It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ethanol Sucks!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 am 
LOST Junkie

I know there are people on this forum that profit from it but I'm sorry. I'll be boycotting any and every gas station that uses ethanol in there fuel from now on.

The last couple of tanks I got a whopping 187 and 195 miles out of a full tank!! I wasn't sure if it was the ethanol or not so I went to an ethanol free station here in town and my mileage immediately shot back up to 238 then 242 a tank. That's a difference of about .25 a mile to .33 a mile, a savings of around $16 a tank!! That's just absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. I don't know the truth behind it but add on top of that the fact that ethanol could "possibly" be bad for your engine. I'll take my chances on the 3.55 gas and not the 3.43 gas.

Anyone else been tracking this?

Tow Hooks ~ HH Rear Hitch
Hella 500's

gwip Design

Post subject: Ethanol
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ethanol has about 50% less chemical energy in it than gasoline does. Every gas staion I've stopped at in TN or VA has the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" warning. I haven't been able to find one that doesn't contain ethanol.

I get 10% worse fuel economy with ethanol.

Ethanol is a complete crock. It was intoduced as an oxygenate. The original oxygenate was lead, which cause all kind of nuerological problems in children, then there was MTBE, which was soluble in water and raised all kinds of pollution issues. Now its ethanol, which is also soluble in water, but biodegradable. The problem with ethanol is its sustainability. You're stealing water and land from food growing crops, which isn't much of a problem today, but will be one day. Water rights are going to be the concern of the future.

Ethanol decreases particulate, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbon emissions. However, it increases the emission nitrous oxides (NOx's). NOx's lead to haze, so we'll have "healthier" air with low visibility.

Last edited by VTNomad on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

10% is about what my loss was as well. We're lucky enough to have 3 places here in town that don't have it.

Hella 500's

gwip Design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I dont use anything but regular unleaded gas no ethanal or E85 orwhatever else there is but Im not all that worried about the price of gas either :?

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

I usually don't worry myself with the gas price either. I see it as something I can't change so why bother getting upset about it. However the fall from 240 to 190 as stated is completely unacceptable and I'm more than happy to pay the extra for the mileage. Especially considering it's still cheaper than it was at the beginning of the summer! :lol:

Hella 500's

gwip Design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

pokefan wrote:
I usually don't worry myself with the gas price either. I see it as something I can't change so why bother getting upset about it. However the fall from 240 to 190 as stated is completely unacceptable and I'm more than happy to pay the extra for the mileage. Especially considering it's still cheaper than it was at the beginning of the summer! :lol:
That's odd I get better mpg's using at least 10% ethanal.My KJ really runs great when running 93 octane,15% ethanal back home in SD.Then agian I really have never run any gas without ethanal since my KJ will knock/ping with anything under 90 octane gas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:48 am 
LOST Member

E85 only gives you better mpgs in engines that were designed for or converted specifically to run on E85. Running it on a normal engine has no benefit.

Post subject: Re: Ethanol
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:08 am 
LOST Newbie

VTNomad wrote:
Ethanol has about 50% less chemical energy in it than gasoline does. Every gas staion I've stopped at in TN or VA has the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" warning. I haven't been able to find one that doesn't contain ethanol.

I get 10% worse fuel economy with ethanol.

Ethanol is a complete crock. It was intoduced as an oxygenate. The original oxygenate was lead, which cause all kind of nuerological problems in children, then there was MTBE, which was soluble in water and raised all kinds of pollution issues. Now its ethanol, which is also soluble in water, but biodegradable. The problem with ethanol is its sustainability. You're stealing water and land from food growing crops, which isn't much of a problem today, but will be one day. Water rights are going to be the concern of the future.

Ethanol decreases particulate, carbon monoxide, and unburned hydrocarbon emissions. However, it increases the emission nitrous oxides (NOx's). NOx's lead to haze, so we'll have "healthier" air with low visibility.

Actually, lead was not an oxygenate, it was an octane booster. Oxygenates are pretty much useless in modern cars with computerized engine management. They had some benefit in reducing emissions for engines with carburetors, especially at high altitude. Currently, ethanol is little more than a federal pork program for corn farmers. Ethanol from corn has little or no benefit for emissions and little or no net energy is gained beyond what it takes to produce it.

Post subject: Unless it is in beer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Or other adult beverage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But Ethanol never goes into my CRD fuel system :!: :!: :!: :!:

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"Up to 10% Ethanol" is all we get in the Chicagoland, Northern IL area.

