It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Wow, 35% drop? I didn't expect to hear such a decrease. As a matter of fact, from everything I was aware of I didn't expect to hear of a drop at all. Thanks for the feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

JPFreek1 wrote:
Wow, 35% drop? I didn't expect to hear such a decrease. As a matter of fact, from everything I was aware of I didn't expect to hear of a drop at all. Thanks for the feedback.
If you check Dodge commercial section for leasing and such they have or did have a section on FFV cars and stated that you could have as much as a 30% decrease of fuel range. That is a 30% drop in fuel ecomony stated a round about way if I ever heard one, must have had lawyer imput as to how to say it and still be PC for some people we have a love hate relationship with most of the time.

Biodiesel power drop is depending on the feedstock, such as soybean, or animal fat.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 am 
I live here
I live here

E85, Inc is planning on building two plants in Ohio. One in Newark and another might go in my hometown of Lancaster.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 am 
LOST Member

Minnesota has the most E85 pumps in the country and the most production, so I was astonished when the new fuel station near me went in without E85. It does however have 4 on road Diesel pumps and 4 off road Diesel Pumps, along with the 12 Gas pumps. That is a high percentage of Diesel pumps for a fuel station in my area. I take that as a sign of where things are going. My personal belief is that regular fuel will creep up in the percentage of Ethanol in the blend over the next decade above 10% and that is where the additional ethanol plants are going to sell their product.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 am 
LOST Addict

Tokyojoe wrote:
E85, Inc is planning on building two plants in Ohio. One in Newark and another might go in my hometown of Lancaster.

Haha, I used to work at Anchor Hocking!

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:24 pm 
I live here
I live here

My dad retired from Anchor. He was Secretary of the union there. Anchor killed a lot of jobs there by shutting down two plants back in the 80's and cutting wages in half.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Tokyojoe wrote:
My dad retired from Anchor. He was Secretary of the union there. Anchor killed a lot of jobs there by shutting down two plants back in the 80's and cutting wages in half.

It was well after the 80's when I worked there....Man that place was a hot one. Some of the new temp workers wouldnt last a whole shift!

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Again here are the details that REALLY make a big difference:

In fact, a gallon of E-85 (fuel containing 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) has an energy content of 80,000 Btu — compared with about 118,000 Btu for a gallon of gas....... Here we loose over 30% of the potential energy just by deluting it with 85% of natural products, and we are still stuck using unreplaceable fuels.

A gallon of Petrol Diesel yields 139,000 BTU versus 132,000 from 100% grown from the sun Biodiesel, not just 85% natural products.....
Here we have a loss of 6% in power and we are using a 100% natural solution that provides much better gas mileage than unleaded due to the amount of torque it can provide in a really large gear, making the engine work much less. Biodiesel is much easier to make, you can do it yourself in your backyard using a vegetable press machine.

One last thing, if you ever need to go get an emission test done on your diesel, and you have already taken off you cat converter, go buy a couple of gallons of vegetable oil from the grocery store and put it in on an empty tank and you will find ZERO emmissions when they put it on the machine, and on your way there you may notice it runs quieter, smells better, and has a bit more power only because there is 87% less heat and friction on the engine.

Just in case you didnt know BTU is a term that in this case describes the amount of energy that can be acheived from burning the fuel.

Seems obvious to me which way it should be going....

Clear Tint Bra Hood, Grill, Bumper, Blinkers, Fog & Head Lights
2001 Jetta TDI Midnight, Upsolute Chip Stage 3, .215 injectors, 2.5" Borla Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

oldnavy wrote:
JPFreek1 wrote:
This is an interesting topic, especially since we wrote a story on the future of fuel and the use of biofuels in our Aug/Sept issue of JPFreek. You can check out the O+WP, a biofuels education project, in the issue at:

http://www.jpfreek.com/Images/JPF-No3.PDF

So, do any of you actually use E85 or biofuels? I'm curious about its use and how it performs compared to regular petrol and diesel with Jeep owners.

I had a friend using E85 for a while, but quit using it because it was only 20% cheaper then regular gas and his mpg drop was almost 35% in his FFV Chevy PU truck.

All the B100 diesel users I know report at most about 5% drop in mpg when running it in VW TDI's.

WVO Does not cause lower MPG in my Jetta TDI or CRD, A good Cetane booster from Walmart seems to compensate for this b100 powerloss here at 6,200 feet above sea level. The manufacturing process actually takes out some of the extra lubricity that WVO has. Too much water in the mix to remove large particles I think is the key, extra water speeds up the process. I have made biodiesel in my garage and you have to spray water in it to cause the Lye to catch large particles sink to be drained off as waste. Just a guess that this process takes away from the lubricity qualities of WVO where you have almost 90% less heat than Petrol diesel, I havent seen much on the heat rating from biodiesel compared to WVO, but I bet WVO is a lot less heat, it is thicker and harder to use in cold temps, but a good kit takes care of that by heating it up using the engine coolant.

I have never seen a change in MPG with my TDI Jetta using the WVO veggie kit, I typically averaged 48-51 highway and 45 city on veggie. I Never got less than 37mpg that I can remember. I Actually got better performance on WVO in the higher RPMs, of course it could be related to my upgraded stage 3 injectors with 2X larger holes. I did notice alot less smoke, so when on petrol diesel I could gun it in first from the light in the jetta I would almost completely cover the guy behind me in a black cloud and my trunk and rear license plate was always covered in black soot from in town driving, but with veggie almost no smoke comes out even when pushing the performance module to its limits. I was using Chip mod and a module with larger injectors, exhaust, and intake. So WVO is free junk from the frying pan at restraunts, so does it matter if you lose a bit? Hundreds of gallons free for the taking.

I have used filtered WVO (from a Chinese restraunt) in my CRD with out a kit and no problems and its hard to see if smoke is coming out while driving I couldnt say if that's different but it does smell different. but I can say that using WVO at highway speeds in Colorado of 75mph, so going 80+ the engine is quieter and seems to have more torque when passing using the overdrive, if you push down to far it drops to 5th gear and its hard to tell anything different going 85 and 3,000rpms.

From a biodiesel station I seem to get worse gas mileage, but not by much, maybe 1mpg at most going highway speeds with no noticeable power change just a slight decrease in mileage offset by cetane booster, still softer engine noise.

Clear Tint Bra Hood, Grill, Bumper, Blinkers, Fog & Head Lights
2001 Jetta TDI Midnight, Upsolute Chip Stage 3, .215 injectors, 2.5" Borla Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 pm 
LOST Addict

With the VW's getting excess of 40 mpg's a 5% drop is only about mpg and most of us do not track our mileage that closely to notice a 1 or 2 mpg drop. I never noticed any drop in MPG's when I was using B100 in my '00 NB TDI or my '83 MB 240D, but lots of people did report they had a 1 or 2 MPG drop.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine