It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Putting in a new torque converter
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm sick of the "shudders" that I get from the stock torque converter when the GDE tune torque hits it when I am towing uphill. I have ordered a 'better' one from Torco in California which I am assured "will handle your 335 ft/lbs of torque" available from the GDE tune. The ' best' one is undoubtedly the Suncoast TC but it cost something like $700 USD and then add the shipping. The Torco units are remanufactured from stock 545RFE TC housings and according to them they have:

machine all surfaces, balanced, etc. Quote "All parts in our torque converters are modified to exceed OEM standard! Impeller Hubs, Turbine Hubs, O-Ring, Seals, Bearing, Races, Thrust Washers, Stator Caps, Springs, Ring Gears, Lockup Cluthes, Lockup Lining, Bushing, and Front Cover." Has a 1 year replacement warranty (no, does not include labor). Says they've been in business in So Cal since 1983 and they have overwhelmingly positive ratings from what I have found (ebay, hotrodders.com, others...). I'm thinking it could be a good thing!

Their price is $165 USD plus shipping! Pretty amazing price, and at that price worth a punt I think.

So it's on its way. I will keep you posted. BTW I have a thread in the CRD section on the main board as well.

Post subject: Re: Putting in a new torque converter
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:25 am 
LOST Member

That is a good price Glend, the same work here would run you $700-$1000 to get done. Main things that fail in TC's is the stator so its good to see it is upgraded, was there any info on brazing the internal fins as this is also an area of concern. It could be the difference in price between the Suncoast one and it. Good thrust washers and torington bearing are good upgrades to have as well. Did they also qoute stall speed, the thing is if it is a V8 convertor and not
a diesel one it will forever be slipping with the torque of your motor with its tune, although it would probably spin the wheels through 2nd gear so it may be fun.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 pm 
LOST Addict

They do have a low stall speed model and I talked to them about which one is better suited to my GDE tuned output and was steered toward this model so we shall see.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:40 am 
LOST Addict

The new torque converter arrived mid-week. I started the transmission removal process today. It took me about five hours to get to the point where I can lower the tranny and remove the converter. GDE published a 23 step process to get it out and to the point where the new converter can go in, then reverse the process to put it all back together. It's certainly the most challenging thing I have tackled with the KJ. More coming soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Very interested in the outcome :)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:57 am 
LOST Addict

New converter is in and all the bits put back where they belong. Did a test run up to 105kph and everything seems fine. It pulls up hills at low rpm (1400) in top gear and accelerates going up without complaint so seems to be working as it should. I may do a write up on the install process if there is enough interest to justify it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:33 am 
LOST Addict

I have put a write-up on the install steps up on AJOR in the KJ section. No photos sorry, I was too busy.