Previous: 95ZJ 92XJ 90XJ 80CJ5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ethanol is an alternative fuel not a better fuel. The reason OEM's build E-85 vehicles is because they get federal emission tax credits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Jeep Guy wrote:
Ethanol is an alternative fuel not a better fuel. The reason OEM's build E-85 vehicles is because they get federal emission tax credits.

Aye..... I know my KK doesn't like winter blend fuel :evil:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:20 am 
LOST Addict

We are mandated to have 10% of it here so we have no choice. Winter blend sucks. My gas mileage has gone down from bad to worse with it already.

But it is a jeep and a 4,200lb brick and when the snow flies I will still go anywhere I want.......haha

Post subject: Re: Ethanol Sucks!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

so let me get this straight,
Ethanol costs a little less than gas...
But, ethanol doesn't get you as many miles per gallon...
So, using Ethanol means fuelling up more often...

So, why bother? if it adds up to the same cost in the end?

2 reason I can see:
1) The ability to use any blend of go-juice the local situation has available.
2) Having a smug sense of self-worth at 'being green' because you can (as evidenced by the little plaque you put on the back that came with the conversion kit)

my conclusion, other than reason 1, I can't see a justified cost for a kit to convert my liberty.

4x2, 02 black liberty sport, pioneer stereo, curt tubular class III trailer hitch
...so far

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:26 am 
LOST Member

Personally I like ethanol for the following reasons:

1) Living in SD, it's readily available everywhere.
2) It's cleaner burning.
3) It supports my local economy (they produce it here in my state, and they also grow the corn and other products used in production).
4) It decreases my dependency on non-renewable resources, and you can purchase kits relatively easily.
5) It cuts down on the funding of terrorism.

So lets recap. It's clean, it's renewable, it helps the local economy, and it pinches the pockets of people who fund the morons shooting at me. Is it a better fuel? No. It's a different fuel. It's one that I use for the above listed reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pierocksmysocks wrote:
Personally I like ethanol for the following reasons:

1) Living in SD, it's readily available everywhere.
2) It's cleaner burning.
3) It supports my local economy (they produce it here in my state, and they also grow the corn and other products used in production).
4) It decreases my dependency on non-renewable resources, and you can purchase kits relatively easily.
5) It cuts down on the funding of terrorism.

So lets recap. It's clean, it's renewable, it helps the local economy, and it pinches the pockets of people who fund the morons shooting at me. Is it a better fuel? No. It's a different fuel. It's one that I use for the above listed reasons.

Lets see how your engine likes E-15, I have heard about a lot of running issues wit E-15. Glad I drive a CRD, but my old tractor and small engines are stuck using E-10 and soon E-15. Most of the rental cars I drive put up wit E-10 OK as far as I can tell.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:25 am 
LOST Member

Actually I have had 0 issues running E-15. All the gas stations up here run an ethanol mix, and you actually pay more for regular unleaded than the midgrade blend. The only given is less gas mileage, but it's not really noticeable. The savings offsets the mileage without too many issues, but if I were that concerned about mileage, I'd go with a Prius.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:31 am 
LOST Member

I started boycotting all the stations with "contain's up to 10% ethanol" a couple years ago. Ran out of places to fill so I had to give up. But I only have to fill my scooter with gas now. My TDI and CRD take diesel. I don't buy the renewable resource excuse on the ethanol in Austin. If that was the big push there would be diesel pumps with "may contain up to 5% biodiesel" stickers but there is not. We have one place in town that sells B100 so I have to fill up fuel cans to blend later when filling with D2.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 am 
LOST Member

I have a CRD therefore the ethanol is not a problem in my jeep but my wife's car did recently drop in fuel economy or we have just recently realized the drop. She has 78,000 and the original iridium spark plugs. I replaced those with some of the Bosch +4 and her mileage may be back on track. She is still on her first tank with the new plugs so I can not say for sure if her mileage has increased as of yet. Also note she had 78,000 on the original plugs so I am unable to say for sure it the $5.95 per plug Bosch +4 are what have fixed the fuel economy due to the ethanol blend or replacing bad spark plugs. Supposedly the iridium plugs are to be 100,000 mile plugs, not sure I buy into that though. I guess I was posting this as food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm 
LOST Member

You can remedy all the ethanol issues by running Startron Fuel Treatment. When I lived in Iowa ethanol fuel was 15 cents a gallon cheaper than regular (fuel prices were $1.79 then). Now it's still 15 cents cheaper but prices are 3.79 so it's actually cheaper to buy the more expensive fuel. Personally I prefer to mix ethanol with Ruby Red Squirt (Mmmm!). Also winter diesel has ethanol added to it to prevent jelling.