It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tank pictures and other conversion pictures.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:52 am 
LOST Member

Generally a bad idea because the exhaust heat is uncontrolled. Coolant heat gets hot relatively quickly and has a thermostat to control the top end. If the end goal is to save money, the exhaust fuel line would cost more than coolant and fuel line. If the goal is to get it hotter quicker, I am not sure it would really work that much quicker. And besides the Common rail likes to be heated also which speeds up the switchover time.. Also the exhaust is on the other side of the engine from the fuel, that is making it more complicated.

If you really wanted to use the exhaust have the coolant come out of the engine (where it goes to the EGR) then go around the exhaust header to cool the header and heat the water at the same time. Then have the coolant heat the Veg oil.

Also as an update I have put 90k grease miles on this Jeep in the last 3 years. Still runs flawless. Actually it runs better than when we got it!

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Greasey Bob for the reply.

A lot of food for thought.

Edit: I would agree with running better. My f250 runs better on grease. It is quieter and smoother running on grease.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 am 
LOST Member

I think it runs better from the ORM and EHM that where not on it when I got it. It actually runs better on diesel than grease I think it has more power on diesel probably from the heat. Not that most people can tell the difference.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 am 
LOST Member

I should update this except that I do not have the pictures anymore or a way to post them. But I can say this it now has 172k miles and it was converted around 72k so that is 100k grease miles and it is running great. My wife does not work so far away anymore more like 15-20 miles a day. I fill the veg tank once a week and the diesel tank once a month.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:34 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the update Bob. I'm really glad to see that these vehicles are pretty happy on grease. Many folks said a common rail would not work - you did good by not believing them.