud and truss needed to be replaced; the bugs were dead and long gone thanks to a spray in 2009, but a decision had to be made. The Shed had an awning/carport on the adjacent slab area to the side which was another 6m x3.5m under cover but this awning was too low to get my camper trailer under (needs 2.1m). So I looked at demolition of the whole thing and replacing it with a 6mx6m highwalled steel shed, or going to the full 9m x6m type to fill up my slab/s - problem is these things start to cost some serious coin (if your a self-funded retiree) The quotes that came back were up above $10k for a pretty basic unit supply and erect (no power, assumed no slab work was required, etc). Then my son got in my ear about the amount of carbon that my existing shed was sequestering in its hardwood frame and trusses and how much greenhouse gas was going to be created by the making of the steel for a new shed, and reminded me I had the skills to fix it; so I came around to trying to fix it up with a minimum of cost using T2 Blue framing and trusses (and then giving it a good spray as well). As usual with a job like this, what you see it only half of the problem, but once your into it you can't go back. I decided to invest in a new colourbond roof as well. All up it's looking like costing just under $2k. I will decide later what I do about the side awning/carport, I am leaning towards just buying one from the local carport guy because I am buggered from lifting those hardwood trusses onto the cripple wall by myself. Here is an early photo, more to come.

PS: For those builder among you, the roof and cripple wall has been braced since these shots were taken.

Post subject: The Shed Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Location: Somewhere in Australia - or not, as the case may be.
Boy, I'd love to be able to do something like that to my garage - unfortunately my garage roof is also my bedroom floor! I have about 20mm clearance between the roof rails on the KJ and the joists.

Post subject: Re: The Shed Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Why am I only getting little beige squares instead of pics and nothing I do opens them. I know it must be in the settings somewhere as I can get all the pics on AJOR but not on here. I have had a look see in the FAQ's but didn't find any help.
Any help appreciated.
I'll get some pics of my shed in Mackay whilst up there.
Regards Ross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Same here. No Pics.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Here are some update photos. I don't know why some of you can't see the photos.

The bulk of the construction effort is finished now, well the heavy stuff anyway. The entire roof was replaced with new Colourbond and flashings; and I added a skylight/whirlybird. The garage door guy is coming today and it still needs some exterior door flashings and the paint and some work inside but the structure is finished. The side carport/awning still has to be built over the other slab but I may contract that out as my body has taken a beating building this new wall and roof.

I now have over 500mm clearance between the KJ crossbars and the garage door opening and the bottom of the trusses, and I think I have enough clearance above the door to the roof to mount the door without loss of any of that clearance.

There is enough length in there to fit two KJs nose to tail and still have plenty of room to walk around them and between them. The section at the rear will become the workshop once I have finished it to lockup stage.

Here are the photos:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:00 pm 
LOST Member

You have done a fine job there Glen. Just think of the lift you can fit now...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:27 pm 
LOST Member

9m X 6.6m x 3m
Just finished a tidy up before starting to get stuck into the Chief.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:01 am 
LOST Addict

Looks good Ross, lots of shelves and tool space. Pretty substantial framing in there as well, guess that's the Qld wind rating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:17 am 
LOST Member

Hi guys,
Well done to both of you those sheds look good.
Cheers Gi frog James