It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Black Diesel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:08 am 
LOST Member

SargeIndustries wrote:
I do from time to time. You will end up with sticking turbo veins if you do it too much. If your head gasket leaks, it will smoke badly at an idle.

How much do you use at a time? I still don't know I'd use it in the CRD. I have about 20 gallons saved right now. Keep talking myself out of putting together a filtering system.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:25 pm 
LOST Member

I usually run it 50/50. You could run it at 5 gallons a tank if you choose since you only have 20 gallons...

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:01 pm 
LOST Member

SargeIndustries wrote:
I usually run it 50/50. You could run it at 5 gallons a tank if you choose since you only have 20 gallons...

How are you filtering it? I would probably start out running it in my 7.3 first to see how it runs.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:49 am 
LOST Member

Top 3 ways to filter
1. Using a still. That will also remove the black color
2. Centrifuge
3. Bag filters, but unfortunately it still let's sludge through. The sludge is smaller than 1 mic.

I've ran it in my 7.3 for about 7500 miles and bag filtered 3x and still got sludge build up in the fuel bowl. Truck did run very well though when the filter did not plug up. It took awhile to finally get the tank all washed through with dozens of fillups of straight diesel. I have not ran it in over a year because I will finally be buying a centrifuge in about 6 weeks. :D

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:30 pm 
LOST Member

CIMARRON13 wrote:
SargeIndustries wrote:

How are you filtering it? I would probably start out running it in my 7.3 first to see how it runs.

I run my oil through a centrifuge spinning at 6000 RPM. Then I pump it through a 10mic and 3mic filter as it is pumped into the vehicle. My CRD stock fuel filter head has been modified to accept a CAT filter that is 2mic absolute. Haven't had any filter problems...

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

Can you send me details on your centrifuge Sarge?? I'm buying one in about 6-8 weeks.

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 pm 
LOST Member

hucorey wrote:
Can you send me details on your centrifuge Sarge?? I'm buying one in about 6-8 weeks.

pm me your cell phone number and I while snap some pics with my phone and send them to you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Resurrecting this thread....

HI,

New to the site but not to jeeps or diesels, DD is a '90 wag with a 4BT Cummins in it running WMO/black diesel/w85. Fun truck is a 82 CJ that is awaiting a "cost effective" 4BT to come along. - Will be a blast with a snorkel! Yes I am a diesel addict.

Anyways back to business,
Looking a getting a liberty CRD for my wife and was wondering how well it likes WMO. My current blend is 85WMO/15RUG and been running it for years in various vehicles.

Do the heads coke up at all?

Will Water/meth injection help the vane issue? If WOT helps it then it won't be an issue, my wife drives like the hounds of hades are on her tail - seriously could replace the fuel pedal with a on/off switch :)

I know almost nothing about the VM/MOtorolli (sp?) motor, but if it will drink W85 then looks like I am going to become closely acquainted.

THanks,
John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

The sticky veins will not go away with WOT. Ash does not burn. I would suggest a turbo without variable veins if you plan to have success with burning WMO. If not you will get really good at removing the turbo and cleaning. I was able to remove mine in 35 min:).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK Thanks,

What is the purpose of the CAT filter? Larger?

Anyone experimented with Water/meth injection to clean/keep clean turbo vanes?

THX John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:10 am 
LOST Member

CAT filter is much less money than stock and it is 2 micron absolute.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

That '92 would be a first generation Cummins with a mechanical VE pump + mechanical injectors. No Edge or chip or anything else aside from tuning with a few wrenches.
joelukex4 wrote:
Met a guy recently running his 92 Dodge cummins on a 50/50 blend of motor oil & diesel. Had a pump, tank & filter in bed of pickup. Sucked up any oil he could get and it was filtered and run to the bed tank. This oil was then filtered through a one micron filter and blended to 50% in his fuel tank. The Dodge ran good. He also had an Edge chip and sure could put out some smoke.

Bingo.

Depending on whether you have a VE pump or a P pump in that 4BT, I'd stick to B5-B20.

At these concentrations, you'll have an excellent lubricant & cleaner already blended into your diesel. Add an anti gel additive during winter, as bio likes to gel a bit quicker than #2; though, most places that sell bio reduce the concentration at the pump during winter. Change your fuel filter every couple thousand miles initially, even B2 has a propensity to REALLY clean accumulated slime from your tank.

Use a bit of biocide in your tank every Fall, especially with biodiesel - it loves to grow algae, due to it's love for water.

If you're planning to add used motor oil to the tank, no more than a quart per 40 gallons; and clean your lift pump screen religiously every so often.
CIMARRON13 wrote:
I've been debating buying a bio setup but grease seems hard to find with local biofuel places buying it up. Black diesel seems interesting. I usually have plenty used oil laying around.
Don't know if I would put more than 10-20% in the CRD. I am putting a Cummins 4BTAA in my Land Cruiser and plan on running that at a higher % of some sort of bio.

A truly excellent way to cause deposits to form on your injector nozzles, so, NOT. This was done strictly with mechanical injectors & non detergent ATF back in the day.
joelukex4 wrote:
If you can use transmission fluid or hydraulic fluid. Same results but thinner oil to start with when mixing with diesel.

Post subject: Black Diesel
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:02 am 
LOST Member

Tip from a pro... black diesel is a real PITA to make right (from experience) you need to filter it several times and centrifuge it to get out the sludge and settle out the moisture, then you cut it with gasoline or chemicals to thin it out... and you can not run it in anything with a common rail injection system as it is too high pressure, so that means Ford 6.0 and older and 02 and older dodge and anything pre duramax from gm... I run my 78 dodge d100 diesel (original Mitsubishi 4.0) on home grow but to make it WAY simpler I just put all the used atf at work in a barrel and we run it through a 2 micron filter when we pump it into the fuel tank... it burns great and runs the turbo harder and spools sooner, we have a few guys who run it in their 7.3 super duty’s also, heck I got a customer at work who hasn’t bought diesel fuel in 5 years cause the used atf is all he runs... as an added bonus atf doesn’t gel in the winter and no one will steal a 5 gal can of it from the back of the truck, and after the 2 micron filter on the transfer pump it’s cleaner than the stuff at the diesel stations :) never have to change the trucks fuel filter again... also bio diesel and fry oil is a very messy proposition and it sludges the heck out of and engine’s oil system... just my 2c

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk