It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tank pictures and other conversion pictures.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:29 pm 
LOST Member

Tank picture. Image

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

Last edited by Greasey Bob on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tank picture.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 am 
LOST Addict

Interesting. Is this tank heated? How much does it hold? What are you doing for a spare?
Has building a larger divided main tank been considered?

Long Range Automotive in Austrailia makes a 30.38g/115l tank that goes in the stock location on the KJs. Discussed a bit in this thread. Maybe have something similar made, maybe 5g diesel / 25g veggie.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 am 
LOST Member

My conversion has two WVO tanks the SS one is heated (5 gallons) the 20 gallon aluminum spare tire tank is just a drip tank. It has only been tested down to 30 degrees but I live in south florida and it is not a problem.Image

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 am 
LOST Member

In the engine compartment you can see the veg filter, the orange wrap is the common rail line heater, the gray wrap is insulation to protect the wires. The coolant hose has be reruited to the FPHE not in the picture.Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 am 
LOST Addict

20g x 7.5 lbs per gallon = 150 lbs, plus the weight of the tank, I'm guessing 160-170 lbs hanging off the back there. That's more than double the weight of a 245/75R15 (45-55 lbs tire / 12-18 lbs rim) spare sitting back there. Have you noticed any problems carrying that much weight on the door?

Since the spare tire carrier's lugs are obviously obscured, how is the tank connected to the door? Pics?

Does the drip tank feed the main tank continually?

Am I correct thinking you missed a number on the SS tank, 25 gallons?

1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm 
LOST Member

It has been 22k miles and the door does not mind at all. The bottom tank is 4.6 gallon and it is heated with coolant. There are three fittings on the bottom of the tank. (1) coolant in. (2)coolant out. (3) Fuel out. On the top of the tank there are two fittings. (1)Fuel In (2) Vent.

The fuel in is connected to the bottom of the spare tire tank and the Vent is connected to the top of the spare tire tank.

I wieghted the spare tire with the mount it is 58 pounds that is probably 1/3 the wieght of the full tank. But it really does not mind. We close the door gently. When the tank is closed it looks like someone is standing on the rear bumper. I used the factor nuts and mounting bolts with washer to make up for the curve of the rear door. The vent line and the fuel line run along the bottom edge of the door and are not visible. They tuck in behind the bumper that leads to the SS tank behind the rear tire. ImageYou can see the top and bottom connections for the fuel and vent and the factory bolts that hold the tank onto the factory metal bracing.

Everything in life is a risk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

This is the FPHE it is mounted in front of the battery and below the battery next to the radiator. Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 pm 
LOST Member

This is the upgraded greasecar switch it is mounted to the bottom of the battery tray the factory fuel line goes to the switch and you can see the 3/8 hose coming from the FPHE and being connected with a $5 hose clamp. I normally do not use hose clamps. But it was tight getting in there.Image

Post subject: Re: Tank pictures and other conversion pictures.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, this is pretty awesome!

Where in south FL do you live?

31x10.5x15 BFG AT on black steels
Front and rear tow hooks
Polk audio db6501 full range speakers and tweeters
12" Kicker Comp CVR sub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 am 
LOST Member

Fort Lauderdale. You can not tell this in the picture but the rear glass door clears the tank by about 1/2 of an inch. NICE!!! There is a return valve switch that is mounted on the frame rail under the drivers seat. We flush for 10 seconds and then switch back to diesel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 am 
LOST Addict

So am I understanding this correctly, there is an additional 4.6g heated tank underneath next to the stock fuel tank thus resulting in over 40g of fuel when everything is filled?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 pm 
LOST Member

Yup, and it does not faze it a bit. And actually it is not next to the factory fuel tank it is a few inches away from the tank behind the rear wheel. It really is an impressive vehicle. My wife saw me taking pictures of the Jeep and she said: "Your are not going to sell my Jeepy!" she also said I should not show other people my trade secrets.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:39 pm 
LOST Member

Running on grease is not full proof. I Just had the hydroforce valve I was using for my return valve die on me. That made the veg go in and the veg return to the diesel tank. This caused the diesel tank to overflow on the road way. It was spraying on the back window.

I have a new greasecar valve that I will install this weekend. I plan on making improvements to the fuel connection under the car also while there. The worst part will be two days of driving on Diesel instead of Veg oil! And I hate it when I get the smell of diesel on me. Which happens anytime you open up the diesel system.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:11 pm 
LOST Member

I was reading this and realized I have not updated in a while. I did change that hydroforce out for a good new greasecar SV100 valve for the return I changed up some of the fuel lines while I was there. This was the only flaw in the system since 73k miles it now has 118k miles. I change the motor oil every other month. At that time I change the grease fuel filter also. Most of the time she goes about 150 miles for every gallon of diesel that I purchase for her.

It is still an impressive vehicle grease or no grease!

Last edited by Greasey Bob on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Awesome to hear things are rolling strong. Based on your experience, and my more limited experience, rolling on grease I'd say that these rigs are perfect wvo vehicles. I haven't had a single veggie related issue. The veg market has gotten a little tighter out here in the Bay Area since gas prices went through the roof. I'm still looking for a new source, so right now I'm paying $.65/gallon for oil. Still a lot better than $4.50 gallon for diesel! take care!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm 
LOST Member

My update so is nothing special. I had to changed the front ball joints I did upper and lower. I now have 133k miles which is about 60k grease miles. I have a new to me 2005 Mercedes E320 CDI that I just converted to grease and it makes me realize what a great grease vehicle the Jeep is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm 
LOST Member

I changed the motor oil today at 155k miles. That's 22k miles since August. I change the veg oil filter every time I change the oil and I also suck out the brake fluid and add new brake fluid, I figure that it can not hurt and it is cheap and easy. I do the same thing to the power steering fluid. We still get about 125-150 miles for every gallon of diesel fuel. I think we burn a lot of diesel on her day off at least as a percentage. We have taken 3 trips to central FL this year 600 miles round trip each time. I towed a smoker trailer 350 miles in one day and came back 350 more miles back I burned very little diesel on that trip. I was getting at least 25mpg of grease on that trip. Most of it at over 70 MPH. It was a good if tiring trip.

Best grease vehicle ever!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 am 
LOST Addict

Making me a bit jealous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm 
LOST Member

Probably would not work as well in Chicago if that makes you feel any better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the pics.

I've often thought about using the exhaust pipe to heat the wvo. Just run the fuel through copper pipe wrapped around the exhaust.

Your thoughts?